• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'm rebuilding the carb on the 129 but the main jet is stuck I tried wd40 and still nothing any tips on how to remove it ? 

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 12:08 PM

WD 40 wont be much help, Most of the time on stuff thats really stuck or gummed up I spray out a whole can of carb cleaner into a container and let the carb soak over night.

• Sawdust and bbuckler have said thanks

#3 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm soaking in vinegar right now.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 01:19 PM

Patience is the key on things like this, Like said above soak it overnight is always the best thing to try first..

I  use a screw driver that I ground to fit tight in the jets slot. I also use a screw driver that has a handle that I can put an adjustable wrench on for added leverage.

Now I put the carb in a vice with the jet facing up (if possible),between either soft jaws or blocks of wood,then  I soak the jet with PB Blaster. Put the screw driver on the jet and give the screw driver handle a couple hits with a hammer (to shock the threads) Just don't hit it too hard as to break the carb.

Now put the adjustable wrench on the screw driver handle and while pushing down on the screw driver handle try and loosen the jet, if you get it to move make sure to move it a little in both directions (loosen then tighten). Take your time and tap with a hammer again to shock it a little more.

What ever you try, just be patient. Good luck :thumbs:

• Alc, HDWildBill, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,479 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Grind to fit the driver is most important part. If you use too small a tip, will break off the slot edges, and NEVER get it out. Myself don't remove or try anymore after some bad luck on those and just try to soak and clean best I can with that still in carb. NOT the best idea, as there are tiny holes that can plug on that main jet tube, but sometimes if carb was working pretty good, I think leaving it is better choice. I've had to replace carb bodies when I messed them up in past. Sometimes with good fit driver, they just pop loose easy and you are happy, most times doesn't happen that well. Good Luck!

• HDWildBill and bbuckler have said thanks

#6 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Grind to fit the driver is most important part. If you use too small a tip, will break off the slot edges, and NEVER get it out. Myself don't remove or try anymore after some bad luck on those and just try to soak and clean best I can with that still in carb. NOT the best idea, as there are tiny holes that can plug on that main jet tube, but sometimes if carb was working pretty good, I think leaving it is better choice. I've had to replace carb bodies when I messed them up in past. Sometimes with good fit driver, they just pop loose easy and you are happy, most times doesn't happen that well. Good Luck!

I did end up leaving it and it runs good.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:21 PM

I've had very good luck with Boiling old carbs.Even if the jet is seized by corrosion Boiling will remove most of the Gunk and you might not have to remove the jet. Add a little vinegar to the water and let it boil for a good 30 minutes.

• Sawdust and bbuckler have said thanks

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I soak them in that berryman stuff had good results. I only had one so far on a flo-jet that snapped on me oh well it happens sometimes. The right size screw driver is a must too.