Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 06:33 AM

I talked with my daughter last night , she was studying for her nursing NCLEC license tests so didn't want to bother her too much about it . But I think I got  her to understand that for her to keep this great cell phone/plan she has now ,,   free for her  ,, she has to figure out what . why and how to keep that from happening again.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Al, last night I was looking at my cell account and saw an ad for their account manager app.  In addition to the normal acct. functions it also will connect to any hot wifi spot automatically.  You may want to see if your carrier or the app store carries something like this.

• Alc said thank you

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 06:31 AM

My daughter is coming home this weekend and can't be too soon. I tried telling her some things to do and watch out for from everyone's posts but it's still not helping . She texted me last night she got a warning text that she used 75% of her 6gb data for the month and it's only about  1/3 through the month !!  I just sent her a text for her and my wife to go to the Verizon store to see if they can figure it out .

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 06:48 AM

Sounds like she has a bad app. If it is an adnroid phone have her disable google now and location services.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Wow, something is running non stop.
If she is not using it, turning it off may slow the process.

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 08:52 AM

That's a HUGE amount of data for such a short time span. Even a bad ap running constantly isn't going to do that. Something else is up. Definitely have Verizon figure it out.

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 06:57 AM

We went to the  Verizon store yesterday , the fellow there tried to see if there was something he could find but nothing .She mention to him the her phone got new software in Oct so she's going to take it to the Apple store when she gets back .The other thing is when I was at my sister's (  that's where she is living while going to college ) I had a hard time watching any videos here on GTT  with my laptop .I'm wondering if my daughter starts watching a movie music ect  and it kicks off the wifi and she doesn't notice it  . TAHOE mentioned something similar happening .  We reset the data use , by the way was 900mb from going over and she going to watch it closely to see if anything strange starts using a lot data  .   On a side note maybe ,,just maybe ,,when the dumb old father tells the daughter & mother that whatever you do don't give up the unlimited data plan that you have . Even when the salesman says that 6gb 8 months ago is more then you ever need so you do  and then salesman yesterday ( now that we are there with a data complaint ) saying "  I could burn through 4gb of data in a day "   :wallbanging:   Maybe next time they will listen to my advice :wallbanging:

Edited by Alc, December 14, 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:35 AM

Nope, you still won't know anything.
Just saying.

As for vids, put the phone on airplane mode? Won't that force only wifi usage?

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:58 AM

A few other things from yesterdays visit with Verizon ,  if I'm understanding him correctly ,, if the phone is using 4G instead of 3G (whatever that is lol )  it uses more data to download the same things ( good way to help customers use data lol )  . Also on Youtube settings you can set the quality of the video , her's was set at the highest setting .  I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface too . 

Nope, you still won't know anything.
Just saying.

Yep , keep telling her about her little 1998 Saturn we bought her ,  the deal is ,,, our car, we pay all the registration , insurance , maintenance ,  as long as she's going to ,even now that she graduated as a nurse and will be working more but still taking courses to get her BS .   She's talking about buying her own car but then it  will be  HER CAR  with all the bills to go with it    she still doesn't get it :wallbanging:

• MH81 said thank you

#25 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'll just keep my old 'Dumb phone'!!!   :anvil_drop:

:nothingtoadd:

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#26 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 11:49 AM

As for vids, put the phone on airplane mode? Won't that force only wifi usage?

I'm not 100% sure about IOS, but on Android phones you could simply turn off mobile data in the settings.
  • Alc said thank you

#27 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 04:43 AM

#1 complaint for apple is data usage. When watching video on my Android rig it will chew up the data!! Sooo no YouTube unless I'm on WiFi. My wife was cooking our data hard core , as she has an app for studying for the same thing as your daughter, Al , and I had to remind her to only use it on WiFi. All is good now, I only have a 2 GB plan from Verizon too.
  • Alc said thank you

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Just a little up-date , my daughter went over again for the third month in a row , but we found on the Verizon  web site her data usage from Jan 25-28 th ,  for just 3 days she burned through   .482 GB  of data !!!!   Then found a page that showed the different times ,   2 times on at 3:10 am and 9:30 pm she use over .2 on each . She said she was on wifi but like you members have said it must have went back to cell data use . I told her that she needs to shut off phone data off while she doing what ever she doing at my sister house and see if that will stop the excessive data use. On a brighter note the phone bill was a little cheaper $228 while our total electric home was $3 dollars more for the month ( $231 ) lol

• MH81 said thank you

#29 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 11:11 AM

Al, I don't know about the Iphone but my android tell me what I'm using in the top bar.  If I'm on cell data it shows 3G and Wifi it show and up and down arrow.  It sounds like the Wifi signal may be weak or flaky.   I can also set my phone to stop using cell data when it reaches a certain amount.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#30 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted January 29, 2015 - 01:58 PM

Just skimmed really quick but if she does have an iPhone and automatic app updates are on, whenever there is an iOS update (like from iOS7 to iOS8, etc) the app store gets filled with updated apps "optimized" for the new iOS.  Could it be that the apps are updating on their own?  If she has a bunch, then they could pile up pretty quickly especially with a big iOS update.

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks