• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:11 AM

I love my vintage garden tractors but my combination of go-to tools to get stuff done is a JD 445 to cut grass with and a Deere 4475 skid loader to move everything, including my vintage garden tractors that don't run. 

• Cvans said thank you

#47 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 03:33 PM

My grass mower is a craftsman DYT 4000 bought it new in 05 on the second engine but I have put her threw hell like pushing snow with a homemade push box that I made to get me threw the winter . And the tractor that got me started collecting 1972 sear custom 8 then there is my second favorite tractor if I had a mower deck it would be my first and that my allis chalmers big ten it is a work in progress it runs like a top has lots of power for being a ten hp.
Then there is the ugly duckling of the bunch it's a greens keeper my buddy was going to junk it so it took it off his hands I hate to see any of them go to the scrap yard
  • Cvans said thank you

#48 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,337 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 04:27 PM

I Want more GTs but don't have the money or Storage.I usually end up getting 1 or 2 that do not run or have various other mechanical problems and fix them up and sell them then go get another one or 2.I make zero money doing this but it's something I really enjoy.Otherwise the GTs would of been scrapped or parted out.I've saved Alot of old GTs and most of them are still in use.That really makes me happy.Some that I've got running and made operational ended up sitting in the weeds.Wish I could get those ones back and sell them to someone that would take care of them.

I would rather work on older Briggs and Stratton powered machines.Kohler parts are twice as expensive and Alot of Tecumseh parts are very hard to find.Wisconsin parts are really really hard to find unless you have them shipped 1/2 way across the country.Shipping is getting bad enough to where I have to Budget out for shipping expenses. 

Wish I had a bigger shop.I'm working out of a 10x10 shed that I pieced together out of an old shed my neighbor was about to tear apart and burn.It's completely full of hand tools and boxes of parts.Not enough room to even put 1 push mower in out of the weather.

• olcowhand, Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#49 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 05:03 PM

I Want more GTs but don't have the money or Storage.I usually end up getting 1 or 2 that do not run or have various other mechanical problems and fix them up and sell them then go get another one or 2.I make zero money doing this but it's something I really enjoy.Otherwise the GTs would of been scrapped or parted out.I've saved Alot of old GTs and most of them are still in use.That really makes me happy.Some that I've got running and made operational ended up sitting in the weeds.Wish I could get those ones back and sell them to someone that would take care of them.

Its always good to hear guys bringing these machines back to life and out of the hands of the scrappers/parters.

More and more people are now buying used instead of new now a days and we need guys like you to save whats out there.

Wisconsin parts are really really hard to find unless you have them shipped 1/2 way across the country.Shipping is getting bad enough to where I have to Budget out for shipping expenses. 

I beg to differ!

Lots of parts are still being made in Wisconsin and readily available!

Let me know what you need, I'm a Wisconsin Dealer &  dont charge "Handling" fees on shipping either :thumbs:

• EricFromPa and Cvans have said thanks

#50 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 733 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 08:20 PM

My First Bolens HT23, I put P.S. on it as well as a hydro cooler and new front tires,the blade stays on it year round, I've used it a ton, snow blade, sno-cast, moving dirt, running the hammermill shredder. It plows three neighbors drives as well as my own(400'+) its the first tractor I grab all seasons, its stout (900hrs now) realible, whatever I need to do, yard cart , 3pth york rake the drive when needed, its ready to go, I wouldn't be without it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4926.jpg
  • img_0139.jpg
  • img_0482.jpg

• olcowhand, EricFromPa, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#51 Dirtdog OFFLINE  

Dirtdog

• Member No: 1062
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 09:39 AM

For grass cutting i use the ingersoll/case 224

For snow removal i use a wheel horse 520 or the wheel horse 314

• Cvans said thank you

#52 Yorke OFFLINE  

Yorke
  • Member No: 62359
  • 7 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Since September my go to tractor is the FF18. The mower deck and back blade have been the most used.
Waiting, not hoping, for snow to try out the snowblower.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• KennyP, Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#53 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 13, 2014 - 06:03 PM

This year I got a new go to garden tractor, which has taken pressure off of two tractors. I don't need much for my go to garden tractor as most of its tasks are pull this from here to there. I no longer have to use the too light Toro (a personal favorite) I know is too light, but actually started, which the first choice, the Crartsman GT6000 I made really useful and heavy didn't start. Anyway, my go to GT is this 1967 Cub Cadet 102. The tires are loaded, the seat is comfy, the engine starts and runs good, and it is set up with a custom built hitch to allow me to move my utility trailers around the yard/driveway. If I need something for plowing I use the Farmall Cub. Hope to next year have the Farmall 140 set up with the loader for lifting.

I need fresh pictures so will edit them in tomorrow.

edit this picture into my original post
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418511792.323821.jpg
  • Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#54 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • Member No: 50166
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 06:43 PM

My favorite is my first, a cub cadet 2182 super garden tractor that I bought new in February of 1993 equipped with a 48 inch deck, 54 inch haban blade, ag tires, 2 link chains, and 75 lb wheel weights. It starts right up in the coldest weather, has never let me down, and has required very little cash to keep it going since it's purchase.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140924_114806567_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20140924_114838380_HDR.jpg

• MH81, Cvans, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#55 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 06, 2015 - 11:01 AM

My favorite tractor is probably my Farmhand 100J. I have the original manual showing that it was bought new 10/12/63. All I have done is reupholster the seat. I brought it to the Garden Tractor Daze show in Portage, WI last summer. I am very fortunate to have found one is such nice original shape.

Farmhand FR.jpg farmhand CL.jpg

My current go-to tractor is my White 112H, which is also one of my favorites because of the interesting history I have with it. It took me nearly three years to find it and I essentially saved it from the scrap yard. I had to free up a lot of rusted parts and clean the fuel system but it turned out to be very mechanically sound. I have begun replacing a few parts and plan to fully restore it someday.

white cl 2.jpg white CL.jpg

Edited by RAJ, February 06, 2015 - 11:03 AM.

• KennyP, sacsr, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#56 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 09:19 PM

My favorite is my only current real tractor, a B6100 Kubota. 16 hp diesel, 3 point, and PTO does everything I ask of it. It can move snow, run my bush hog, and pull whatever I tie on the back. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423534449.446328.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423534523.841867.jpg

It does everything but mow the lawn. That duty goes to my 3016 Dixon. I know it's a unitasker, but I drug it home for free years ago, and you can't beat the speed and ease of a zero turn.
  • Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: favorite, tractor