DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:38 PM

Has anyone ever bought, made, used, a Sleeve hitch Weight Bracket for suitcase weights?

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 02:01 AM

I've never seen one,but 2 years ago when I had the snow plow on my dads Massey 12.I put 2 45 lb suitcase weights on his sleeve hitch when I was pushing snow.Didn't use tire chains or wheel weights,just the ags,100 lbs in the tool box under seat,and the suitcase weights.It worked great.We had a couple of measurable snows that year.i think the one was 6" or more and I was surprised how well it did.I think a bracket would be a great idea.

• DH1 said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 05:31 AM

I've not seen one. After seeing the one's for 3-points, I would take the sleeve hitch off and build a replacement that would hold the weights. Otherwise, they may be too far back?

• JDBrian said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:19 AM

It is best to keep the weight in close to the rear of the tractor. Rather than hanging the weight like it was an attachment you could use the hitch as a shelf and attach the weights in close to the tractor. If your sleeve hitch comes off easily you could also use the attachment points to build a bracket to hold the weights. Weight makes a big difference. It's well worth investing some time to figure out how to increase weight/traction.

• DH1 and KennyP have said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:30 AM

That's what I was thinking, Brian. Here's what I did for some flat weights I have.

Image008.jpg
Image009.jpg

• DH1 and Oldford have said thanks

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Here is my brinly hitch with a 1.25" steel bar cut to fit the center, painted blue.  Adds about 33 lbs to the sleeve hitch and got me through last winter ok with no wheel weights.  This year i did the brakes on my truck and bolted the old rotors to the receiver.  It balances the armstrong lift to almost zero effort lifting the front plow.  2 storms so far this winter w/excellent traction

DSCN1314_zps14045d7b.jpg

I have to remove the drums in summer or the mower deck just flies up into the air.  So I am maxed out on usable rear weight at about 50 lbs but don't need any more on this tractor.

• DH1, KennyP and mrmd have said thanks

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Johnny Products makes one. http://www.johnnypro...Accessories.htm

4xMultiPin.jpg

Anybody have any experience using something like this?

Edited by DH1, March 18, 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#8 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I though 80 lbs suitcase weight on my 210 a while back for the extra weight but little did i know the frount blade and rear hitch both go up at the same time so it was like impossible to pick the blade and the 80 lbs up at the same time.  i did make a dead link for it to hold in place with the weights adn i got the added traction

• DH1 and Oldford have said thanks

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I've never seen one,but 2 years ago when I had the snow plow on my dads Massey 12.I put 2 45 lb suitcase weights on his sleeve hitch when I was pushing snow.Didn't use tire chains or wheel weights,just the ags,100 lbs in the tool box under seat,and the suitcase weights.It worked great.We had a couple of measurable snows that year.i think the one was 6" or more and I was surprised how well it did.I think a bracket would be a great idea.

I have an MF10 and tried your idea of hanging weights directly off of it, was able to get 2 - 25lbs weights on it, I don't have any of the 41lbs John Deere style weights only 9 - of the 25lbs ones.

My sleeve hitch goes up with the mower, plow or snow thrower so I disconnected the bar at the hand lift arm that goes to the rear lift. Set the sleeve hitch in the highest position when lowered,

I can mount the weights 2 different ways, tucked in close to the tractor or hanging out the back.

002.JPG 001.JPG

Tractor has loaded rear tires with 2 sets of 40lbs wheel weights on it, 210lbs plus 50lbs of suitcase weights now, 260lbs total on the rear now.

I also have 2 - 25lbs suitcase weights on the front bumper, helps in steering and doesn't interfere with the plow too much.

003.JPG

Today we had 8" to 10" of light fluffy snow and I tried it out. I can't say how much of a difference the extra 50lbs at the rear made but I had no problems with traction. More testing needed.

I have a gravel driveway and there was no ice.

I would like to have 6 weights (150lbs) on the rear and 4 weights (100lbs) on the front, need to make some brackets to do that.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 11:59 PM

It is best to keep the weight in close to the rear of the tractor. Rather than hanging the weight like it was an attachment you could use the hitch as a shelf and attach the weights in close to the tractor. If your sleeve hitch comes off easily you could also use the attachment points to build a bracket to hold the weights. Weight makes a big difference. It's well worth investing some time to figure out how to increase weight/traction.

Perhaps not this much weight though!  The photos were taken at a pull with a club that had an open class where you could add all the weight you could hang on your tractor.  Lots of broken pieces were made on that track.   Several guys added over1500 pounds.  Sorry for the photo size but it was quite awhile back.

Attached Thumbnails

• Case with weights.jpg
  • Jerimiah.jpg

Edited by GTTinkerer, December 12, 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 11:36 AM

1500lbs, that's axle busting territory for most GTs. The highest rated GT axles I know about are the Peerless 2500 and the Dana Axle in the JDs. Both are rated at 1800lbs. I don't know how you would keep the front end on the ground with that much weight out back. For plowing snow you also need to be able to steer so too much weight transfer off the front end and you end up with the front end sliding sideways and no steering control. If you have a Dif lock it will help keep you going straight if the front end wants to slide sideways.

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 06:24 PM

I made one, used a piece if 5"x3-1/2" angle iron, cut it to the length I needed, then cut a smaller piece to mount to the sleeve hitch, welded it together, drilled 2 holes for the pin and some smaller holes for a couple of  hairpins to hold stop the weights from moving around.

Bracket itself weighs 15lbs, my weights are 25lbs each and I can mount 100lbs or 150lbs or 200lbs on it, 4 or 6 or 8 weights.

This gives me an extra 215lbs on the rear of the tractor for use with the front dozer blade or the snow blower/thrower whatever you call that thing.

041.JPG 042.JPG

043.JPG 044.JPG

036.JPG 037.JPG

038.JPG 039.JPG

040.JPG 035.JPG

045.JPG 046.JPG

Last picture shows how I mounted the sleeve hitch to the tractor, I mounted the bracket to the top holes on the tractor, the lift bars to the bottom holes and disconnected the lift rod that goes to the hand lift so the hitch doesn't move up and down. It sits where you see it.

Edited by DH1, March 17, 2015 - 06:38 PM.

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#13 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Looks good Doug. Are you out of snow to move now? I thought you'd have that blower all painted up by now. Lol

• DH1 said thank you

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:29 AM