Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 07:27 AM

My favorite tractor is my Bolens 1050. It's my favorite because it's reliable and has never let me down. It can sit for 6 months without being run and still fire right up with no problems, it's also a beast of a tractor and can do a lot considering it's only 10hp.

I don't have a set go to tractor. Normally if I need a tractor I'll go to the shed and take out the one closest to the door, depending on what task I need done. Also most times I only have 3-4 tractors out of 10+ that are turn key and ready to go.

This my story too....I have 20+, 18 or 19 are turn key, and a dozen or so are in a rotation to be near the door when duty calls. I love to burn petro through all of them, whenever I can come up with an excuse to do so.

My go-to is my Allis B-110. My first, and best IMO. Its short wheelbase, 10hp Briggs, hydrolift and gear drive makes it a real mule for anything. It has that "patina" mentioned earlier that makes my garage queens drool.

I have found great utility from my late model tractors, but they dont give the same simplistic feel of the old Allis. She still gets called up for 1st string snow team duty!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• MH81, IamSherwood, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#32 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:06 AM

I have multiples, but only a couple that actually run so my go to is my Sears 16/6 single. It's not been fail safe, but it's my go to whether thats mowing duty, snow plowing, using the dump bucket, pulling trailers or plowing garden.
My favorite though in the barn is still the old Allis HB 212, Hasn't ran since 1990, but it's the tractor I grew up on.

002.jpg
044.jpg
image.jpg

373.jpg
  • MH81, sacsr, Delmar and 1 other said thanks

#33 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:24 AM

Well, I hate to say it but I have three go to tractors for different tasks but I can, however, narrow the favorite down to one.

The favorite will always be my 54 Pond because dad bought it new.  We lost it for 11 years and then I found it and bought it back.  So many childhood memories on that tractor.  How can it not make favorite status?  Here's a picture of it with dad next to it, taken a couple of years ago.

GEDC0265.JPG

My go to for mowing is my 315-8 Wheelhorse.  This was dads tractor as well and I bought it from him when he could no longer get on and off the thing (he is 90 afterall).  It does winter duty up at his house with the blade.

For plowing and pulling stumps or any ground engaging work, it has to be the Satoh Beaver.  It's just a beast with its 2 cylinder diesel engine.  I tell people when I idle it way down its as close to a John Deere as I have ever owned.  Here I am at a plow day with the Beav.

DSC_04311.jpg

For everything else, it's the Massey GC1705.  Fel work, snow duty around the house, just about everything.  It's my firewood tractor as well as it helps me take the pieces that I can't lift and stack them on top of each other.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it.

Massey blade 2.JPG

That's it.  To be honest, my favorite just happens to be the one I am on at the time but the Pond trumps all.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wheelhorse.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#34 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:47 AM

My favorite is my John Deere 318.  She mows great, pulls a 3-point 12" plow with ease,  runs a tiller, and pushes snow too.  What ever I ask of her, she does for me. 

• Cvans said thank you

#35 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Of the several tractors I have my go to tractor is my MF14 with a JD deck adapted for mowing.100_0708.jpg A few of the reasons is this is the first of my Massy's I purchased, it is the one I spend the majority of seat time, and reliable. Right now I mainly use it spring thru fall. Once I can locate a snow blower for it I would be using it year round.  
For the winter time my go to tractor is my MF8 with the snow blower. So far I have not had to use it this year for snow removal, and I would not be upset if I didn't have to use it this winter.

• Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#36 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well my favorite is our 'ol102, it has been in the family since 74 or 75 and I have beaten the crap out of it but it hasn't let us down.

image.jpg

it doesn't do much these day but I grew up on this machine and love it very much, lol.

Now I have 2 go to tractors and on top of the list is my 2086 cub super, it does all the mowing and snowblowing and it also has a 3 point.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And last but not least is our 2072, it does all the lifting and wood hauling and it's a super and fit me well.

image.jpg
  • Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#37 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I guess it is my turn now considering I am the one that started the thread. I have three favorites out of the five that I have. However until I get the front end loader hydraulics worked out on the Massey 1655 I can narrow it down to having two favorites for now.

For my go to tractor it would have to be my Massey MF12G. It was the very first garden tractor that I bought and at the time I needed something for mowing duties. Throughout the years I have acquired a few things for it along the way to make it even more useful. One would the a snow blade, another would be a snow blower and the third would be the sleeve hitch. Between mowing the grass during summertime and then clearing the snow in the winter it is definitely my go to.

Massey MF12 Blowing Snow.JPG

I have to say though my absolute favorite tractor our of the group would be my Bush Hog HD-12. I think it has the best looks out of all of them, I like the larger tractor frame as it makes it more comfortable. The sleeve hitch and belly lift is done with hydraulics even if the control valve for it is in an awkward position. The foot pedal for the hydrostatic control is a huge plus and now that I have it adjusted just right with the tension having the handle control with the foot pedal is also nice for when you get a kink in your leg. I have used it to brush mow in different areas at the house, and also plowed with it at a couple of different plow days. The latest one being down at Daniel's in Kentucky.

The only thing it hasn't done and why it isn't my go to is I can't do anything for snow removal. I do have a snow blade which Scott made that happen but I believe the blade is for the Bush Hog D4-10. 

Bush Hog HD-12.JPG

One of these days maybe my Massey 1655 will become the go to once I get the hydraulics worked out for the front end loader. I do have a snow blower and mower deck for it, along with the three point.

• limebuzz, MH81, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#38 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 10:48 PM

For everything else, it's the Massey GC1705.  Fel work, snow duty around the house, just about everything.  It's my firewood tractor as well as it helps me take the pieces that I can't lift and stack them on top of each other.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it.

Not to derail anything, but I am curious about your snowblade on that GC1705.  How hard do you find that thing to take on and off?  I see you have a loader on it too.  Does the subframe interfere with the loader operation at all?  I know it would interfere with the mower deck. 

Reason I ask that is for one, I have never personally seen a Massey GC1705 snowblade.  I am trying to sell one and I hate questions that I can't answer.

Ben W.

#39 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 11:05 PM

The blade is actually very easy to install. The hardest part is I have to take the front brush bar off. That's the only time I need tools. I don't have a mower for this tractor so I can't speak to anything there. I really don't think there would be any interference with anything to be honest.
  • superaben said thank you

#40 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:06 AM

My favourite tractor is also my go to tractor. It is my AC BigTen. It cuts my grass, tills my garden, grades my driveway, hauls my leaves and brush and blows snow in the winter. I love it's classic looks and the 10HP Briggs has enough power for any job I ask it to do.It is the tractor in my avatar hooked to the AC cart...Dave

• Cvans said thank you

#41 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:35 AM

This is my winter go to setup Bolens HT23. The 23HP Kohler and 2 stage blower has not found anything to stop it yet and the power steering really helps with the weight of the blower. I also have a JD445 which is the main mower for summer but no pic as it is put away for the winter.

hh 001.JPG

• Bolens 1000 and Cvans have said thanks

#42 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,210 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:38 AM

This is my winter go to setup Bolens HT23. The 23HP Kohler and 2 stage blower has not found anything to stop it yet and the power steering really helps with the weight of the blower. I also have a JD445 which is the main mower for summer but no pic as it is put away for the winter.

I wish I could have borrowed this during our winter storm a few weeks ago!

• Cvans said thank you

#43 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:45 AM

I have two 'go to' tractors.

The 1886 Forklift for obvious reasons.  When I need to move heavy stuff, and it seems like all of the Bolens attachments are heavy, it worth it's weight in gold.

The other is the HDT1000.  22 Diesel horses for trailer moving (with or with out a load). doing the heavy work, and able to climb tall hills in a single bound  :D :D :D

That forklift look damn good and the 1886 is a beast of tractor too.
  • Cvans said thank you

#44 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 09:32 AM

My John Deere 318 is my Favorite.

Attached Thumbnails

• 318 chains.jpg

• Cvans said thank you

#45 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 10:00 AM

The first tractor is my favorite. The second is currently a parts tractor but could be easily brought back but tires are expensive. The third is my Dad's which make the first so special to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo0184.jpg
  • DSCF0022.JPG
  • Dad's MF 1650 001.jpg

• limebuzz and Cvans have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: favorite, tractor