• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:58 AM

73 years ago the Japanese Navy attacked the Hawiian Islands and the US Navy at Pearl Harbor.  Remember my fathers' and uncles' generation. They did save the world.

• Bill56, MH81, KennyP and 15 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:09 AM

I have been really solemnized by looking at newspaper obituaries.  Every day two or three WWII vets die.  Before long, they will be all gone.  My parents generation lived around WWI vets in the same way.  My grandfather remembered seeing one of the last Civil War veterans in a 4th of July parade. 

Take time and shake just one man's hand, look him in the eye, and say thank you.

Ben W.

• Bill56, Alc, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#3 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:14 AM

What our navy learned to do under water with battery power was truly awesome .

• Bill56 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:28 AM

This day snuck up on me this year.  Usually I watch the calendar.  This day always spooked & intrigued me.  What a horrendous and historical event.  So much sacrifice & resolve.  My Dad was in WWII.

• Bill56, KennyP, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:50 AM

My FIL was in the coast guard stationed in the Philippines during the war I still refuse to buy a Japanese automobile isn't that silly.

• Bill56, Sparky, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:59 AM

I read a story of how a man named Ike was almost retired when he was called in for an opinion that year . I don't know how true the story is , but I liked it .

• tinbender7, superaben, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 10:27 AM

I've been reading a book about Siapan. It was a nasty battle that destroyed the 2nd and 4th Divisions of the US Marines. An acquaintence in town was with the 4th. I just realized that I haven't seen him in a couple of months. I hope to run into him at the local grocery store. Unfortunately, he and many other WWII vets (Korea and NAM vets too) are fading away.
  • Bill56, sacsr, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:21 AM

I always think of my Grandfather when WW2 is mentioned. He was in the Navy and worked in the engine room aboard an LST (landing ship tank). The Captain handed my Grandfather a camera and said " Vince, take all the pictures you can". I've looked through those pictures many times. He also wrote a journal of the daily events which we didn't know about until a few years back. He didn't think anyone would be interested in reading it. After a phone call, two people showed up at his house from the Library of Congress and did a video interview with him, and his memory at 90 was better than mine! He told many stories of life aboard the ship. One of the engines on his LST went out and they were falling behind the group of ships they were with. German U - boats always preyed on the stragglers in situations like this. Somehow, my Grandfather came up with a way to make repairs and got the engine back on line.
I never lived further than 2 miles away from my Grandparents, but sadly they have both passed on now. Luckily, they were able to live long full lives with family always at the house.
  • olcowhand, Bill56, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#9 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:58 AM

My FIL was in the coast guard stationed in the Philippines during the war I still refuse to buy a Japanese automobile isn't that silly.

NO, I do not think that is silly I am the same way for the same reason. lost an Uncle

• sacsr, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 03:29 PM

no it surely isn't silly at all... I am completely with you on that one.

• sacsr, tinbender7, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the reminder! One of my grandfathers was in the RCN in the Pacific as an ERA on motor torpedo boats. Lost a kidney but survived and lived to age 84. He never talked about the war, never! 

• Bill56, tinbender7, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#12 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 04:44 PM

My uncle Johnny was there at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked,he passed away earlier this year,he wouldn't buy a japanese car and I can fully guarantee he wouldn't think any of us were silly for not buying one as well!

Edited by pigsitter, December 07, 2014 - 04:45 PM.

• sacsr, tinbender7, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#13 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:26 PM

My father was an MP during the war and had 3 uncles on moms side in the navy,one was killed in the Manitowoc Wisconsin ship yards and the other two went to sea to fight.

Heres some pictures of a book my uncle sent my aunt in 1943-The Bluejackets manual--Told you everything about being a good sailer.

All are gone now,God bless them.

dads stuff 002.JPG dads stuff 003.JPG

My Father also never talked about it---not one word did I ever here him say about it.

Attached Thumbnails

• dads stuff 001.JPG

Edited by Bill 76, December 07, 2014 - 05:38 PM.

• Bill56, JDBrian, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 10:41 PM

I still have my Bluejackets manual also and the guys I served with will forever be young in my mind. 

• KennyP, JDBrian, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#15 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Great thread with stories that so much need to be remembered, shared and passed on! Dad was not at Pearl Harbor on that history changing day, but by mid 1942 he was heading for the south pacific on a destroyer. My uncle was badly injured at Sipan and I still remember the horrible scars through the calf of one of his legs. Uncle Art was the strongest little guy I ever met to this day. He was only about 5'3". Dad didn't talk much about the war, but I remember my uncle saying about the battle of Sipan that it was so horrible seeing women with kids in their arms jumping off the cliffs believing the lies that the American soldiers were there to rape and murder.

We lost all of Dad's WWII memorabilia in a flood in 1972 but here's a pic of his dogtag when he was called back to serve in Korea that I got later.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Dad's dogtag 003.jpg

• tinbender7, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks