• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• Member No: 5140
  • 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:52 AM

I am ready for the Winter Snow, i have the Cabs on the Tractors they are both Ariens S-16 H's,a Hard Top soft sided on the one with the Snow Blade. I also have a Hard Top & Hard Sided Cab on the one with the Snow Blower. I made the Cab as i was getting Sick of getting covered with snow when i was blowing it. I made the cab so it will tilt back if i needed to get under the hood. I used a Power window motor to move the snow shutte i do place a plastic coffee can over it to keep the snow off it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 003.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 006.JPG
  • 020.JPG
  • 004.JPG

Edited by sideswiper, December 08, 2014 - 01:02 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Alc, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Those cabs are nice.

Really like the "flip back" cab.

• sideswiper said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I would say you are definitely ready for snow with your pair of Ariens tractors. I really like the tilt back cab also for the ease of maintenance and not having to remove any pieces of the cab to get in there. Plus you are going to be warmer than I will be when the snow comes down :D

Do you know about how much money you have in to making the cab? Also how long did it take you to build it?

#4 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Guys i think it cost me around $350 but i did hae some of material already. The Plexie Glass cost the most.It took me about a week to build it but it was only a couple hours a day spent on it.I do also have another back up Snow blower for these tractors incase i have any issues with the one i am using.

Edited by sideswiper, December 09, 2014 - 07:47 AM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Here is a look at what i used as a frame for the cab. I would say the cab is only around 100 pounds.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001 (3).JPG
  • 003 (2).JPG

• NUTNDUN and Bmerf have said thanks

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:35 AM

Nice being able to blow snow without getting covered by it thats for sure. Those Ariens blowers are a heavy built. How does yours blow snow. What I did with mine in order to move more snow was to remove the baffel thats inside the chute. I cut that baffel completely out so now when you look down at the [fan] that throws the snow upwards all you have is a round hole now. I think it was a big improvement in how much more snow I'am able to move at a faster ground speed. BTW I did this maybe 15 yrs ago. The other thing I did to the blower just this fall was to put bearings with flanges bolted onto the sides of the blower for the auger shaft.I'd wear out the bushing every winter even with taking them apart and putting some grease in during the winter as well.

#7 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info, i have another spare blower that i was thinking about modding how hard is it to remove the baffle ? I do find it slower than my Craftsman Tractor with a Blower. Could you upload some pictures of your Mod Job Please.Would be nice to see what you did to it.  I mostly use the plow & then once i have it plowed i use the blower to throw the snow away so i have more room to plow, it doesn't take long to run out of room to put the snow as i have a long drive way about a good 1/4 mile long.

Thanks Again

Edited by sideswiper, December 10, 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#8 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 02:10 PM

Well i am going to remove the baffle in my blower too but i am going to use my Dremel tool to Grind  the spot welds that hold it in place in case i want to reinstall it. ( which i Doubt) that will have to wait a couple days as i have to go buy some grinding stones for my Dremel.There is a lip that the baffle sits on which is a good 1/2 wider than the baffle so i took my Sawzall and cut the lip off now the opening is atleast another 1/2 inch bigger.1/2 inch may not seem too much but when you only have a 3 1/2 inch opening the extra 1/2 or so should help. Removing the baffle will give me atleast another 2 inches. I will be able to test it out tomorrow morning as we are in for a good storm tonight.

Thanks Again Massey Driver

Edited by sideswiper, December 10, 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,753 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 06:14 PM

After seeing yours, I think black should be their new color. Very nice.

#10 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Well cutting out that extra 1/2 inch made a BIG difference on the blower i wasn't getting a big pile of snow building up in front of the blower as before and it was throwing the snow a lot further. I am going to remove the baffle and see how much better it gets i was disappointed with the proformance of the blower last year as my Craftsman would move snow much faster than my Ariens but i think with the baffle out it will out preform the Craftsman. I still can't get over what a extra 1/2 or so Opening would make such a difference.

Thanx Massey Driver

#11 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:10 PM

I just used a 4" angle grinder to grind all the extra metal away. You don't have to worry about ever wanting to put it back in. Thats why I removed mine it just didn't perform as good as the one that I had before. It does move more snow and blow further. The other mod I did was speed it up by changing the big pulley that drives the main shaft.I put a 10" pulley in its place. Makes a big difference doing this as well. I had done this mod to the blower when I used it on my Massey 1655.

I now have the blower mounted on my Massey GC 2300 scut  and have done more mods to it. For one the GC2300 has a different rotation of the front pto shaft so I needed to put a reversing gear box to beable to have the proper rotation for the blower to work. Of course this also meant changing pulleys in order to make everything work. I have 6" pulley now on the gear box and the oem pulley on the blowers shaft  the original big pulley . I still used the same double idler pulley so still need 2 belts.

I'll try and get some pics of the mod to the auger shaft where I've put in flange brgs instead of the oem bushings.

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pictures 159 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 219 (Small).jpg

• NUTNDUN and sideswiper have said thanks

#12 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 03:28 PM

Nice set up Did you use a Power window Motor & gears for your Shute Deflector? I Like your Cab Full View all around.

You did quite the Mod Job on the blower you basically only used the shell & Auger & bulit the rest to fit your Massey. I am going to Take my other blower into the Garage & mod it I have to put a new bearing in the shaft that the fan blades are on anyways.  I may as well change the pulley to a 10 inch & see what else i can do to improve it. I can not believe that the Engineers at Ariens would put that baffle in or even make the opening that small only so much snow can go out of such a small opening at a time. I do not see how that design even got approved. Like i said yesterday i noticed a Big Difference with just taking that 1/2 inch or so lip the baffle sits on off.

#13 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Did you use a Power window Motor & gears for your Shute Deflector?   I have to put a new bearing in the shaft that the fan blades are on anyways.  I may as well change the pulley to a 10 inch & see what else i can do to improve it.  

Yes power window motor and the actuator gear for the chute deflector ,the direction of the chute is moved by a small winch. I took some pics of the flange brg that I've replaced the bushings with. The brg is held on by the same bolt that the bushing was held on with. What I did have to do was make the hole in the side's of the blower a bit bigger in order for the flange to sit flush. I also had to drill a couple bigger holes to blot the flanges to the sides. I also used the locking collar of the bearing as a spacer between the bearing and the step thats in the shaft. Everything fits nice and no longer have bushings to worry about.

Attached Thumbnails

• snowblower brg 003 (Small).jpg
  • snowblower brg 005 (Small).jpg
  • snowblower brg 006 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 201 (Small).jpg

#14 sideswiper OFFLINE  

sideswiper

• 19 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info i will use it when i rebuild my spare Blower

#15 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 09:23 AM

One thing about these blowers is that there built to last. Parts are still readily avaliable for the gear case etc; in fact all the parts are. I have a spare blower as well that I picked up a few years ago just so I'd have parts,I actually needed the main gear case because the first one I got had a broken case that had been brazed back together. It worked and never gave me any problems,but I just figured just in case. These snowblowers still bring in big $$$ at auction sales even today. Like you know these things are built to last.