4 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Just came in from the wood shop. It's 35* out side and jut 42* in the shop. No heat in it yet hopefully next year. Most of the work I'm doing now is for Christmas presents. Normally do them in friends shop but he has smallet power tools and I needed bigger ones. Need to have them done in a week and a half. Making a planter for my Daughter in law looks like a porch swing. Have to make one for a great friend our daughters who helped he at the wedding. Making two at a time. Still need to make three more before next fall. Expensive if I had to buy all the wood. About 14 years ago I was given 22  40' white pine trees. My old boss and I cut them down and my BIL hauled them on his log truck. His brother cut them up for me into 2" X 4"s and 1" X 4", 1" X 8", 1" X 10", 1" X 12" and 2" X 6" and 2" X 10". All 10' long. I have used some for tongue and groove for a few rooms and a wall in the garage. Still have a lot left. Using that up. Been blessed with a lot of great wood tools so I can plane, edge and rip and cross cut all of this with our tools.  No pics yet but will when I get further along.  

Next project is for a old style baby cradle.  Made with over 100 year old barnwood. Going next week to pull the wood from a barn of a friend who is tearing it down.                                                                                                                                 Roger

P.S. that's not me in the picture. I don't look that good. LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• cradleplans.PNG

Edited by hamman, December 05, 2014 - 08:51 PM.

• Alc, sacsr, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,514 Thanks
  • 2,826 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Sounds so familiar Roger building things for Christmas. I'm getting off easy this year. The biggest thing I need to make is a Dry Sink for my wife. I can remember many times working late on Christmas Eve to get everything done. That wood supply sounds nice to work with.
  • Alc and hamman have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 06:48 AM

22 40ft. White Pine trees is a lot of wood. We have White Pine around our property here. The shade is nice but the needles and the sap on the cones can be a nuisance. Those sound like really nice gifts. Must be pretty hard to work in 42F though. 

• hamman said thank you

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,271 Thanks
  • 3,692 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 06:57 AM

That is a neat looking cradle. I find it so hard to get motivated to start a project when the shop is that cool. 

• hamman said thank you

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 07:28 AM

It's so nice you make handcrafted projects . I hope you date and sign the bottoms so many years from now when someone is wondering where it came from they'll turn it over and see ! Looking forward to see other  gifts your making  and if you have some from other years .

• hamman said thank you