8 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Remember that old saying. May dad would say "...... after you kids have been in my tool box trying to find my wrench is like trying to find a needle in a haystack ...." I guess that would be true if you actually looking for a needle in that proverbial " haystack". Sometimes if you are like me there is a force in the universe that that finds you when you least expect it and that is when that curve ball you weren't expecting comes your way and nearly knocks you on your butt. Now sometimes mind ya I don't mind that curve ball but it brings with it a question of " What" ? Now I will get to what I'm talking about.
The other day my son and I were getting in the truck in the side yard to go to town. I happened to look down before I got in the truck and there on the ground I saw a black knob. Yup remember those black knobs that used to be on light switches and old style choke cables, the ones that screw on to the switch or cable? There it was right there on the ground. As I bent over to pick it up I questioned how it got there and why right now did I find it. Haven't had a use for one of those for more than 40 years. Huh, oh well I picked it up and showed it to my son and he said " wonder where that came from" ?! I put it in the glove box and off we went. About 15 miles into our trip to town it hit me............ Holy crap that's the knob to the light switch on ED, our Jacobsen 1200 Super Chief. My son said well now you found it. Found it I said, I didn't even know I had lost it. Now I was thinking when the last time I had been in that area of the side yard with Ed. About 4 weeks ago when we got 18" of snow and I was going out back to blow a path to the rear deck and to the dog kennel.Well now a lucky break for me because I didn't even know it was gone. Today I took it to the garage and yup, there was Ed sitting there missing the knob for the light switch. I screwed it back on and tightened it a little more. We have had Ed for four years and this is the first time it has come off. Back on now I will be a little more diligent about it being ion the switch tightly.
As a post script to this, our son was out doing his nearly yearly Christmas Light assault on the yard, all be it just a little later that he normally does. As I walked from the back garage to the house he yelled at me to come get something from him. As I got close he handed me a trailer light 7 way to flat GM adapter. HMMMM, didn't know that was missing either. Said he found it at the edge of a pile of snow I had plowed up from the earlier snow storm.
I know what you are thinking. I should play the lottery. Well I'm not going to do it. If I try that I will just waste the money.Rarely do I win at the lottery.
Thanks for listening, I was kind of just thinking how lucky I was on these two things. Roger.

• Bill56, MH81, Alc and 15 others have said thanks

#2 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Great story. I've been there and done that too.
  • Sparky and hamman have said thanks

#3 Sparky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:16 PM

I sometimes wonder what happened to that blonde skinny girl that accompanied me to movies etc  while Beatles music played in the background . She wasn't quite needle thin but a few pounds wouldn't have hurt . My wife had her old flame from horse days . Sometimes we even trade stories of olden times together at the same time being so happy together .

That blonde skinny girl may get bored with any stories I have now . We all have to make do with what we can find in a pinch .

• hamman and AfterShock95 have said thanks

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Congratulations on your find(s)! But if your luck runs like mine, you were even luckier that you didn't know you were missing those items. Because if you'd actually been looking for them they never would have shown up!!!
  • hamman, KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 569 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:37 AM

Ed's looking good.  My light knob is long gone.  This stuff works pretty good when i don't want to lose something, not as strong as loctite but i can get stuff back apart after 5 years.  good luck

Attached Thumbnails

• 2GXY8_AS01.JPG

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,638 Thanks
  • 8,522 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:32 AM

It's amazing sometimes how things work out.  As I was reading your post I was thinking "I think I might locktite that knob" but looks like OldFord came up with a better suggestion.

• hamman and Oldford have said thanks

• Member No: 8367
  • 547 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hmmm...  the chicken or the egg?   If you didn't know it was lost, until you found it....was it really lost? :D

• Bill56 and hamman have said thanks

#8 Sparky OFFLINE  

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 09:26 PM

My favorite GT was prototype tested at night  . They were wise enough to use toggle switches so the knobs wouldn't be a problem . I didn't learn this stuff by watching some  man on TV . Mr Jagger had some people feeding him some good lines .

• hamman said thank you

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 07:49 PM

That young blond skinny girl from many moons ago  ,  has not been seen since .  The weird part is she had the same initials as my daughter  .  Items in the haystack should be left alone if they never belonged to you .   I can stay on topic when I try .

• hamman said thank you