12 replies to this topic

#1 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 225 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to show everyone what I have been up to. I used my Ford LGT 145 with FEL this year to plow snow in my horse pasture. I was amazed at how well it moved 12" of wet Maine Snow. I decided to take an old Snow Plow from an ATV and build brackets for it and mount it to the loader.

Here are some pics of my progress.

The Clamp on pieces are from Titan Industries on eBay and are 2" trailer receivers. The plow is from an ATV I bought off of craigslist for $25 over the summer.

I cut the sub frame off of the plow then welded 2x2x1/8" steel to make a bracket for the Titan Industry Receivers and voila! I will test during the next storm, then clean up, prime and paint it!

I also need to decide if I should paint the plow Black or Blue.

Thoughts?

Pics:

2014-11-27 09.00.35.jpg

2014-12-04 14.12.41.jpg

2014-12-04 14.12.47.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,153 Thanks
  • 2,232 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 03:25 PM

Nice!  Just like the big(er) boys!  I've toyed with the idea of converting my FEL plow (mounts in place of the bucket, not on the bucket) to something like that, but never felt my bucket was up for the task.  Looks like you dispersed the strain the mounts may have on the bucket quite nicely...pretty far apart and toward the outer edges.

Now all you need is an actuator for push button angling, and you're all set!

• IamSherwood and FilledTires have said thanks

#3 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 225 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 04:02 PM

I may weld some support pieces on the bottom of the bucket to prevent it from flexing. I am not sure how it will work, but it's worth experimenting. I thought about building it to mount directly to the loader arms, but then if I wanted to use the bucket I would have to take the plow off then mount the bucket. I figured the clamp on style would be quicker.

Good idea on the Actuators! If the plow ends up working as planned I will add  an actuator!

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,079 Thanks
  • 2,381 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 04:29 PM

looks good so far

#5 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,755 Thanks
  • 1,114 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Looks good. You made off like a bandit getting that blade for $25.   You don't really have to weld a piece on bottom of bucket, just clamp a piece of heavy plate the same dimension of bucket. The clamps are there and I tend to think this is a project you are going to change along the way as you lay awake at night dreaming up ways of improving the setup.  

• FilledTires said thank you

#6 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 225 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Jazz! Good idea!

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,057 Thanks
  • 4,461 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Very nice fab work.

I have a FEL and it came with a dozer type blade that mounts in place of the bucket, but I haven't mounted the FEL because it needs lots of work.

#8 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:08 PM

Filledtires,

Great to see a fellow Mainer on GTT. I'm in Winthrop. Your project is coming along nicely.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,995 Thanks
  • 6,918 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Having your snowplow clamp on the bucket has it's advantages over what I have on my PK which swaps the bucket for the snowplow , mine once it's on it stays on all winter , there where times I wished the bucket was back on for doing a few jobs around the house , too small to make swapping worth it , Yours I bet it wouldn't take but a few minutes to go back and forth !!!!

• Talntedmrgreen and FilledTires have said thanks

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,382 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 06:57 AM

Nice mounting system you've come up with there. I've been wanting to do

something like that for my Kubota B2710. Thanks for the idea.

You might want to think about adding some large clamp on shoes for the blade.

That way you can quickly remove them, once you've got a good ice base going.

#11 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,153 Thanks
  • 2,232 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Having your snowplow clamp on the bucket has it's advantages over what I have on my PK which swaps the bucket for the snowplow , mine once it's on it stays on all winter , there where times I wished the bucket was back on for doing a few jobs around the house , too small to make swapping worth it , Yours I bet it wouldn't take but a few minutes to go back and forth !!!!

The one benefit I enjoy, with a blade mounted in place of a bucket, is that you can tilt the blade.  I tilt mine forward, or down, for high speed pushing,  It keeps snow from coming over the blade, so you don't wear it, and if you happen to encounter something that may otherwise snag the blade, when tilted forward you won't hang up.

Likewise, when tilting it back, or up, you can scoop snow....when piling it up, it's nice to have the lift of the FEL, while curling the blade for pushing snow up and over.  I can also lay the blade forward till flat, then smoosh my piles to shrink them a bit after piling.

The big downfalls....no angle, and not as easy to install.  

Mine's not too bad to swap out.  I replaced the OEM pins with larger ones with handles.  I drop the blade, just shy of where the bucket lays on the ground.  Pull all 4 pins, lift my FEL arms and drove forward to align the bucket (the blade remains between the bucket and front of my tractor...just enough room).  Put in 2 arm pins, then adjust cylinders to align 2 cylinder pins and away we go.  The last part is the toughest...would be a breeze with someone else working the FEL joystick.

• Alc and Rock farmer have said thanks

#12 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 225 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 04:00 PM

The one benefit I enjoy, with a blade mounted in place of a bucket, is that you can tilt the blade.  I tilt mine forward, or down, for high speed pushing,  It keeps snow from coming over the blade, so you don't wear it, and if you happen to encounter something that may otherwise snag the blade, when tilted forward you won't hang up.

Likewise, when tilting it back, or up, you can scoop snow....when piling it up, it's nice to have the lift of the FEL, while curling the blade for pushing snow up and over.  I can also lay the blade forward till flat, then smoosh my piles to shrink them a bit after piling.

The big downfalls....no angle, and not as easy to install.  

Mine's not too bad to swap out.  I replaced the OEM pins with larger ones with handles.  I drop the blade, just shy of where the bucket lays on the ground.  Pull all 4 pins, lift my FEL arms and drove forward to align the bucket (the blade remains between the bucket and front of my tractor...just enough room).  Put in 2 arm pins, then adjust cylinders to align 2 cylinder pins and away we go.  The last part is the toughest...would be a breeze with someone else working the FEL joystick.

I should be able to still tilt the bucket with my set up. The motion will be limited though.

You could make a quick attach bracket for yours and add a pivot for side to side angling! 

#13 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 225 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 02:05 PM

I tested the plow today and it works great! I had to modify the bracket where the plow itself connects and move it so the plow sat lower. Welded it all up and it works great!

I scraped about an inch of ice off the driveway and horse pasture. Can't wait for the next big storm to see how it works with a lot of snow.

20141207_130858.jpg