#16 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Just to give everyone a heads up I received a so called email from Paypal today asking for my tax Id number or my social.  It followed by telling me this was required for IRS purposes. Two things that bother me is 1. why don't the IRS request this & 2. why Paypal & why not ebay. If the IRS wanted this info now instead of waiting for me to add to my 1040 next month why didn't they contact me. Info from Paypal isn't going to show any income just money transactions for almost anything. SO BEWARE  :cowboy_shooter:

I have had Paypal for quite a few years. That is a hoax, they are trying to scam you. I never go to a website through an email.

• Sawdust said thank you

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Do you meet any of these requirements:

No I don't qualify under either requirement.

Starting in 2011, PayPal is required by the IRS to report the sales of goods and services for customers who, in a single year receive:

• More than $20,000, AND
  • 200 or more payments.
The new IRS 6050W changes apply to all payment providers, including PayPal. This includes payments received after January 1, 2011, with the first reports sent to the IRS in early 2012.

You can find more information and FAQs about the new IRS 6050W requirements on the PayPal IRS 6050W website.

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 08:30 PM

I agree also Traill95 going through an email to respond to something like this is just what these scam artist want.

Thanks everyone for your interest I think we all have the same thoughts.

Edited by Sawdust, December 08, 2014 - 08:31 PM.