Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey Ferguson 1655 hydraulic drive problems.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#91 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Is the input shaft splined on that pump? I have never seen a eaton 11 with a splined input shaft.I know the eaton 10 input is splined.But i have only seen the eaton 10 in the bolens tubeframes.

#92 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:44 AM

Dan is right. Massey = Sunstrand and Snapper = Eaton.
The Sunstrand unit has a horizontal Swash plate shaft where Eaton has a vertical shaft.
Sunstrand has the filter on the bottom of the hydro and Eaton has an external filter under the left rear fender.
Both use an 11 spline input shaft. I am not sure about the drive shaft that drives the ring gear in the Peerless axle. Eatons always seemed to run a tad bit slower ground speed that an Sunstrad so may have a gear ratio difference between the two. Measure the depth of the Pinion on both and count the teeth on the pinion, if they are the same I would guess they would interchange on the axle.
Will be quire a job changing from one to the other unless you have the Massey drive control linkage.

#93 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Well I got a chance tonight to take the hydro apart. Everything looks really good, the only area that looks like it might be bad is the output side of the pintle assembly where the rotor bushing rides. The input side is nice and smooth but the output side is a little rough. Both of the rotors, pistons and cylinders look great and the races look great as well. I would like to see what you guys think, I took a couple pics of everything. With the way the hydro looks it almost seems like the problem is more then likely air getting in the system?

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0248.jpg
  • DSC_0252.jpg
  • DSC_0250.jpg
  • DSC_0253.jpg
  • DSC_0251.jpg
  • DSC_0249.jpg

#94 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:22 PM

Not being familiar with the innards of an Eaton, I can't truly gauge anything. But by appearances, it looks pretty good to me. I have seen Eaton pics that had bitten the big one, & they were torn to shreds inside. You say the pistons fit the bores nice? Do you have specs to measure everything?

#95 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:28 PM

I can measure everything, I have a micrometer and calipers but don't really have any specs to go off of. I did print out the service manual for the hydro. I removed the set screw for the relief valve and pulled the spring and ball out of the hole and they looked good too. The only thing I don't understand is how the relief valve can really work if there isn't much spring tension on the ball, but then I didn't design it and I don't know anything about them so I just put it back in per the manual.

I was hoping I would have found something evident and I could move on and just get another hydro. This one doesn't seem bad at all and almost warrants to be put back in. I am going to call this one hydraulic shop in MN. about an o-ring kit and also order the transmission gasket for it. The control lever for the swash plate has some play.

#96 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:30 PM

I forgot to add, yes the pistons fit the bores really nice. All of the pistons looked really good too with no scoring. They just barely came out of the bores, mainly from fluid suction.

#97 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:52 PM

Does this thing have accelerator valves like the Sundstrands do? Bad accelerator valves make them go whacky.

#98 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:56 PM

Ya it has accelerator valves in it. What is weird is they have like a dirty or blackish coating on them. I was going to disassemble them but didn't get that far. I probably wouldn't know what I was looking for once I got them out anyway. I don't even know if just those parts would be available.

#99 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:59 PM

You'd be looking for broken or sacked out springs, nothing much else to go wrong. Of course inspect the seats too. Yep, dug out my Snapper manual & no specs in the service section.

#100 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I will pull them out tomorrow then. I know I won't be able to pull the check valves out on the other side. Some sort of special tool is needed I believe. I gotta read the directions some more just to be sure though.

#101 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 07:22 PM

I was going to try to see about taking the acceleration valves out to check them but it is a little more involved then I want to get into the pump. Also would need some replacement pieces if I proceed with taking them out and I don't even think I can get them. If I can I have no idea where. I might end up getting one of the pumps that the one seller on ebay has listed. I sent him a message to see if he had any with the splined input shaft.

I took the heads off the Onan B48 from the Case 448 I had. Actually I pressure washed it first LOL. One cylinder looks great the other one looks like it could use new rings. I think I am going to order new rings for it and hone the cylinders and put it back together. It seemed to run pretty good with no smoke when we fired it off carb and choke cleaner. I would like to put that one in the 1655 since that is what would have originally been in it.

#102 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:31 PM

I think I found you another eaton for $75 +shipping. looks like you can have the rearend as well. Sears FF series

hydro transmission and lift for sears garden tractor - eBay (item 160561001239 end time Mar-21-11 14:22:50 PDT)

#103 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:54 PM

I wonder if the input shaft is splined or keyed?

#104 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:56 PM

I wonder if the input shaft is splined or keyed?

Probably keyed, but you could always adapt the shaft, or use 1/2 of each shaft to make the one you need.

#105 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:00 PM

I guess it wouldn't take much to make it work. I am wondering how he is going to be able to ship it for $75 LOL.