• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dandenham OFFLINE  

dandenham
  • Member No: 56227
  • 5 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:44 PM

I have an old, but worsening problem with my 445.  The spec'd spark plug is an NGK BMR6A. Shortly after moving from about 300 ft. elevation to 4200 ft. I began replacing plugs every couple months due to carbon fouling.  The local JD dealer suggested using a hotter plug.  So, I purchased 2 NGK BMR4As. The "4" indicates a hotter plug.  That fixed the problem for a few years, then the problem returned. So I installed the hottest plug available, NGK BMR2As.  Again this fixed the problem for a few years, until this year. I am nonce again replacing plugs every couple months due to carbon fouling. I am concerned I may be doing damage to the engine.

The local dealer I had is gone and the new dealer refuses to offer any advice. He insists I bring it in for repairs with no estimate or "standard hours" cost. Sez they don't operate with standard hours cost and don't give out free advice. So, I gotta fixed it myself cause I can't afford an open pocketbook style of repair.

One suggestion made to me by a local owner is to remove the head and clean it. Plus install all new gaskets. He reasons oil, in addition to the normal crankcase bypass vapor, is getting into the cylinder causing carbon fouling, and the heads are probably badly fouled. He claims cleaning the heads and new gaskets fixed his father's 445 spark plug fouling. His theory is one of the gaskets was allowing crank oil to get into the cylinder.

So, I am about to order a set of gaskets ($145 on Ebay), remove the heads and replace any gasket I possibly can. Anyone have any other suggestions?

BTW, I have 1,300 hours on the JD 620A in this tractor and it does not burn any oil. I change the oil annually. Thanks for any and all comments and suggestions.

Dan

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:52 PM

I wouldn't buy a complete set of gaskets unless you are doing a complete teardown.  I would just get the head gasket.  But, before I bought anything, I would adjust the carb for a leaner mixture.  The air is denser at 300, so the fuel to air mixture will be much richer when you go to 4200 feet.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, December 07, 2014 - 05:53 PM.

• superaben said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:55 PM

I wouldn't buy a complete set of gaskets unless you are doing a complete teardown.  I would just get the head gasket.  But, before I bought anything, I would adjust the carb for a leaner mixture.  The air is denser at 300, so the fuel to air mixture will be much richer when you go to 4200 feet.

That's what I was just fixing to post.

#4 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 06:02 PM

The JD445 is fuel injected, the air fuel mixture isnt adjustable.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 06:03 PM

The JD445 is fuel injected, the air fuel mixture isnt adjustable.

How does it gather info for the mixture then?

• Trav1s said thank you

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 06:20 PM

How does it gather info for the mixture then?

Great question - on EFI cars there is an oxygen sensor that reads the exhaust which in turn allows the computer to adjust the air/fuel ratio.  If the engine is not adjusting then it will certainly run rich and the plug will carbon up.

#7 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 07:07 PM

I have a 445, there is no oxygen sensor, I have to assume it has a MAP sensor but I have to admit I never looked. You think I would have because I make a living working on computer controlled vehicles LOL. The MAP sensor is a manifold absolute pressure sensor which uses pressure or lack of in the intake manifold to determine engine load and supply fuel accordingly. In auto and truck use the MAP sensor also determines the altitude (Barometric pressure) that the machine is operating at, this is determined with the key on and engine off. Remember Im assuming it has a MAP sensor, I'll have to look further into it, now I'm curious.

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 07:32 PM

You would think they put something in there to adjust for altitude!

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 07:54 PM

I have a 445, there is no oxygen sensor, I have to assume it has a MAP sensor but I have to admit I never looked. You think I would have because I make a living working on computer controlled vehicles LOL. The MAP sensor is a manifold absolute pressure sensor which uses pressure or lack of in the intake manifold to determine engine load and supply fuel accordingly. In auto and truck use the MAP sensor also determines the altitude (Barometric pressure) that the machine is operating at, this is determined with the key on and engine off. Remember Im assuming it has a MAP sensor, I'll have to look further into it, now I'm curious.

They do have a map sensor.

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Is your dash throwing any codes? The JD Morse Code?

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:37 PM

I don't know how the engines are setup on the 445 but what about lapping the valves and checking valve clearance especially if you are already going to pull the head.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 06:48 AM

With these electronic engines is there information out there for someone without factory diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot these machines ?  Still should do some basic checks like connectors , grounds , , where  the map sensor is getting it's vacuum from is open completely  to the intake and no leakage ,loose air intake/manifold  correct fuel pressure . I'm guessing they use temperature sensors ?  They might not be giving the computer the correct reading . Good luck and keep us posted  

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:50 AM

How is your oil consumption. If enough oil is getting into the combustion chamber to cause fouling it should show up as oil consumption. Since this seems to have been going on for a long time I'm wondering if it's an issue with the EFI system rather than an oil leakage issue. I'd be tempted to run some seafoam through it and see if that improves things. That will reduce carbon in the head.

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:57 AM

Good idea, Brian!

#15 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I have a tech manual if you need any info.

Probably a typo but just in case,you should have an FD620d instead of a JD 620A.