Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey Ferguson 1655 hydraulic drive problems.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#106 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:33 PM

I am wondering how he is going to be able to ship it for $75 LOL.

That would be HIS problem! LOL

#107 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted March 19, 2011 - 03:21 AM

In the "for what it's worth" department, the Eaton 10 hydro fits on a Peerless 2500 gearcase and the Sundstrand fits on the 2600 gearcase. Nothing is mentioned about the Eaton 11, but it's a fair bet that it fits the same as the "10". For reference, see chapter 7.

http://www.cpdonline.com/691218.pdf

Someone on the other forum made reference to the fact that input rpm on an Eaton is higher than the output rpm, which explains the lower top speed for Eaton driven tractors over the, nominally, same tractors driven by Sundstrands. Relatively a smaller pump/bigger motor situation. I believe that all the internals for the 2 Peerless gearcases are the same.

Edited by TUDOR, March 19, 2011 - 03:28 AM.

#108 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 07:33 PM

My replacement hydro was delivered by the brown truck today. I got one from the guy coldone linked to. I asked him for a splined unit that showed no signs of leaking and he told me he would send me the best one he had. This thing shows no signs of ever leaking :D

DSC_0269.jpg

#109 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 07:59 PM

Great George! We should soon have vids of the 1655!

#110 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 08:05 PM

I gotta get the gaskets and parts from partstree first. I just got an email tonight that the stuff shipped today so hopefully I have it by the weekend but I am not going to hold my breath. I would love to be able to get the steering wheel off of it so I can replace the dash. I have one I bought a while ago that isn't perfect but it isn't missing the whole side like the current one. If this hydro fixes the drive problems I am going to rebuild the Onan B48 that was in the Case 448 and put in the 1655. I don't care for that performer that is in it.

I also ordered two new bushings for the steering plate that is mounted about the front axle. It is the only place I can find play in the steering and it wobbles pretty good on the old bushings.

#111 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 07:01 AM

That looks like a nice unit. I hope to see the 1655 up and running again.

#112 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 08:36 AM

I got the new hydro bolted in last night. After one failed attempt, I should have checked the pinion gear to make sure it was the same before attempting to set it in place the first time. I pulled it back out and put it on the bench. The pinion gear on the Bolens hydro is bolted on with a 1/4-20 bolt and washer and the Snapper is held on with a retaining clip. I think the gears were also different but I can't say for sure. I swapped the gears and put the retaining clip in place to hold the pinion on.

Set the hydro back in place and it fit like a glove. Bolted it up and pretty much have everything back together except for sheet metal. I still need to get the swash plate control lever off of the old pump and put on the new one and hook those two control linkages up. Then fill with fluid and test it out. I did try to remove the lever off the old pump last night by trying to pry with a screwdriver but it wouldn't budge and I called it a night. Will go out there tonight and give it a little more persuasion. :D

#113 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:17 PM

Well she is alive. Still gotta put the body panels back on and possibly switch seats with the other one. I also have to figure out why it isn't charging. It is worlds better then it was before, but now the problem is after driving the one with the Sundstrand in it, it doesn't even compare.

Here is a pic of the new hydro in its new home.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1301527072263.jpg

#114 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Yep, Sundstrand rules, but the Eaton is still a great hydro, just outgunned by the Sundstrand. So you're selling this one?

#115 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:44 PM

Yep, Sundstrand rules, but the Eaton is still a great hydro, just outgunned by the Sundstrand. So you're selling this one?

Yep, for the price I am going to get for it as a bare tractor I can't pass it up. Same as the Cub 147 I just sold. My coworker is the president of the baseball league and they need two tractors to pull drags with. Having one large garden tractor takes up enough space let alone two of them.

#116 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 05:21 PM

I was going to take a break from working in the garage tonight and work on some things for the site but decided I would go out and look at the wiring real quick since I was able to see the wiring diagram in the manual. I haven't tested it yet but I have my fingers crossed. I remembered seeing one of the a/c wires from the stator missing when I looked at it the other night. Well just a little digging around and I found the missing wire. They had it folded and inserted into the wire housing for the stator wires. I pulled it out and put a new end on it and plugged it into the voltage regulator.

I am charging the battery as we speak and will test it here in an hour or so. Best I can figure is the wire broke at one time and instead of fixing it right they just tucked it inside the wire housing to keep it from arcing. I hope it is that easy anyway :D

#117 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Awesome news, it was just that one wire. She charges really good. At idle it is putting out 10 amps and at middle throttle it was putting out close to 15 amps. I know it won't put out as many amps once the battery is charged but I think that is pretty darn good. I am debating keeping the 20hp performer now and swapping it out with the 16hp B48 out of the Massey 1655 with the loader, at least until I have time to rebuild the 18hp B48 I have.

#118 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Here is a pic to prove I ain't bs'ing lol

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1301611607118.jpg

#119 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Stop it! Yall are gonna get me in trouble, making me want a real massey now!

#120 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Stop it! Yall are gonna get me in trouble, making me want a real massey now!

Coldone, seriously I didn't believe it when they told me until I witnessed it for myself. There is no comparison. Well ok some, high gear with the eaton is like low gear with the Sundstrand but the eaton doesn't have that take off power that the Sundstrand does.