trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 06:10 AM

With deepest regards and thanks.

In memory of my great Uncle Bill Nicholls, USAF, rest in peace.

Respectfully yours,

Jesse

• Alc, JDBrian, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#17 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,500 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:09 AM

My dad died 50 years ago on the 21st, massive heart attack at 41, I can't help but believe his stress level was greatly exaggerated by his experiences at Omaha Beach and the other hell holes he survived. God created that generation for that job, no other could have done it.

Edited by toppop52, December 08, 2014 - 07:09 AM.

• tinbender7, Cvans, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Vets talk about what they went through with other vets. My father hired only vets to work for him in the 50s and 60s(me and a holocaust survivor were the only exceptions). They would talk about the war sometimes, I listened and learned. I was amazed by what they went through and how they still suffered from what they had seen. In 1993 I was at the VA. Abunch of us were waiting to be called. One guy said that it was 25 years since he came home from NAM. He asked when the nightmares stop. An old gentleman said that it has been 75 years since he came home from France and they haven't stopped yet. What a terrible price to pay for surviving.

One WWII vet said that when he came home he tried to tell his family what it was like but they refused to believe that he had been through something so horrible. He didn't talk about it again for 40 years. A good friend of mine liberated 2 of the Nazi death camps but refused to tell his family about it. His oldest son and I were in the Army together in 1976 but he would not tell them because he was worried that they would be affected. I guess that he thought that I could handle it. I got him to write an autobiography but he left out that part. We argued about it for several years until he died. I think that most of them were afraid of being called liars or that they would horrify people.

I will say that when my dad and his friends talked about the war they all seemed in a better mood after. My father progressively got worse after he had to close the business.

I've still got my dads' 1940 Bluejackets Manual. My 1969 Soldiers' Manual disappeared years ago. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7, Cvans, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#19 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:43 PM

It's great to hear so many personal stories

My grandfather was also in the Navy during WWII and I remember he always said the US paid him to 'float around' in the Pacific for awhile. It has stuck with me that he could make such a positive out of a serious situation.

I try not to let anything get to me, since my life thusfar has been quite a bit easier than those before me.

• Cvans, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,500 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 07:30 PM

If you've ever seen war, any war, there is no explaining it, if you've never seen war, there is no explaining it.
  • KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#21 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 03:51 PM

I worked with a young guy, he had returned from doing a year in Afghanistan.  The poor guy was a mess.  Any slightest noise would have him on the floor freaking out, he would be talking to you and completely go blank then pick up where he left off after a few minutes, and basically had constant nightmares, didn't sleep, and pretty much was losing his mind.

He was discharged for missing too much work.  The company tried and tried to help him, and gave him chances to get himself together, but in the end they let him go.

The last time I seen him he was working in out locomotive shop, his fiance' had left him because of his problems, and he basically went into a rage, and started throwing stuff, and screaming, then collapsed on the floor hyper ventilating.  We talked him down, got him calmed down.  He didn't want to call his family, his future wife was all he had really, and he begged me and another guy to drive him home.  So we took the rest of the day off and I drove him in his car, and the other guy followed us. 

I don't know where he is now, I pray he has gotten better, if that can be done.

My grandfather served through the last part of Korea, and into the earliest part of us involment in Vietnam.  He was in the navy on an air craft carrier.  He said he never heard a single shot fired in his time in warzones, but they sent of many planes.  He received VA benefits but never used them.  He would not call himself a veteran because he said he was never in danger. 

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 09, 2014 - 03:54 PM.

• Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 06:28 PM

I spent 14 Months in 'Nam' with a self propelled artillery unit. Got mortared several times. I still duck with loud, unexpected noises. But, I had it much easier than a lot of folks!

• Cvans, MFDAC and toppop52 have said thanks

#23 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,500 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:14 PM

I spent 14 Months in 'Nam' with a self propelled artillery unit. Got mortared several times. I still duck with loud, unexpected noises. But, I had it much easier than a lot of folks!

I spent eleven months and a few days in that tropical paradise, mostly in the western Ashau, but some time in Laos and Cambodia, where of course, we never were. My outfit was there until November, when the 101 went home officially in May. 5th Spec ops, Special Detachment. Lived with the Montagnards when in the field, which was all but 3 weeks. They taught us where we cold hide, what we could eat, and how to stay alive in the midst of death. I've spent much time and a few dollars bringing as many to the communities in NC and other places, as we can. They have been persecuted and under appreciated for forty years.
  • KennyP, Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#24 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Wanted to say thank you to anyone that served and if not for you we would not be the nation we are . I know sometimes the stuff we see on the news might make us shake our heads but their is no place I would rather be then here in the USA
  • Cvans, MFDAC and toppop52 have said thanks