Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey Ferguson 1655 hydraulic drive problems.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#76 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:07 PM

I downloaded the Eaton 11 service manual. I might call around and get some quotes on getting it rebuilt. One of the places I found doing a search is Wooster hydraulics in Wooster, Ohio. I have a feeling it isn't going to be cheap LOL.

#77 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Not exact dropins but useable internal parts and at a good price.
Bolens h16x1 xl Eliminator hydraulic pump ported eaton - eBay (item 220754141799 end time Apr-12-11 17:40:36 PDT)

Dont know if you need this or not.
Eaton charge pump plate kit 990145 - eBay (item 230555739500 end time Mar-26-11 16:27:54 PDT)

Joes has a sunstrand thats been there a while, might take less than BIN
Massey Ferguson MF1655 Tractor Transmission - eBay (item 190501973493 end time Mar-15-11 23:27:29 PDT)

#78 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:12 PM

I have read in more than one place that Massey 55 series ONLY came with Sundstrand. Is there a chance someone repainted & put Massey decals on this tractor George? Check if there is any white paint under the silver mist on the rims.

#79 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:15 PM

BTW...the MTD Eaton's used a keyed input shaft, so not a direct drop in replacement, but you could fab an adapter.

#80 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:15 PM

I have read in more than one place that Massey 55 series ONLY came with Sundstrand. Is there a chance someone repainted & put Massey decals on this tractor George? Check if there is any white paint under the silver mist on the rims.

The wheels are painted white. The id tag on it says Massey 1655.

#81 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Not exact dropins but useable internal parts and at a good price.
Bolens h16x1 xl Eliminator hydraulic pump ported eaton - eBay (item 220754141799 end time Apr-12-11 17:40:36 PDT)

Dont know if you need this or not.
Eaton charge pump plate kit 990145 - eBay (item 230555739500 end time Mar-26-11 16:27:54 PDT)

Joes has a sunstrand thats been there a while, might take less than BIN
Massey Ferguson MF1655 Tractor Transmission - eBay (item 190501973493 end time Mar-15-11 23:27:29 PDT)

Will that Sundstrand unit that Joes has bolt right in place? Looks like some things might be a little different as far as hoses and linkages.

#82 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:19 PM

The wheels are painted white. The id tag on it says Massey 1655.

Very strange. Massey never painted the rims white, and as read, never used the Eaton. I think you may have a tractor put together from 2 different tractors?????

#83 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:21 PM

Will that Sundstrand unit that Joes has bolt right in place? Looks like some things might be a little different as far as hoses and linkages.

I'm not sure if it's a drop-in or not because of the linkages. I had a Snapper 1650 a long time ago, but can't remember if the linkages were different.

#84 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:22 PM

Very strange. Massey never painted the rims white, and as read, never used the Eaton. I think you may have a tractor put together from 2 different tractors?????

Wouldn't surprise me considering the guy I bought it from was a little strange. Also that it has the Onan Performer in it. The wheels were repainted white, I don't know what their original color was, might have to scrape some paint off tomorrow to find out. The grill on it is red also like a Snapper. The snow blower that was with it is a Snapper. If the Sundstrand unit would work without much work maybe I will contact Joe's and see if he wants to work out a price on the Sundstrand.

Are there any other areas on the tractor I can use to try and figure out what it was orignally? I would think the id tag since it is on the frame would be right.

#85 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:31 PM

looking between the Agco parts and Partstree I dont see any differences in the linkages. I did not study it in depth so dont take it to the bank. As far as the input shaft goes, from skimming over the eaton manual it looks to be the simplest piece to swap out.

Edit: I di look more in depth and there are differences in the linkages, Sorry.

Edited by coldone, March 14, 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#86 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Just from looking at your rearend and one that i have sitting until i can get Dan up here:poke: you may have to stick with the eaton pump as they look a little different.

#87 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 10:46 PM

Is the filter in the right place??? I have not see that on my 1650 massey or my 1855 snapper and if someone plumbed this in is it done properly?? filters are designed to flow one way are they not?? may causing back pressure just a thought! and my snapper has a sunstrand in it and an eaton in the massey and yes on the 165o it is direct drive from the engine to the hydro. On the snapper the motor drives the pto shaft then drops down to the hydro drive shaft. For winter use I took off the drive belts to the pto on the 1650 just to lessen the noise, wear and tear on the pto drive train seeing as it is only in use for the tiller any ways.

#88 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 05:28 AM

Is the filter in the right place??? I have not see that on my 1650 massey or my 1855 snapper and if someone plumbed this in is it done properly?? filters are designed to flow one way are they not?? may causing back pressure just a thought! and my snapper has a sunstrand in it and an eaton in the massey and yes on the 165o it is direct drive from the engine to the hydro. On the snapper the motor drives the pto shaft then drops down to the hydro drive shaft. For winter use I took off the drive belts to the pto on the 1650 just to lessen the noise, wear and tear on the pto drive train seeing as it is only in use for the tiller any ways.

I assumed the filter was in the right place because of what I found when looking for the filter number that it was up under the left rear fender? I might get brave and start to disassemble the hydro tonight just to see if there is anything obvious as to what is causing the problems. I am sure I won't be able to tell as I don't have any experience with tearing a hydro apart but hopefully I can get good enough pictures to tell the story.

If all else fails...... anyone need some parts LOL :D

#89 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 06:54 AM

If all else fails...... anyone need some parts LOL :D

Always :D but I am sure its not going to come to that.

#90 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:23 AM

The ID plate should be on the left panel below the dash. Easy swapping the panel from a Massey. Only Snapper grills were red. Someone has switched the ID panels.
Joe's OP may have all the linkages for that Sundstrand too, UNLESS the rear end is different as Bob thinks. You could get a good Eaton cheap enough, then swap out the input shafts.