44 replies to this topic

#31 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Yeah I wasn't sure if it would freeze, but it just uses the tiny 1lb. 'camping' propane cylinders. It was definitely turning to slush so I'd rather keep the fuel in a cupboard indoors

Is that one of those buddy heaters?

#32 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:02 PM

Yep medium sized buddy heater. 3 settings, up to 18,000 BTU, blower fan, and runs on 1 lb propane cylinders

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#33 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Those things will throw some heat. They do sell an adapter for those to hook them up 20 lb tank

#34 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:05 PM

Got to push more snow today than ever before! Ol' Ford held up nicely!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420844690.944560.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420844706.410036.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420844715.209483.jpg
  • WNYTractorTinkerer, Bill 76 and propane1 have said thanks

#35 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 09:58 PM

The reason it frosts up is the burner is trying to burn more fuel than the tank can vaporize, so it freezes the moisture in the air around the tank, causing the frost. And remember that it is producing carbon monoxide deadly gas. We all know what that does to us ! Noel

Oh, and nice looking tractor and nice job of plowing.

Edited by propane1, January 09, 2015 - 10:00 PM.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#36 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 02:24 PM

Returned from my first ever trip to Asia and was welcomed by a frozen hot water pipe and sub-zero temps! Thanks a lot Michigan.

So much for a smooth transition from sipping Pina Coladas in 80 degree sunshine in the South China Sea to the frozen wasteland of Midwest America!

After remembering that I have a plug-in pipe line heater (installed by previous owner to the hot water tank pipes located in the garage for some insane reason), I cracked open a couple faucets, let them slow drip overnight and awoke to full hot water pressure. Boy what a relief!

For those who have been, or those who may be interested, Singapore is a beautiful modern city which will show you the best of Indian, Malaysian, and Chinese cultures.

Thailand has great historic temples and architecture, cheap food, and cheap massages (although the little ladies pack a punch)

• KennyP said thank you

#37 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 02:43 PM

I take it your trip was enjoyable!

#38 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 05:51 PM

The Ford got a friend today

It was too good of a deal to pass up, so I hopped into my friend's truck and we set out towards western Michigan to pick up a Ford LT12H. Not running, decent shape from the outside, 38" deck and bagger attachment included. 

Looked so cozy in the bed

30hpr15.jpg

First things first I tested the flat front left tire to see if it would hole air. It will not. Major dry rot and cracking in the front tires so that will be an early expense

2r23u3q.jpg

The back has the bagger mounting box and he did include all the parts/bags/chutes/etc for that attachment. Damn ugly but functional

xmiogk.jpg

An initial inspection of the engine hasn't shown me much, but I intend to do a complete teardown and rebuild on this one. 

25i3f4x.jpg

Looks like this will be a busy and interesting spring!

• KennyP said thank you

#39 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 08:34 AM

Well it was a fairly eventful day for me.. I got the deck all finished up and mounted, despite needing a bit of modification

The lift arm hanger on the YT16 sits about 1.5" higher off the ground than on the LT12, so I needed to extend the chain just a bit. Rather than deal with chain links, I added a strong carabiner clip rated for 400lbs. This now connects the lift arm to the chain and gives me that extra inch.

The bagged was quite a project too as I had to extend the rear mounting box by 2" to clear the larger rear fender on the YT. I ended up making two simple plate adapters out of plate steel to shift the mounting hole locations enough. All out together, she's quite a looker

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430486815.140683.jpg

The first mow was ok but I noticed a couple things. First off, my yard is bumpy as sh** and makes for a difficult job to cut evenly.

Second, my bagger captured exactly Zero blades of grass! I rechecked that the 'thrower' blade is closest to the exit, and the blades seem to be spinning plenty fast because it cuts the grass well, it just doesn't reach the bagger. Any way to improve that?

And third, the engine seemed to struggle much more with the deck than it ever did in the winter pushing snow. It ran hotter, couldn't maintain the same level of power / RPMs the whole time I was cutting, and sometimes felt underpowered. I'm debating using a bit of marvel oil in the YT oil/gas to try and regain peak performance.

#40 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Don't know about your bagger woes, but tractor looks very nice!

Have you thought about rolling your yard to smooth it out?  Dad was always a big believer in rolling his lawn every spring.

#41 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Well, it's been awhile since I've been logged in after selling the Fords on an "even trade" for a '79 Fiat Spider. I sure do miss this place and I sure do miss working on those Fords. The YT that got away was a good one. I can't complain, though, because through some hard work and restoration, I have basically traded my way up from a garden tractor and a half (LT12H was barely running) to a "rough-ish" Spider, to now a nice, all-original 1984 Pininfarina Spider.

Now, it's onwards and upwards in a search for a tractor!

My needs will probably be fulfilled with my push mower and new Gilson 2-stage snowblower. It has a Briggs 5hp "easy-spin" which I'm hoping to gather some more info on. Runs very well, auger is in great shape, and already used it to mow down the trick or treaters!

The tractor comes into play with my parents new cabin in Northern Wisconsin. What a spectacular part of the country for those who haven't been. Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are worth visiting for any boating, fishing, driving, fall coloring, relaxinf folks out there. So, the search begins for a "Cabin Queen" which will have extremely light mowing and cart hauling duties. The early contenders are 60s-80s Allis Chalmers, Case, Ford, and Jacobsen

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20161031-WA0001.jpg
  • IMG_20161031_1930208.jpg

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#42 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Are you still driving the Fiat? How did it hold up?

#43 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Yep, still drive the Fiat 500 Abarth daily and have 40,000 miles on it. It's the most fun car I've ever had! No issues yet

The '84 is the real show stopper though. Red and tan Italian beauty

Attached Thumbnails

• FB_IMG_1469326365958.jpg
  • IMG_2442.JPG

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#44 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted November 30, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

I spent mine with my dad's side of the family in rural NW Oklahoma. It's always nice to get away to a small town and just relax.

One of the highlights of the trip was riding through my Uncle's pasture and feeding his cows a roll of alfalfa. They've got a neat rear contraption on a work pickup that rolls it out like a roll of toilet paper basically. Pretty neat!

Meanwhile, I sit back in Detroit waiting for a chance to use the Gilson snowblower :watch_over_fence: 

#45 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted November 30, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Seems like you started this two almost two years ago to the day waiting for snow.  :D

Seeing as how your still driving your Abarth, how tall are you and how is the fit?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michigan, detroit, ford, fiat, yt 16h