#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 08:29 PM

WOW! You have a great collection! Talk about bringing back memories! I had a large quantity of HO slot car gear. Probably over 100 cars and never raced on a track with more than 2 lanes. I foolishly gave it all away. :wallbanging:

Geno

Hi Geno, thanks! Back in '84 or '85 around 20 years after I got my first HO track for Christmas, I got another one from my wife and brother-in-law! Of course we raced a lot in an unorganized group here and at B-I-L's as he had a track setup too.

Stick with me, I am getting to a point about giving away your cars, LOL! Anyway about 1988 a good friend moved away and gave me a couple dozen cars and some parts, thinking he would never have any use for them again. Fast forward to about 2000. We had raced off and on thruout the '90s, And low and behold, the old friend, Jim, moved back here and he was interested in racing HO's again! Even though some were destroyed, parts used up I still had some of his cars he had given me. Some were my first string racers. It was a no-brainer to give them back and he was grateful to get a jump start on putting together a collection to race again. I threw in a few extras for some compensation too. He is still racing them and is the guy on the far right of the group shot above!

Here's a few more pics of more cars and parts stashed around here. The big tackle box was my racing box I would take to the track and the smaller one is builder parts. There's a cardboard box around here somewhere with cars and parts too, and garbage bags of track and such upstairs in the shop I think!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• HO cars parts 006.jpg
  • HO cars parts 005.jpg
  • HO cars parts 004.jpg
  • HO cars parts 003.jpg
  • HO cars parts 002.jpg
  • HO cars parts 001.jpg

• bgkid2966 and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 12:09 PM

Your killing me looking at all this. I too had a large tackle box, cars fit in each compartment well. My Dad was a machinist & built me a metal box with compartments. I out grew that fast because it only held 30 cars lol.

This may not work now but something I discovered back in the day. On a Aurora car they used the small graphite discs as brushes right below the armature. They also used very small copper springs in between the pickup brushes & frame. Replace the graphite brushe's with these copper springs. The car's rpm's would scream. The only problem is sometimes the springs would get snagged on the armature plates as it spun around a lot faster. What I done to help prevent this I would very carefully taper each edge of the armature plates then polished with 000 steal wool. I also had to air blow to make sure no metal fibers left would short out. These were cars that were designed back in the 60's to maybe early 70's.

Edited by Sawdust, January 06, 2015 - 12:10 PM.

• MFDAC and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Yeah Jim! Around here I didn't know anyone with fast enough reactions to drive the spring only brushless AF/X Magnetractions! They were ballistic and very uncontrollable on a technical track, plus the spring to commutator contact would start failing as that spring got hot after a few laps.

Now, when we were Drag Racing them---that setup was mandatory, along with a 4 ohm drag armature, or "Dewinding" an arm of higher resistance!

Those Mercs pictured above are brand-new reproduction chassis that are AF/X Magnetraction clones, with the addition of a small removable rail magnet.

Here's a pic of a few of my Magnetraction parts chassis. Looks like I did a lousy photo job. The black chassis by the complete car is a repro and the rest are original Aurora.

Also here's a couple pics of an HO scale truck fleet (GMC Astro's no less) I lettered for a special race 4 years ago that also are powered by the reproduction Magnetraction chassis.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• HO cars parts 008.jpg
  • 108_0340.jpg
  • 108_0338.jpg

• bgkid2966 and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:32 PM

This ain't very substantial compared to the awesome model railroad and rc airplane stuff going on in this part of the forum, but I'm lettering another HO scale 18 wheeler. I had to scan and re-draw the logo from a pretty beat up brochure then hope to heck that it has lines thick enough to see for weeding. Computer work and weeding is done and I think it will actually work. Converting the soda pop semi into this.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• HO Pete 001.jpg
  • HO Pete 002.jpg

• bgkid2966 said thank you