Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey Ferguson 1655 hydraulic drive problems.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 12:27 PM

I had posted this a while ago and thought I had the problem figured out with it being loose belt tension but now that I have gotten the Onan running better and took the Massey out for a drive it isn't just the belt tension which I had adjusted.

I know the belts need replaced, one is tensioned correctly but the other one is a little loose. I can see that both of the belts have cracks in them. There are a couple of reasons I think something else is messed up with the drive on the tractor. One of them being how everyone described how fast their tractors are in high gear and there is no way they would be able to mow in high gear. I can honestly say I would be able to mow in high gear with the control pedal pushed all the way.

The other issue is when trying to go up a hill it slows down, even on the low side of the transmission. Especially today when I was trying it out, it barely made it up the hill. You can hear the hydraulics surging, almost like there is air in the system. The other problem is it is spewing oil out of the tranny dipstick hole.

I am going to get belts this week for it. I also want to get an oil filter for the tranny. I don't know what else would be causing the problems I am seeing. The other thing is notice is it will slowly start to go backwards when there is no pressure on the pedal, if you tap the pedal it will stop and sit still for a little while and then slowly start to move again. I will have to see about adjusting neutral.

The rest of the hydraulics work great, the 3pt lifts up and down with authority, we put the 3pt / brinly adapter on it and hung a bottom plow off of it just to check it. I wouldn't mind getting her running right in time for the PA plow day, especially since I didn't see any of the big Masseys there last year. :D

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Some things to check.......
1: Belts may be worn to where they are bottoming in the pulleys, and if so, even bow string tight, they will slip.
2: Oil contamination. If there is water in the oil, it will foam & cause severe drive problems, noise, and possibly the reason for the spewing.
3: And I hope it's not this, but the hydro itself may simply be worn out. Requires complete disassembly to determine.

The creeping is just an adjustment that needs performed on the neutral return system, and wear in this system may be contributing also.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 01:56 PM

Belts definately make a difference. Mine did not have the correct belts on it and it would lose all speed under any load. I would also change the fluid and filter. I need to do that to mine also.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 02:36 PM

I got the belts pulled off and they are definitely shot. I think they were riding the bottom of the pulley. I will go out and snap a pic of them and post. They are glazed and have all kinds of cracks in them.

I am also going to get a filter for the tranny and drain and refill the fluid. I am hoping part of the problem with the oil being pushed out is I might have overfilled it when I messed with it the last time and it was warmer out then and now it is cooler out so the fluid is a little thicker now.

I was checking the linkages for the forward and reverse and I think part of it may be because the control pedal returns to neutral really easy after being pressed forward but doesn't return to neutral as easy after being pressed in reverse. I am going to try and clean up the linkages and lube them up so it all moves a little easier.

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 02:39 PM

Besides what was already said , check if there is a suction hose , most times held on by hose clamps , you can suck air around the fittings even though it might not leak fluid out.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 04:22 PM

Ok here is a pic of the belt. I was going to take a pic of both of them but they both look just as bad.

Attached Thumbnails

• ForumRunner_20110227_162202.jpg

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 04:33 PM

I wouldn't get worried unless new belts don't correct the problem. That belt looks like it is just a tad better of doing the work a broken belt can do!:rofl2: Tighten one like that as tight as you want, and it still won't grip. Hoping it's just the belts!:thumbs:

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:11 PM

I am hoping it is just the belts too. I was also looking at the filter that is on it right now. It is a Proline filter and it just says oil filter on it. I am wondering if that may be part of the problem too as I don't think regular oil filters provide the same flow capability as a hydraulic filter.

The line that goes from the under side of the pump to the lower front of the tranny is leaking a little oil too. It is coated with a lot of dirt also so it must have been seeping for a long time. I did pressure wash the tractor back when I first got it but I wasn't able to get to the lower parts or underside of it.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:26 PM

George, that line that is leaking IS your suction line! If it's leaking, then when running it is almost surely getting air. That air will make the hydro put out strange noises & destroy pulling power as the air bubbles in the oil just compress & don't provide much pressure. The oil passes through the filter on the way back to the tranny reservoir.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:30 PM

I guess it is time to get dirty and make a mess huh? LOL.

Are they special fittings or are they typical JIC? I can't remember the names of the fittings anymore LOL

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:32 PM

I guess it is time to get dirty and make a mess huh? LOL.

Are they special fittings or are they typical JIC? I can't remember the names of the fittings anymore LOL

You know, I can't remember for sure as it's been a long time since having to remove one, but I'm thinking flared tubing. In any case, nothing exotic.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:36 PM

Maybe I will get lucky and just a cleaning and re-tightening will fix it up. Going to get belts and a filter tomorrow and I will drain the oil and pull the suction line off and clean it up. After watching that video of Ducky's 1655 pulling that 3 bottom plow I started getting really jealous and depressed LOL.

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:36 PM

George 5000 posts

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:37 PM

I wanted to add too that if I get this thing running decent as far as the hydro I think I am going to call the local tire guy who sells Carlisle tires and put a set of ags on it.

The Onan performer in it still isn't right, seems to be missing, it kind of has a miss in it. I will get a video of it after I get this hydro all sorted out.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:38 PM

George 5000 posts

Woohoo, well I may have been the first to hit 5,000 but I can promise I won't be the first to hit 10,000 the way these guys are catching up :D
  • MH81 said thank you