13 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hi Guys,

I was reading through the sticky in the Economy section of GTTalk and read through a number of great info/history articles that "David Brown" had written a few years ago and that then "Ryan313" had compiled - lots of good info! Thank you guys for doing that!

Over the last couple of years, I have really been bitten hard by the "EPCO Bug" and being located here in SE Wisconsin, not far from the original Economy factory in Waukesha and minutes from the Red E facility in Richfield has made my recent obsession even more fun being so local.

I love research and every tractor I run across turns into a new "CSI Murder Mystery" for me that I enjoy trying to solve and with respect to EPCO tractors, there are just so many unanswered/undocumented questions that may never be solved, which is a big part of what's kept me interested.

Anyway, through my research, learning and observation over the past few years, I have collected more info pertaining to a a couple of the articles in the "sticky" thread that I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested. My interest/research has been primarily been in regards to the early (pre 1963) tractors. Moderators, if you would, feel free to add this to the existing Economy/Power King Tractor History and Information sticky thread. This thread that I'm starting, includes additional info I've pieced together with respect to the National Farm Equipment Co branded tractors.

There isn't a lot of information I've been able to find pertaining to the re-badged National tractors. So far, I've only heard of/seen one, which another forum member owns. Since it's not my tractor, I won't add pictures, but you can find pictures of it on this forum.

National Farm Equipment was a mail order company based out of New York who was in business for many years (1940's I believe through the late 70's from what I've been able to find). Through their catalog, they sold EVERYTHING imaginable that one could use on their farm; even things farmers probably didn't even need...from tractors to pet monkey's (yes...real monkeys that they'd ship you.)

Learning about the only National (EPCO) tractor I know of, this tractor was built in 1956 and like the other re-badged tractors, has a ID Tag with the serial # in the same sequence as the rest of the EPCO tractors, but with the "National Farm Equipment Co" name. Over the past year, I've been watching eBay for their catalogs and now have a catalog from 1950, 1956 and 1963. The 1950 catalog doesn't offer an EPCO tractor, however the 1956 catalog does.

They offered what they called a "Farm King" tractor, which appears to be a re-badged Power King of that era. Unlike the Economy's of that era though, the options were limited to:

-Briggs 23 Engine (no Wisconsin AEN option)

-16" rear wheels & 12" front wheels

-Fenders and Hood 

-Variety of attachments

The same add also appears in the 1963 catalog, so I can confidently assume that these re-badged Economy's were available from National from as early as 1956 to as late as 1963. My guess though is that 1963 would have been the last year as this was the last year of this style of tractor.

What I do find interesting though, is the 1963 catalog also offers the Jim Dandy, however unlike the "Farm King" model, National didn't seem to re-brand the Jim Dandy as they refer to it as a Jim Dandy and you can even make out the Economy logo on the grill in the picture. 

NationalAd3_zps8bc771b3.jpg

NationalAd1_zpsc993c28d.jpg

NationalAd2_zps0fcdcef5.jpg

NationalAd4_zps2cf903bc.jpg

I hope this sheds a little more light on the National Farm Equipment Co and the Economy tractors that they re-badged. If anyone has any additional info on them or knows of one, I'd love to know more. 

I'll be happy to write more info threads if anyone is interested in this kind of "useless info" that I've learned and really enjoy. 

Thanks, Rob

Edited by oldiron1, December 03, 2014 - 11:46 PM.

• bread320i, Bud, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:47 AM

Thanks Rob,Did they flip that first picture.It shows a right hand steer or did economy make a right hand steer for them?Don't know alot about the older Economy but the ones I have seen are left hand steer.I will have to start looking at them more.Maybe I learned something new today.

• Alc said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 05:30 AM

Great information, thank you.  Research is an absolute necessity in this hobby.  Thank you fer diving into one of the more elusive rebadged brands and sharing.  Research like this keeps these off beat brands alive.

To answer Bill's question, no, they did not make a right hand drive tractor but they have been known to publish flip images here and there whether they realized it or not.  It can crack your noodle if you see one and even notice it.

• Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Rob thanks  for this info !!!  I enjoy seeing history like this .

#5 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Rob,

Thanks for doing this.

So, are you on the hunt for a National?

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, December 04, 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:50 AM

The more you know about these tractors,the less you realize that you know about them.

• David Brown, oldiron1 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:57 AM

The more you know about these tractors,the less you realize that you know about them.

Amen to that!  No truer words have ever been spoken.

#8 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Rob,
Thanks for doing this.
So, are you on the hunt for a National?
Chuck

Hi Chuck, you're welcome. I realize there isn't alot of info on these tractors and want to share the little bit that I have found in effort of expanding on what was already here.

Yes, I'd love to have a National branded tractor but no hurry as I really should the a break in addition g tractors for a while now. Looking for one is actually how I found my recent 49 Deluxe. ..it's the fun of the hunt that I enjoy!

Rob

#9 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:32 AM

This one and 3 others is up for sale by me in NY  I'm interested in the one with the sicklebar

national 2.jpg

national.jpg

• EconChuck and oldiron1 have said thanks

#10 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:42 AM

Rob,

I see a trip to NY for you and Adam.

Chuck

#11 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Rob,
I see a trip to NY for you and Adam.
Chuck

Me too! Just when I said I'm done adding tractors for a while... :)

#12 mlevan OFFLINE  

mlevan
  • Member No: 61983
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Hello, I'm looking for a 1963 Jim Dandy catalog like I see you have on here.I need to get a good pic of the front of the hood to get a decal made.

Thank you,M.Levan

• KennyP said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:13 AM

Hello, I'm looking for a 1963 Jim Dandy catalog like I see you have on here.I need to get a good pic of the front of the hood to get a decal made.

Thank you,M.Levan

Is the decal what is on the first page of this brochure?

• mlevan said thank you

#14 mlevan OFFLINE  

mlevan
  • Member No: 61983
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 09:12 AM

That's it .I have that brochure,but I've misplaced it. My father in law bought this tractor brand new and I'm restoreing it now.The decal on the hood front is unreadable.Auto Trim Design in Muncy,Pa. is going to make me a decal,but they need a pic.I thought that brochure had a pic of the decal.

Thank you M. Levan

• KennyP said thank you