• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dlang94 OFFLINE  

dlang94
  • Member No: 63471
  • 227 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 09:44 AM

I found this Jacobsen I believe it is a chief 1200 and I am interested in it, how hard are mower decks and other attachments to come by. And what do you all think of the tractor?? How would something like this do in a tractor pull? Thanks for looking!

c3789667d57df77ec1070ab6d80dcd5a.jpgb422b2f5686645da4c9688ae6ba5034c.jpg88e6073efc7ea5fe5592871159136be2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • hamman said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 02:47 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Good looking Jake!

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 04:25 PM

:welcometogttalk:

looks to be in good shape, attachments are out there , mower deck is the hard one to find ( IMO ). I recently picked up a plow for one for $75 in very good shape. Check CL that's a good place to find parts , search as many areas your willing to drive to ,,or further if your willing to ship.

Not really sure how they would do pulling. 

Tom

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Nice Jake!  I see has electric pto, many had a manual lever clutch.  Think decks for those were aluminum and probly broke or didn't last as long as steel. Keep in mind Minneapolis-Moline, White and Olivers of some models were all made by Jac and same parts on many, cept the grills and hoods maybe. I see chains on this one, what were they for? A plow, tiller?  Nothing he has to have used them for?  Front snow blades come up fairly often, there are two styles, a lighter snow only one that mounts on front of chassis and a better heavy one that mounts there and has long arms to rear of tractor with main body heavier. Visit big tractor swaps and shows and look around for items. Many collectors say they have LOTs of decks, one of slower moving items of all things they have.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#5 BEN KAVALIER OFFLINE  

BEN KAVALIER

• Member No: 1415
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:18 PM

looks like a jac 1450 super chief since it has the larger gas tank and the pointless ignition system on it so should be a 14 hp kohler with a starter and not the starter generator like the 1250's normally the 1450's have a electric lift but that one has the manual looks like a good tractor. :)

• TomLGT195 and Oldford have said thanks

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:43 PM

I found this Jacobsen I believe it is a chief 1200 and I am interested in it, how hard are mower decks and other attachments to come by. And what do you all think of the tractor?? How would something like this do in a tractor pull? Thanks for looking!

Jake sold a lot of Chiefs and blue/white Fords in New England.  Unfortunately every year there are fewer for sale and i suspect they are going to scrap.  especially the aluminum decks as they are pretty heavy and metal prices are up.  decks and plow blades come up on ebay for around 150 but then need to be shipped.  Best bet is to start a small collection if you have the room for spares.  wish i would've bought up a few just for the attachments and spare parts over the past couple years, they go pretty cheap around here

IMO i wouldn't pull with them b/c they are such good work tractors and getting scarce.  The one in your pics is a belt-drive hydro and the belt tends to slip under heavy load.  69-71 fwiw  A great transaxle for working around the property, why blow it up pulling when it will just get beat by the gear drives anyway.  Just my .02 good luck

That tractor looks real good in the pics you could tape off the decals and re-spray the hood off-white it would look great

Also try to find the battery cover they are hard to come by maybe he has it in the garage somewhere good luck

Edited by Oldford, December 04, 2014 - 10:47 PM.

• TomLGT195 and dlang94 have said thanks