• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DrBob762 OFFLINE  

DrBob762
  • Member No: 54859
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 01:15 AM

my son and i have made a deal for a 750 John deer (Yanmar) tractor the biggest broblem is that it wont go into gear with the engine running and the clutch pressed ALL the way down(gears grinding). I think the clutch plate may have rusted to the flywheel and is not disengaging. Also when i removed the rubber plug to inspect the plate, i found a small pice of steel in the plug recess. It looks like it might be a pice of one of the release bearing retainer clips. In any case the clutch needs to be looked at. Any sagely advise on splitting the tractor to get in there. I was an automotive tech for 27 years and bout done it all with cars and trucks but my exp. with tractors is limited. all technical advise on how to effect this manuner greatly appricated.  DrBob762

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Do you have a service manual.  The parts diagrams are available online at JDParts.com. If you do a model no. search for 750 the tractor should come up in the list. If you do an online search for clutch repair on that series of tractors 650, 750 etc. you may come up with a video of someone doing the job. 

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:40 AM

To do this you will need to split the tractor.  To do it safely you will need a tractor stand.  One of these will need to be mobile or able to move.  They can be fabricated if you have the tools & equipment or you may buy them.  I have bought the JD manual you need off the web for ~10..  Start there..  If you own the tractor- own the manual..Good Luck!

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 12:01 PM

Suggest IF a wide front to wedge wood tapers or some other brace from front axle to the upper engine area to keep from tipping over when you seperate the halves. With the center axle pivot, it will just flop over and may fall right over on floor or YOU. Almost did that with bigger tractor. I made supports for mine. ONe went under engine area, using some implement mount areas on tractor for front half, Then rear bolted up to similar areas behind clutch at trans area and Had Wheels on that section. That way could roll that whole section back when loose, using rear wheels and the support wheels I made.  There will be lots of little items like hoses, tubes, wiring, maybe steering and hydraulics to dis-connect maybe depending how much room to move that they may have, all before the actual split. To go back together, use ling studs or bolts, you may need to make to thread into one part of housing and taper other end to fit into the holes on other half and it will align much easier as it slides back together when done.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Here's a pic of a 650 split:

DSCN0585.jpg

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 12:28 PM

Cat, looks fun! Well, guess a little easier than the big ones, looks like. Engine hoist seems to work fine. That wouldn't have worked on my big tractors. Had mine on a big beam above with hoist on it. Guess these are small enough to not have same issues then. So....Never Mind! my post above. :D

#7 DrBob762 OFFLINE  

DrBob762
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 02:15 AM

Many thanks to all that replied. We have it in the shop now and have a few outher minor items that need attention before any jerking and tugging is attempted(rusted wheels and bulging tubes). But im confident that we can get it to release when the time comes. Atleast i really hope so, as the prospect of disassembly is not something i am looking forward to. I'll post the results of any outcomes so that outhers might get some good from it if possible. Thanks to all of you for your input. On line,On glide path,DrBob762 out.

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 09:50 AM

A buddy of mine's dad was working on an old Ford a while back..  He tried but couldn't get it to split and asked me to take a look..  I examined the whole housing and verified that all of the bolts were out then got a block of wood with a BFH..  I gave it a hefty whack and it opened like my nephew's mouth on an apple pie!  The biggest thing is to make sure all the bolts are out!!  Cast iron will break easily if it is still bolted together and you try to pry/bend things around!   :biting_nails:

#9 joecdeere OFFLINE  

joecdeere

• Member No: 5523
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:39 PM

Doc, check your messages, I have a PDF of the manual you can have

Joe

#10 DrBob762 OFFLINE  

DrBob762
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 12:20 PM

well we got the clutch to release by putting the trans in 5th gear and giving it 3 good sharp tugs with my old Toyota 4x4. changed all fluids and filters, greased all points ect. used the brush mower about 2 hrs with many stop and starts to polish the plate and flywheel and all works well now. next I plan to attack the light system because nothing works. I suspect a corroded main pwr. connection or maby the dist. switch on the dash. thanks for all the input. and to joecdeere ill be getting in contact with u to get the pdf u contacted me adt.    DrBob     out.

• Trav1s said thank you