UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:07 PM

I am tired and hurting so I wont even try to correct my typos please bear with me.

WOrking on the neighbors well. It is an in ground pump Got it in and it didn't work. Pulled it back out ( almost 600 feet of pipe sheesh) and it had a loose connector. SO I fixed that and tested it while it was out of the ground with the entire lingth of wire. IT worked perfect. Put it back in and it doesn't work. Played with the pressure switch and nothing. Took the wiring off and straight wired it and it worked. SInce we thouight ti was the poressure switch we were just goign to leave it bypassxed. It never worked again.

IT has power 240v .  If i put the meter on contunity on the two motor leads to the pump it sometimes has it and sometimes not.

Is it supposed to have contunity on those two leads? I am thinking it should, but I was wrong onece before in kindergarden . ANy one else have any ideas before we have pull that dammed thing back up again>

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 12:05 AM

I am thinking ground ( center ) of the 220  is your problem . With the pump laying on the ground not in the well it had contact . Down below , iffy at best . Lightning damage to neutral is common .  Sounds like you need to pull it up .

I am 50 - 5o average days . A little better on my good days .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 05:49 AM

Agreed, I would look at the wires, if they are broken then it may be making contact when the wire is al rolled up then not when straightened causing it not to work when it is down in the well.

Pete

#4 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 07:00 AM

I agree that it a wire connection or broken wire problem also. Pumps have a lot of twist movement on start up . Sad to say but you will be pulling it again. Good luck

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Before you pull it again, check the easy stuff.  I went through this a few years back and it was not fun.  My well isn't that deep but it's in a goofy location (middle of the driveway, not my choice) and has to be located and dug up.  I had one that worked like this one and my problem (after pulling it several times) was a faulty breaker.  Check/change the breaker first, then at least you know before you pull it again.

#6 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Faulty wiring can show voltage but when put under load there is not a good connection somewhere and it will not carry enough amps to run the device. Like above start at the easy places first and work down. Especially if it is a GFCI breaker.

Good luck..

Tommy

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 08:15 AM

This is why my pump is in the basement even though the plumber and the pump guys keep telling me to go with a submersible. Before pulling it, test the resistances 3 ways. L1 to GR, L2 to GR, and L1 to L2. It may be that there is a poor connection and one of the lines has high resistance. Good Luck, Rick

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Willie be really careful working with 240v. It's a really dangerous voltage level for stopping your heart. Since the pump is 240v you don't have a neutral to worry about. The bad connection could be in the wiring or in the pump itself. If it is not taking out the breaker it looks like an open circuit somewhere. This is most likely to happen at the 2 ends of the wiring but since you've checked that my guess would be that it's inside the pump itself. I know, that's not good news!!

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Mine has a run-dry switch in it.  If it is vertical & not in water, it won't run.  Lay it flat on the ground & it will run.  The switch breaksthe continuity between the 240 lines.  

• Alc said thank you

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Checked the resistance and the neutral is bad. The neighbor decided to call in a pro. I am just glad I am not pulling it again.

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 04:00 PM

If you find out what the problem was please let us know ,   thanks  Al

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 06:14 PM

She called about 9 last night and said it had decided to work. Makes no sense to me. I thought we had pulled the connector out, but Steph said she thought we left it in. I was tired so I am not sure. Any way she somehow has water again.