LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 12:57 PM

I got my deer for the year. We'll be eating venison for Christ Mass.

How did everyone else do?

• Bill56, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#2 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Does a skunk count?  Did not get a tag.

• Bill56, KennyP, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#3 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 01:51 PM

Nothing this year yet. We've been out roughly 4 times so far, and nothing. I'm on three acres and can hunt on the property behind me which is roughly 200 acres. Shotgun season opened up this weekend. I didn't go out today. 

Cameras are setup and we're getting movement. The 200 acres are the 1st time I've been given permission to hunt on them, so I have all next year to scout them :)

• LilysDad said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 01:56 PM

We only were able to scare up a few hours this year so far. Kaylen saw two opening day, we saw one ghosting thru the woods pre-dawn yesterday. Raining, windy, 35 degrees and no snow. Good thing I had good company.

#5 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 02:14 PM

I'm not a hunter but as a motorist who has had numerous run ins with deer I say congrats on a successful hunt and thank you for thinning them down!!

• Alc, LilysDad and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 03:02 PM

Been hunting here in ny or three weeks !!!!  Last day today for rifle and I got mine at 8:15 this morning, very nice year old 3pt buck maybe 120lbs.  not a huge trophy but good venison for the freezer.  tomorrow opens up muzzle loader and I can get either sex for 9 days.

Good luck to all and play safe !!!!! to easy top get shot these days in the woods.

Pete

PS- forzenintime don't get me started on skunk's ! we have one or two that hang around the house and one of my dog's got tangled up in one the other day !! I can still smell it on the back porch.

Edited by petrj6, December 07, 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Congrats on the deer! We have a huge population of deer here. I had to chase 7 of them out of the back yard the other day. They eat all the shrubs and small trees. You have to get within about 20ft of them before they will run and even then they don't do far. I had to throw hand fulls of gravel at them to get them to completely leave the property. We are all on large lots in here but not so large that you can hunt. Perhaps the deer know that. 

• Alc said thank you

#8 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Good deal on the deer.  I haven't been hunting in years.  Sorta gave up after 3 years of not getting anything.

Congrats on the deer! We have a huge population of deer here. I had to chase 7 of them out of the back yard the other day. They eat all the shrubs and small trees. You have to get within about 20ft of them before they will run and even then they don't do far. I had to throw hand fulls of gravel at them to get them to completely leave the property. We are all on large lots in here but not so large that you can hunt. Perhaps the deer know that. 

Yeah deer are smart like that sometimes.  Years ago when i had a few dairy cows there was about 4 trucks or so that kept going by the pasture they were in during hunting season blowing the horns every time. After about an hour of that my mom went out and stopped them to find out why.  They had a picture they took that showed a big buck right in the middle of the cows.  It was approx. a 12-14 pointer.  They all knew my family and were afraid if they tried to shoot it and hit a cow they wouldn't be able to hunt on the land anymore.  That's when my mom told them they should have gotten her and she would have shot it as long as we got some of the venison.           Stewart

• Alc, pigsitter, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Does a skunk count?  Did not get a tag.

Many years ago, the Cheyenne used to live in Canada. They were kind of poor Indians and were known for eating skunks. Give it a try!

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Many years ago, the Cheyenne used to live in Canada. They were kind of poor Indians and were known for eating skunks. Give it a try!

I don't know, Rich...may have to pass on that sampling!!!

#11 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Before anti - lock braking came along , almost every year the company chariot would get one for me in the 90 's . Last few years no such luck .

My Semper fi boss has been trying his luck in my back yard . This year he and one of his sons each have gotten their buck here while I prop up the old DVT leg at work and reminisce .

My thoughts have been yielding dividends at times .

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I have a deal with the deer.....I don't hunt them and they don't jump out in front of my vehicles!

Last night there were 2 times I thought the deer hadn't got the memo!!

Scared the crap out of my wife....It was her car!!

Edited by KC9KAS, December 08, 2014 - 05:05 AM.

• Sparky, LilysDad and pigsitter have said thanks

#13 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:08 AM

8817506b1bb68d5b7fe6de3f7495d44a.jpg855a74118ef27387d3bbb5004e68143d.jpg I snagged these two on our land in Maryland. 8 point and a six. Not too bad but there is a big 10 I have on camera.
  • LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:11 AM

The six point was 140 lbs dressed and the 8 was 150 lbs dressed so I have meat and really that's all that matters. I shot both of these with compound bow. I just recently decided to purchase a recurve and practice all off season and shoot one next year with a recurve:))

#15 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Harvested a nice 8 pointer weekend before last. The dogs had him up and running!