25 replies to this topic

#16 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 10:45 AM

With EFI the fuel pressure and injector spray pattern are very important.  Low fuel pressure will result in an uneven or improper spray pattern.  Dirty injector/s will create similar results.  Either way, inefficient burn will lead to carbon build up in the combustion chamber. <-- this is based on working with EFI automobiles since the mid 80's.

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 06:35 AM

It's strange that if it's not using oil but oil  fouling plugs , " Where's the oil coming from ? "   Or excessive fuel ? Could enough fuel getting into the crankcase to equal  what oil is being used so the oil level stays the same ?  

#18 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • Member No: 56227
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Hi, it's me again with my JD445 plug fouling issue. Since I first started this topic, I've done several things to resolve the issue.

I replaced head, intake and exhaust gaskets plus any others involved with removing and replacing the heads. The cylinders were indeed very carbon fouled. I of course cleaned the heads and the pistons. I reassembled the motor and installed NGK BMR2A plugs. The tractor ran fine all last season but began fouling plugs again this late summer.

The plugs are not oil fouled, but dry carbon fouled. The engine does not burn oil. The gaskets are not leaking. The plugs are brand new. The ignition coils impedance measure correctly. The engine runs at normal temperature. The left side is the culprit, so I swapped ignition coils between cylinders. The problem stays with the left side. Both cylinders have good compression.

So, I'm wondering if it can be the injector. I have the original factory injector in the engine. I have used injector cleaner but it makes no difference. I removed the injector and it appears very clean. Do injectors wear out? That is do they squirt more fuel than they are supposed too? Or perhaps squirt more into one cylinder than the other. A new injector is $245, so I'm reluctant to go out and buy one hoping it will fix my problem.

So, I'm back seeking advice. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,    Dan

#19 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:09 AM

Carbon on one side but not the other tells me the side with more carbon is running rich.  Too much fuel or not enough air can cause this.  

This is thinking outloud --->  Could the intake valve on the problematic side be out of adjustment or sticking?  This would impact airflow which would impact burn.

The other variable is I don't know how the engine in question measures exhaust to determine if it is running rich or lean.  

Again, I am working with 25 years of working knowledge of the world of automobile fuel injection.  I reviewed my initial post and still believe that all of the following need to be confirmed in spec:
- Fuel pressure (my gut tells me LOW fuel pressure is the problem)
- Injector (dirty/plugged/out of tolerance)

- Good spark (you covered this one)

- Oxygen sensors are working (don't know about this one on your tractor)

#20 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Trav1s,

I will followup on your comments and suggestions. You seem knowledgeable with lots of experience. I will check valve adjustment first. Interesting that you think low fuel pressure could cause the problem. I thought the opposite. It seems to me too much pressure could cause too much fuel to be injected. I will look into the oxygen sensor, or MAP which I think is the case. I plan to purchase an additional injector. Used ones with low operating hours are available on Ebay at modest prices. I hope this will also help me fix this problem

I noticed in another forum (6X6) the newer FD620D engines use NGK BMR2ES. I do not know the difference between the BMR2A and the BMR2ES. I will further research this, but perhaps you may know how these plugs are different.

Thanks for your response.

#21 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 02:15 PM

Low fuel pressure will cause an injector to drip and not spray the proper pattern.  A clogged injector can do the same. Think of it this way - take a pump spray bottle and give the trigger a solid pull and note the pattern.  Then do a gradual low force pull on the same spray bottle.  Note how the second will generate drops of liquid v/s the mist of the first one.  

Again, I am thinking about what I have encountered with EFI on cars, both throttle body and multi-port systems.  

#22 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Ok, thanks. Your explanation makes sense.

Dan

• Trav1s said thank you

#23 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Carbon on one side but not the other tells me the side with more carbon is running rich.  Too much fuel or not enough air can cause this.  

This is thinking outloud --->  Could the intake valve on the problematic side be out of adjustment or sticking?  This would impact airflow which would impact burn.

The other variable is I don't know how the engine in question measures exhaust to determine if it is running rich or lean.  

Again, I am working with 25 years of working knowledge of the world of automobile fuel injection.  I reviewed my initial post and still believe that all of the following need to be confirmed in spec:
- Fuel pressure (my gut tells me LOW fuel pressure is the problem)
- Injector (dirty/plugged/out of tolerance)

- Good spark (you covered this one)

- Oxygen sensors are working (don't know about this one on your tractor)

Good spark is an option to really check out as the Kaw FD620 engines have the infamous Ignition Modules which are prone to wear out over time.  Not knowing how many hours are on the machine the spark can be less than 'robust' and not doing the deed.  It is another expensive thing to replace along with the injector but if you are keeping the machine it would be worth your while to get a new one..  Pull and ground the plugs in a position that you can see the spark.  Crank the engine and observe the spark..  If it is orange/yellow the IM is on it's way out..  

Just another thought to ponder..

Keep us posted on your progress..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, October 22, 2015 - 06:25 PM.

• Trav1s said thank you

#24 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 10:31 AM

The 445 has 2 ignition coils, and the electronic control module. Are you referring to the coils or the module? Over the years I have replaced both ignition coils. Each time they had a low resistance as measured with an ohmmeter. They both now measure the same and at spec.

I did remove both plugs, grounded them and observed the spark as suggested in the service manual. I did this a couple days ago. The service manual says there should be a bright blue spark. It was daylight and a little difficult to observe, but they seemed more yellowish to me. I wasn't sure how significant this was.

I have 1500 hours on my 445. Except for my current problem the machine is in excellent shape for it's age. I've always kept it under cover and well maintained. It is well worth keeping. Plus, I can't afford a replacement. I bought it back when I was making pretty good money. I'm retired now with a fixed income much lower than I used to earn.

Dan 

#25 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 01:08 PM

In tank fuel pump, right?  Could also be fuel pressure regulator figuring in this.  

#26 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Good results to report. I purchased a used (410 hrs.) injector. My 445 began to idle and rev up better. Next I decided to purchase a new ignition coil even though they both ohm'd out as per the shop manual. At the same time I installed new BMR2A plugs. Again she began to run better and thus far shows no symptoms of plug fouling. Power has returned and it idles smoothly.

I am gonna adjust the valve rockers as I indicated earlier. It seems my problem is not just one simple thing. I plan to continue replacing parts and making adjustments, which I hope will help keep my 445 workhorse running well. With 1500 hours it has served me well.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. It's great to have a place to discuss issues like this so I don't have to open my pocketbook to the local JD dealer and say "fix it". Snow is on the way so I will install my front blade for plowing today.

Attached is a photo of my other "tractor". I could not find a photo of me plowing or blowing snow.

Dan

IMG_3276.JPG

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you