7 replies to this topic

#1 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Removed the mowing deck and got the tractor on jack stands. Had a few issues that needed addressed, leaking air on all 4 tires was one of them. I took all 4 rims/tires to our local tire shop and removed the 4, tubes went back in the Carlisle super lugs but first checking for thorns or any sharp debris. Ordered a new set of wide front tires and are 6 ply Deestone @ $32.50 ea. I had Carlisle Chevron's on the front and noticed they were cutting the turf pretty bad...these "Cyclops" or GT series has a sharp turning radius so hoping the new smooth rib fronts will be easier on the turf. Has anyone used these fronts on their machines?

Next I drained the Hytran and installed a new filter. Drained the engine oil and new oil/air filter was replaced. When the new starter came in the mail I tackled that replacement...these B&S Vanguard V-twin engine starters are not a simple task to remove/install without the right tools. I made mine several yrs ago. The replacement starter is smaller yet seems to turn the engine over faster than the OEM. Two new spark plugs and greased.

I went thru the mowing deck last spring, made a few minor weld repairs and installed new belts...everything looked OK but put a new edge on the blades. Here in the mid south bradford pear trees have just lost their leaves so I mulched up the leaves before the rain came. I think I'm gonna like them new "stones" on the front~ Sorry about a few blurred pix from my cell. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 007.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 008.jpg

• MH81, Alc, JohnDeere214 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,872 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:37 AM

I don't one of these tractors but I think it would be interesting to see the tools you made for removal of the starter and it might help other's who do own one. thanks . Hankg

• Alc, WrenchinOnIt and BNK have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Sounds like it should be ready to 'rock-n-roll'.

• WrenchinOnIt and BNK have said thanks

#4 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 06:48 AM

I don't one of these tractors but I think it would be interesting to see the tools you made for removal of the starter and it might help other's who do own one. thanks . Hankg

The starter is used on various B&S engines, on a single lung vertical shaft it is easy removal. All I did was heat and bend the boxed end of a 13 mm open/boxed end wrench. Once the bolts are snug I'll use the adjustable wrench with the modified wrench for a little more torque. There is also a small debris shield made of tin that covers the bendix/flywheel area that went back in place using a magnetic screw driver. Removable thread locker was used as well.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 003.jpg

• Alc, WrenchinOnIt and HANKG have said thanks

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:24 AM

+1 on the custom tools. I have several sets of "custom" made wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc to fit better in certain applications.  But if you don't want to make/bend a wrench, a "crows foot" usually works on this type of setup as well. just FYI......

#6 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:36 PM

I had the smooth tires on my 129 they work good. Don't steer in winter worth crap at least not 4 me.

#7 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:01 AM

+1 on the custom tools. I have several sets of "custom" made wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc to fit better in certain applications.  But if you don't want to make/bend a wrench, a "crows foot" usually works on this type of setup as well. just FYI......

I have metric/SAE crows foot set(s)...tried them first but no room to remove the hardware. Most thankful for the input tho~

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#8 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 04:26 PM

I have replaced a few Briggs starters on twins.

When replacing the starter I use a socket head bolt on the top, makes it easy to remove if needed again.  :thumbs:

• BNK said thank you