Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 06:36 AM

We had gotten our daughter a iphone when she went to college , 3 years now .She's the only one on our plan with one . She has Verizon with 6 GB of data a month . A few weeks ago we got a email alert that she used 75% of the data , not bad because we had only a few days left on the month . The next day we get another that she was over . My wife called Verizon  and said she must have been downloading something and it didn't shut off . We got last months bill and it's $45 for the extra data use . Is this a common thing ? And  what can I tell my daughter to look for when this is happening ? 

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,887 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 06:57 AM

Her phone should have usage manager app on it.
  • Alc said thank you

#3 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:17 AM

I get messages from verizon like that near the end of every month but when my wife called them to check it out they said we were not near the limit and they didn't know why we get the messages. Just figured I share that with you.
Tom
  • Alc said thank you

#4 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Settings->cellular->usage

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:36 AM

As mentioned above, there should be a manager. Set it to cap at 75% of her plan.
Also, powering down periodically is a good idea.

We have 4 data users on 10gigs. We've not gone over yet and everyone uses their phones a lot.
I have mine capped at 2 gigs and have never come close to that. That includes a lot of my daytime check-ins here.

I would take it in to the Verizon store and ask them to help you set it all up and show you how.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 08:19 AM

according to my daughters, shutting the apps off when you are done using them is a big thing.  Also, using wifi when available helps a lot too.  We have 4 users on 10 gigs and I think we used about 8 or 9 percent of that in November between the 4 of us and my daughters live in their iphones.  I use mine a lot more than I thought I would but I'm usually on the wifi.  If she has wifi in the dorm, she should turn the wifi on her phone on and that would help a lot.

Now the question is, does she know how to actually turn the app off?  Most of the younger people do but you never know.  Turn the screen off too.  Everything on these hand held mortgages uses data unless you are diligent about shutting things off.

Edited by David Brown, December 04, 2014 - 08:22 AM.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 08:27 AM

As mentioned above, there should be a manager. Set it to cap at 75% of her plan.
Also, powering down periodically is a good idea.

We have 4 data users on 10gigs. We've not gone over yet and everyone uses their phones a lot.
I have mine capped at 2 gigs and have never come close to that. That includes a lot of my daytime check-ins here.

Yea, us too. My son got a new smart phone in late August. Then in Sept, we got billed an extra $45 ( 15 per gig) of data overage. He was using his new phone to watch videos and catch up on the Walking dead series, but he was in an area of the house that his wifi would kick out for 10 mins or so. Told him next, time he will pony up the $45.

We normally only use 7-8 gigs for the month between the 4 of us, that was just a bad month for him. My wife can go online and if we get near 90-95%, she shuts down everyones data, just missed it that month.

• Alc said thank you

#8 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 08:51 AM

They have a warning apps that you set before it hits or goes over the limit and it sends you a text. I had to pay one time (my fault for not thinking) where I sent a lot of pictures of the rental house we have before the new tenant moved in.

• Alc said thank you

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:32 AM

The other thing to watch too is if she does a lot of facebook they started doing that auto video playing and it has caused a lot of troubles with data usage on cell phones.

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Our granddaughter is in college and her data usage has actually gone down because they have wifi over the entire campus. She has 2 GB and barely uses 1 and she is on her phone contently.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the help ,  I will talk to her about those suggestions mentioned . Might be easier to have her read this thread , she can even use her phone lol

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the help ,  I will talk to her about those suggestions mentioned . Might be easier to have her read this thread , she can even use her phone lol

Good idea Al.  There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here.  I have Verizon as a carrier and they sent me texts when I was nearing my text limit.  ( I haven't ever come near to the data limit)

Good luck.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 01:30 PM

Watching movies or streaming music with out a WIFI connection will burn it up. If you are with Verizon
they have a great app (MYVERIZON) that makes it very easy to track your usage. You need to add that to
your phone. good luck
JACK..
  • Alc said thank you

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 02:30 PM

I'm really new to the smartphone world, but as previously said I have my android phone set to old dl data up to my limit and have a warning about 75%.  I would think the Iphone would have something similar.

• Alc said thank you

#15 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,057 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 04:07 PM

You guys are lucky,I got a bill for over $300 one month for my son and his girl friends phone ,I almost had the big one.Turns out he was watching movies and utube crap.Some of it was for the phone payments.Got them the phones when they went to collage,told him more school work and turn off the d*m phone.I should be happy cus he don't drink or hang around the frat house partys.

• Alc said thank you