Garden Tractor Forums banner

I Got Him!

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  daytime dave 
#1 ·
I got my deer for the year. We'll be eating venison for Christ Mass.

How did everyone else do?

#3 ·
Nothing this year yet. We've been out roughly 4 times so far, and nothing. I'm on three acres and can hunt on the property behind me which is roughly 200 acres. Shotgun season opened up this weekend. I didn't go out today.

Cameras are setup and we're getting movement. The 200 acres are the 1st time I've been given permission to hunt on them, so I have all next year to scout them :)

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been hunting here in ny or three weeks !!!! Last day today for rifle and I got mine at 8:15 this morning, very nice year old 3pt buck maybe 120lbs. not a huge trophy but good venison for the freezer. tomorrow opens up muzzle loader and I can get either sex for 9 days.

Good luck to all and play safe !!!!! to easy top get shot these days in the woods.

Pete

PS- forzenintime don't get me started on skunk's ! we have one or two that hang around the house and one of my dog's got tangled up in one the other day !! I can still smell it on the back porch.

#7 ·
Congrats on the deer! We have a huge population of deer here. I had to chase 7 of them out of the back yard the other day. They eat all the shrubs and small trees. You have to get within about 20ft of them before they will run and even then they don't do far. I had to throw hand fulls of gravel at them to get them to completely leave the property. We are all on large lots in here but not so large that you can hunt. Perhaps the deer know that.

Reactions: Alc
#8 ·
Good deal on the deer. I haven't been hunting in years. Sorta gave up after 3 years of not getting anything.

Congrats on the deer! We have a huge population of deer here. I had to chase 7 of them out of the back yard the other day. They eat all the shrubs and small trees. You have to get within about 20ft of them before they will run and even then they don't do far. I had to throw hand fulls of gravel at them to get them to completely leave the property. We are all on large lots in here but not so large that you can hunt. Perhaps the deer know that.
Yeah deer are smart like that sometimes. Years ago when i had a few dairy cows there was about 4 trucks or so that kept going by the pasture they were in during hunting season blowing the horns every time. After about an hour of that my mom went out and stopped them to find out why. They had a picture they took that showed a big buck right in the middle of the cows. It was approx. a 12-14 pointer. They all knew my family and were afraid if they tried to shoot it and hit a cow they wouldn't be able to hunt on the land anymore. That's when my mom told them they should have gotten her and she would have shot it as long as we got some of the venison. Stewart

#11 ·
Before anti - lock braking came along , almost every year the company chariot would get one for me in the 90 's . Last few years no such luck .

My Semper fi boss has been trying his luck in my back yard . This year he and one of his sons each have gotten their buck here while I prop up the old DVT leg at work and reminisce .

My thoughts have been yielding dividends at times .

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good deal on the deer. I haven't been hunting in years. Sorta gave up after 3 years of not getting anything. Stewart
I got nothing the last two years. After going out morning and evenings for five days, I finally saw a spike buck and decided I better be glad with that.

Nice sucullent, juicy young buck. I was kidding about Lynn not eatingh anything that is cute or has a name. I named the buck Remington!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.