• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 02:40 PM

Disassembled the spindles today . Found that they can only come apart one way due to the large spacer does not have a slot for the woodruff key . The axle has to be driven out from the bottom side out though the pulley . I tried going the other direction at first , using a torch to heat the parts up and then finally attempting it using my 20 ton press . Fortunately I stopped before any damage was done . Here are pictures of what I'm talking about . I have all the parts staged to get bead-blasted at my friend's house . Probably won't get to it until next Friday .

Attached Thumbnails

• 301 Mower spindle disassembly 001.JPG
  • 301 Mower spindle disassembly 002.JPG
  • 301 Mower spindle disassembly 003.JPG
  • 301 Mower spindle disassembly 004.JPG

• Gabriel said thank you

#17 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Looking good, those mandrills are different from mine.... wish I had a 20 ton press.

• mike912e and Gabriel have said thanks

#18 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 20, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Looking good, those mandrills are different from mine.... wish I had a 20 ton press.

And I wish I had a bead blasting cabinet ! And a welder and a powder coating booth ............. Money and time . I have neither . Old and broke . But hey, I'm alive and have all my faculties ( although some would dispute that ) and at least one more Cub cadet to restore !
Merry Christmas .
  • EricR, Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#19 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:07 AM

Is that a Estwing ball peen hammer I see laying next to your vise? If so I did not know they manufactured them! I have several claw,mason and roofing Estwing's that has served me well. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Is that a Estwing ball peen hammer I see laying next to your vise? If so I did not know they manufactured them! I have several claw,mason and roofing Estwing's that has served me well.

BNK,
Yes it is . Left behind when my ex-brother-in-law was bought out by my sister . Well worth the money to see the crazy dude leave . I inherited it, I guess you could say . It's my go-to for really heavy hitting . If this doesn't loosen things up then the only other choice is my 20,000 pound hydraulic press . Have a Happy new Year and thanks for asking about the hammer .
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Estwing hammer 001.JPG

• Sawdust said thank you

#21 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Made any progress, Mike?

#22 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 04:58 AM

Made any progress, Mike?

Sorry for the delay guys . I've been offline for a couple of days . Yes, the parts are done at the powder coater . I just need to wait until the weather is better before I make the 40 mile round trip , all on back roads . I did find a company that does cadmium plating close by . Their minimum charge is $125 . I bead-blasted a few parts that I felt would be good candidates for re-plating and will visit them to discuss whether the parts are good enough . I am concerned about some of the rust pitting and the fact that I can't press the bearings out of the pullys as they are peened in . One step at a time . Let me talk to them and go from there .
Off topic, slightly , there was a swap meet last Saturday close by but it was only 17 degrees outside . Just too miserable to deal with . I was looking forward to going as I have a bunch of extra parts already powder coated and my reproduction Kohler engine tags that I would like to sell . And you just never know what you'll find to drag home as another project .
I'll post pictures of the parts from the powder coater when I get a chance to retrieve them .
I was also able to purchase new decals, except for the one oddball that Cub doesn't list . Small steps !
Stay warm and enjoy the snow, if it ever comes and I'm sure it will !
  • Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#23 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 11:12 PM

I am still struggleing with mine, I did finally get my bearings off, Really warped the bearing puller, and had a machine shop give up, but I kept after it. Not sure what "peened in" is, my shafts were (like this, forget the term) but really made removal difficult. Good luck on yours.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110531.JPG
  • P1110542.JPG
  • P1110576.JPG
  • P1110777.JPG

• Gabriel said thank you

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 01:33 AM

I noticed the EW hammer too I didn't know they made a ball peen either. I've got several & have used them for over 30 years never failed. 

• mike912e said thank you

#25 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 01:42 AM

Awesome job on the deck Mike. I really enjoy your expertise. You mentioned around $300. to powder coat earlier. I'm almost finished with my first rebuild & considering all the time sand blasting & the amount of rattle can paint I think the $300. is money well spent. Back in the summer I bought an upright 60 gal compressor & sand blasting cabinet on CL. The guy raced & built dirt bikes. He had always just powder coated the small parts due to his small oven space. He just started doing the frames & really got me interested. After meeting him & with your inspiration I think I might look into that the next time.  :thumbs:

#26 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:44 AM

Awesome job on the deck Mike. I really enjoy your expertise. You mentioned around $300. to powder coat earlier. I'm almost finished with my first rebuild & considering all the time sand blasting & the amount of rattle can paint I think the $300. is money well spent. Back in the summer I bought an upright 60 gal compressor & sand blasting cabinet on CL. The guy raced & built dirt bikes. He had always just powder coated the small parts due to his small oven space. He just started doing the frames & really got me interested. After meeting him & with your inspiration I think I might look into that the next time.  :thumbs:

Try it , you'll like it . Feels good to step out of "the way we've always done it" to try something new . Keep us posted as you venture into new things .

#27 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:49 AM

I am still struggleing with mine, I did finally get my bearings off, Really warped the bearing puller, and had a machine shop give up, but I kept after it. Not sure what "peened in" is, my shafts were (like this, forget the term) but really made removal difficult. Good luck on yours.

Ouch ! I hate damaging tools . Money wasted . I refer to peening as a way to secure something in a hole by using a center punch to dimple metal around the hole . I also call rolling a lip over the edge of a hole to hold something like a bearing in the hole as peening . It's probably got another name , but that's what I call it !Your work so far looks great . Are the pulleys painted ? If so what brand and color did you use ? Thanks for posting .

#28 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 09:12 PM

I am trying a few different "silver" types, Rust-Oleum, Krylon, and a Ace Hardware brand) So far the Ace brand is cheapest and brightest, Drying time takes a while though,

#29 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:39 PM

Picked up the parts from my powder coater yesterday . Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to work on it today due to snow . Just had to go out and play in it with the 2206 Cub . Also had to restock the firewood supply in the house . Here is a picture of the parts . I'll keep you guys appraised as things progress . Thanks for following along .

Attached Thumbnails

• Mower deck back from powder coat 001.JPG

• Gabriel said thank you

#30 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Man, that is going to look sharp! Finished mine, now to finish the Old Girl.

• mike912e and Gabriel have said thanks