• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • Member No: 62653
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Need to removal the front axle on my GT18 and it is quite puzzling. It appears that the PTO tube is locked to the axle hub with a tensioning bolt, but once that nut is untightented I'm not getting too far. I need to removed the PTO tube from the axle hub ID before I can remove the axle from the frame. Has anyone gone through this, where some helpful hints might help me accomplish this? Hate to get out the sawzall blade or dremel cutoffs unless I am left with no other options.  

thanks.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:38 AM

DJ, First off Welcome to GTtalk. I haven't had the front end apart on our Ariens, but someone should be along shortly to help you out.

#3 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be around for many years to come. I have a pair of these 18's, so whatever I do to one will be a no-brainer the second time around. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:53 AM

yes, you'll need to pull the front pto shaft, the axle rides on a tube that the pto goes through

2 bolts up front and the eccentric lock collar on the bearing on the rear

Collars should have been driven in the direction of rotation when installed, drive them in the opposite to remove after you loosen the set screw, a pneumatic air hammer/chisel works great

• Texas Deere and Horse and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#5 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:24 PM

The PTO shaft and bearings are already out. I'm needing to get the tube out of the axle, in order to remove the axle. The GT17's and others appear to pivot on the tube, but the GT18's and above lock the axle to the tube, which pivots in the bearing carriers. 

#6 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 01:52 PM

The PTO shaft and bearings are already out. I'm needing to get the tube out of the axle, in order to remove the axle. The GT17's and others appear to pivot on the tube, but the GT18's and above lock the axle to the tube, which pivots in the bearing carriers. 

I'm wondering if the tube is rusted stuck within the axle.  I've got two GT20's and neither had a grease fitting in the front axle like the earlier models did. (They do now!)   Also, looking at the ariens parts radar pics, I do not see any means of locking the the tube to the axle.  Just wondering!!

#7 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:37 PM

well apparently you know more than me so I can't help  :worshippy1:

None of mine or my fathers GT20 is the tube locked to the axle. That would only wear the 2 - 1/4 thick holes and a small area on the tube where they go through the hole.

The last one I repaired, I tig welded the steel plate, that is behind the front bearing (it's updated from the aluminum bearing carriers with bushings in it) and made another 1/4" thick plate for the back to help hold the tube down and stop wearing the hole in the frame. Which welding the tube to the front plate keeps the tube from trying to rotate with the axle, giving it a lot more surface area to wear on.

Perhaps it's rusted as warren said ^^^ or the tractors weight on the axle/tube  :D

Untitled.png

#8 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 11:03 AM

Finally got this thing out. Had to find a socket slightly smaller than the od of tube, they whack away patiently. This locking stud isn't noted in many places, nor is it referenced in any service procedures. It can be seen on page 152 of the 931 service manual, item #30 locking stud, and declares it is not used on models beneath 931033. Much similar to the locking stud located on the driveshaft couplings of these GT's. Now that its out, have to wait for a tube and new bearing carriers to arrive. Much different than the GT17's which pivot on the tube, this axle is locked on the tube which pivots in the bushings of the carrier flanges. Something new learned.  Not sure how to upload images in these posts or I would have put the schematic and BM here. 

• Oldford said thank you

#9 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 04:41 AM

Need to removal the front axle on my GT18 and it is quite puzzling. It appears that the PTO tube is locked to the axle hub with a tensioning bolt, but once that nut is untightented I'm not getting too far. I need to removed the PTO tube from the axle hub ID before I can remove the axle from the frame. Has anyone gone through this, where some helpful hints might help me accomplish this? Hate to get out the sawzall blade or dremel cutoffs unless I am left with no other options.

thanks.

By "tensioning bolt", I assume you are referring to the locking stud? If so, loosening the locking stud nut is not enough. You have to impact the locking stud (after loosening the nut of course) to loosen it. Depending on the amount of rust, how long it has been since last serviced and how high the locking stud nut was torqued, you have to give it quite a rap to free it.

Edited by artbuc, December 11, 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#10 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 05:05 AM

I'm wondering if the tube is rusted stuck within the axle.  I've got two GT20's and neither had a grease fitting in the front axle like the earlier models did. (They do now!)   Also, looking at the ariens parts radar pics, I do not see any means of locking the the tube to the axle.  Just wondering!!

The tube is locked to the axle with what Ariens calls a locking stud. It shows on Parts Radar. The stud is machined with a circular key that has the same radius as the PTO tube OD. It has to be in place when you slide in the PTO tube. When you tighten the locking stud bolt not, it creates a tight interference locking the tube.

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 05:26 AM

yes, you'll need to pull the front pto shaft, the axle rides on a tube that the pto goes through

2 bolts up front and the eccentric lock collar on the bearing on the rear

Collars should have been driven in the direction of rotation when installed, drive them in the opposite to remove after you loosen the set screw, a pneumatic air hammer/chisel works great

If you don't have an air chisel-  Years ago on the farm we used to use a pipe wrench and a BFH and put the wrench on and give it a pop then the thing came right off..  Don't be in front of the wrench or you may suffer a whack-eroo