#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Well, ok so they are slot cars! They run on an HO track but I think the club I did this for said these Merc bodies were a little bigger than the normal 1/87th and 1/64th scales of "HO" slot cars. I raced in this club for many years but it was quite time consuming so I gave it up. I still have a lot of cars and enough track to build a 4x8 layout again someday to replace the 5x10-6 lane I sold in 2006.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• hosers stickers 001.jpg
  • hosers stickers 002.jpg
  • hosers stickers 004.jpg
  • hosers stickers 005.jpg
  • hosers stickers 006.jpg
  • hosers stickers 007.jpg

• Gtractor, GTTinkerer, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Those Mercs look pretty good. When I was a kid we had slot car track in 1 /12th scale. Later on we had the HO scale. My son still has the 1 /24th scale. We had a layout on 4 pieces of 4' X 8' plywood. Had to take it down when we had my youngest sister. Needed the room. They can be addicting. If you are on facebook there is a group called Slot Car Mods and they have some great layouts.  Thanks for sharing.                                                                                Roger

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Wow...how could you weed such small decals?  My cheaper cutter won't even cut that small & it come out even close to right.

• MFDAC and superaben have said thanks

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 09:52 PM

The hell with all that weeding lol. I don't think mine will cut that small either. They look good.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#5 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 10:37 PM

O my that is great, you have the patience of a saint . nice job.

• MFDAC said thank you

#6 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 10:40 PM

Those Mercs look pretty good. When I was a kid we had slot car track in 1 /12th scale. Later on we had the HO scale. My son still has the 1 /24th scale. We had a layout on 4 pieces of 4' X 8' plywood. Had to take it down when we had my youngest sister. Needed the room. They can be addicting. If you are on facebook there is a group called Slot Car Mods and they have some great layouts.  Thanks for sharing.                                                                                Roger

I raced a lot of 1/24th as a kid, but 1/12th!!! Wow I'd love to see one of those! Actually, my first HO track was 1964 Christmas then I started racing on commercial tracks in 1966 with HO's then a year later discovered 1/24th at a huge commercial facility. In 1973 I went to work on full scale racecars and stayed with them a few decades. Then I digressed I guess! You are welcome, Roger, and thanks for the facebook deal. "HOSERS" is also on facebook.

Wow...how could you weed such small decals?  My cheaper cutter won't even cut that small & it come out even close to right.

It never was real easy, but after doing literally hundreds of HO and 1/24th cars and staying with the same cutter and vinyl since I started doing them close to 20 years ago I've seemed to hit on the right blade depth and cutter speed to cut them. It still took most of the day so it sure ain't anything a person could profit from!---LOL! Just trying to help the club out some.

The hell with all that weeding lol. I don't think mine will cut that small either. They look good.

Thanks! I used to be able to do this stuff with the nekkid eye, but now I have to look through that dang magnifying light!

Here's a pic of my 22 year old American made Ioline cutter and I'm still running it on a windows 98 pc!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Ioline 001.jpg

• hamman, KennyP, bgkid2966 and 5 others have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 01:23 AM

Nice job, brings back memories. I too use to race the 1/24th scale cars at our local hobby shop 6 lane commercial track with a Cox controller. I also raced the HO scale Aurora cars at home in the basement. I gave all this stuff away as I got older....should have kept it :)
  • MFDAC said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 02:02 AM

Wow, that brings back a lot of childhood memories. We had a few different tracks and several different cars that we used to race with.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Great job on the decals!

• MFDAC said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Great job on the decals!

Yes indeed!

• MFDAC said thank you

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Nice job, brings back memories. I too use to race the 1/24th scale cars at our local hobby shop 6 lane commercial track with a Cox controller. I also raced the HO scale Aurora cars at home in the basement. I gave all this stuff away as I got older....should have kept it :)

Thanks Jim, in the mid to late 60's while doing commercial competetive racing I tried to do both HO and 1/24th, but had to drop the HO for financial reasons. Painting fences for our trailer court owner only paid enough to do one so I went to the 1/24th. The first pic below is all that is left of them after they were found after a flood in 1972. I think it was a Parma controller I was using with these.

Wow, that brings back a lot of childhood memories. We had a few different tracks and several different cars that we used to race with.

It was a lot of fun, Brian! If I could make more time I'd still do it! The current "HOSERS" club has 3-4 lane tracks they run on rotating weekly and also have my 6 lane I sold but is currently in storage. My brother-in-law started that club, and owns 3 large 4 lane tracks, a big 6 lane and has on loan from the owner, the original commercial "Aurora Tub Track" that came to our town in a hobby shop in the mid sixties. They are all in perfect racing condition but he has taken a couple years off from the slots to finish up some stuff on his full-scale hot rod collection.

The other pics are a few HO slots I built and lettered for racing. Maybe someday I will rip a few laps with them again!

Attached Thumbnails

• flood 124 slots.jpg
  • Old mod slot cars 004.jpg
  • Ho's 003.jpg
  • Old mod slot cars 005.jpg
  • Old mod slot cars 003.jpg
  • Old mod slot cars 006.jpg
  • 911slots.jpg
  • Ho's 001.jpg

• bgkid2966, pigsitter and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:32 PM

Wow Dac what a collection. Looks like you did some custom body work on some of them. Your fortunate to still have those. I had 43 HO Aurora cars some were custom bodies I done. I can remember sometimes my Dad would buy me one every now or then before I started doing odd jobs. He couldn't understand why I wanted the Aurora cars for $1.49 when the Tyco's were .10 cents cheaper. I dug up one of my favorite 1/24 scale cars on eBay sure wished I still had it. At the time nothing could touch it. I bought mine for $12. because it had the optional blown clear plastic body. I painted it metal flake lime green with gold stripes. The good ole days

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35e1351619

• MFDAC said thank you

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Wow Dac what a collection. Looks like you did some custom body work on some of them. Your fortunate to still have those. I had 43 HO Aurora cars some were custom bodies I done. I can remember sometimes my Dad would buy me one every now or then before I started doing odd jobs. He couldn't understand why I wanted the Aurora cars for $1.49 when the Tyco's were .10 cents cheaper. I dug up one of my favorite 1/24 scale cars on eBay sure wished I still had it. At the time nothing could touch it. I bought mine for $12. because it had the optional blown clear plastic body. I painted it metal flake lime green with gold stripes. The good ole days

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35e1351619

Hi Jim and thanks for the commentary and compliment on these. I remember the Cox "La-Cucaracha"! Those were about the fastest inline motor slot car of the time and with the floating side pans the body mounted to they handled great too! I had a Cox(I think) "Stinger" sidewinder which had awesome acceleration, straightaway speed and braking BUT the cars like yours killed it in the corners which was still more important since the track I raced on was pretty technical and had curvy hills and slopes. I had to step up to the "plummer angle winder" type piano wire soldered racing chassis to start beating them. That's what that chassis is in my first pic is, except the pictured one is 1/32 scale. The chassis was called an 888 since it cost $8.88 bare. THEN a motor, cost 12, 15 or 20 bucks, depending on how much power you could afford or handle driving, add axles, bushings, guide shoe, brushes, lexan body (unpainted like yours) and tires it became a 25 to 40 dollar car!

Those HO's I pictured were all built within the last 15 years and all got raced heavily, most are very much custom built some bodies were built from scratch out of old credit cards.  We had quite a few classes from stock and modified Aurora Thunderjets, AF/X and Magnetraction as well as Tyco X-2's. In about the same time frame good quality T-jet and Magnetraction chassis and bodies started being re-produced at very fair prices. I've got a few original ones from the 60's that a friend gave me that I never did race which are pictured here.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Original 60-70s slots 001.jpg
  • Original 60-70s slots 003.jpg
  • Original 60-70s slots 004.jpg

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#14 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,036 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I thought I would wrap this up with some pics from the race yesterday. Even though it was an all-out blizzard in many places around here including where I work, they still had a good turnout. The first pic of the overall track was taken a couple weeks ago.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Bonnieville.jpg
  • Bonnieville entrants.jpg
  • Bonnieville podium.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, January 04, 2015 - 09:19 PM.

• bgkid2966 and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 09:39 PM

WOW! You have a great collection! Talk about bringing back memories! I had a large quantity of HO slot car gear. Probably over 100 cars and never raced on a track with more than 2 lanes. I foolishly gave it all away. :wallbanging:

Geno