Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey Ferguson 1655 hydraulic drive problems.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#121 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 07:46 PM

I would have to keep the 20hp engine myself. I'm all about the Tim Taylor syndrome. And that pic proves nothing....no time/date stamp on it! LOL

#122 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 07:48 PM

I would have to keep the 20hp engine myself. I'm all about the Tim Taylor syndrome. And that pic proves nothing....no time/date stamp on it! LOL

LMAO, now I gotta find where the dam feature is to timestamp photos LOL.

#123 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 08:48 PM

I guess I know what one of my projects are for this weekend. Swapping Onans LOL. I at least want to get the 16hp Onan out of the Massey 1655 and get it put in the Snapper 1655 so I can finish getting it ready to sell. Then I can take my time and maybe even rewire some of it when I install the 20hp into the Massey 1655.

#124 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 01, 2011 - 09:14 PM

I got both of the Onans yanked and got the 16hp B48 put in the Snapper 1655 and have everything hooked up. I tried starting it and it fired off at first and then died from lack of fuel and then the battery died. Something smelled like hot metal or something is wired wrong so I am going to make that tomorrows project. I am almost 100% I have it wired right. The performer Onan is wired different then the B48 as far as it didn't have a separate starter solenoid, it was built in to the starter. I also had to swap throttle and choke cables. I am pretty sure I can figure out the wiring to make sure it is alright.

#125 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 06:41 PM

I got the Snapper 1655 finished. Rewired the whole thing since most of the wiring had already been tampered with and it wasn't pretty.

I rolled the Massey 1655 outside to pressure wash the engine bay where I couldn't get when I washed it the first time. I also took pics of the empty engine compartment and the Onan Performer 20hp that will be going in there.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1301787635105.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1301787661112.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1301787681179.jpg

#126 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 02, 2011 - 06:46 PM

I am going to start a new thread then for some other things I need to take care of on the Massey 1655. The Snapper 1655 will officially be gone on Tuesday. I took the rear rims and tires to the local tire shop and had the extra set of turf tires I got with the Massey 1655 put on because they were in better shape. I got them home and within an hour the one went flat. So I pulled it back off and took it back to the tire shop and had them put a tube in that one.

#127 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 06:15 AM

It's coming along nicely , now that the engine is out it might be a good time to check all the loader attachment points and welds before you put the engine back . Are you going to paint it now too ?

#128 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 06:21 AM

It's coming along nicely , now that the engine is out it might be a good time to check all the loader attachment points and welds before you put the engine back . Are you going to paint it now too ?

I am going to hold off on painting it for now. Just want to take care of everything mechanically with it and then probably in the fall or winter I will start stripping it down to paint.

#129 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 03, 2011 - 08:32 AM

I am going to hold off on painting it for now. Just want to take care of everything mechanically with it and then probably in the fall or winter I will start stripping it down to paint.

By far the best plan! Will likely be a year or more before I paint the diesel JB for the same reasons. Get EVERYTHING mechanically finished....then the paint. :thumbs:

#130 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 05:55 PM

I may be having to pick your brains about this because the Snapper 1855 that I recently purchased is acting up a little.  It seems fine in low range going in forward and reverse, but in high range it only seems to want to get up to speed properly in reverse, not forward.

I think I'll have to do a fluid and filter change to start off and check the tension on my belts.

Edited by jpswift1, March 05, 2016 - 05:55 PM.

#131 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Yes Sir, oil and filter first. Then pressure test charge and Hydraulic pressures
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#132 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:37 PM

Yes Sir, oil and filter first. Then pressure test charge and Hydraulic pressures

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to pressure test charge.  Could you guys give me some pointers with that?  I know the 3 point hitch raises and lowers as it should and it's not slow and doesn't lag.  It will lift me up while standing on it without an issue, but I don't know if that's related to the hydrostatic drive system or not.

#133 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:21 AM

Check that you have the correct drive belts and that they are tensioned properly.

• limebuzz and jpswift1 have said thanks

#134 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:41 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to pressure test charge.  Could you guys give me some pointers with that?  I know the 3 point hitch raises and lowers as it should and it's not slow and doesn't lag.  It will lift me up while standing on it without an issue, but I don't know if that's related to the hydrostatic drive system or not.

If it lifts you that well and you notice a small load on the engine it seems the charge pump is good.  Charge pressure is 100 psi and lift is about 700 psi.

As Coldone mentioned check that belt tension.

What did the oil look like?

• jpswift1 said thank you

#135 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:47 PM

If it lifts you that well and you notice a small load on the engine it seems the charge pump is good.  Charge pressure is 100 psi and lift is about 700 psi.

As Coldone mentioned check that belt tension.

What did the oil look like?

I didn't hear any belts slipping, but the guy I bought it from suggested changing the fluids because he wasn't sure how many hours were on them.  The dipstick for the transmission was hard to get loose by hand so I'm guessing it hasn't been changed in a while.......the fluid looked kind of tan.  I believe it's supposed to have ATF in it which is red, so this may be the issue.