20 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Anyone else watching american pickers tonight. Frank just bought a wheel horse 733 ( I believe) for 400 dollars. And he will ask 600. This seems like an extremely high price.
  • Alc, Arti, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 09:58 PM

I seen it too. This seller is tougher than nails to deal with. I hate it when they pan the cameras around & never show the tractors people have.
  • HANKG, cootertom and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Look at it this way, The Wheel Horse guys just got a increase on the price of the tractors they own but to the bad of the flip side of it then everybody that has one now thinks it is worth a lot more than it really is.  

• MH81, Alc, tractorgarden and 8 others have said thanks

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 10:49 PM

I am sorry but that show  and the two of them going around "buying things" at low prices and "selling" them for a profit is just  so wrong and misleading. and like cootertom said" everybody that has  one now thinks it is worth a lot more than it really is"

• MH81, Alc, Justin2655 and 6 others have said thanks

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 05:43 AM

I have been waiting for this for awhile, I buy and sell allot to keep a little extra $$ in my pocket and ever since those two idiots have been on tv it has become impossible to do that.  everyone assumes that if the pickers paid $400 for it then it has got to be worth $400.  I hate that tv show!!!!!!! Most of what they buy they over pay for and then they charge double what it is really worth.  now they are buying gt's ??  we are all in a heap of trouble now.

• Gtractor, Alc, Brando and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Those guys are like having a televised version of the "Whats it worth" threads

Anyone else wonder why he was making such a fuss about it not having a belt :wtf:

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Justin2655 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 06:03 AM

American pickers how is buy for 400 ask 600.   Alot of time i highly doubt they sell there stuff.  but look for and increase in gts now thanks alot american pickers

• olcowhand, cootertom, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#8 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:30 AM

I wonder what Mr. Ed would have to say about that.

#9 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,878 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:37 AM

That Frank is a little sniveling chiseling P...k  Oh yea I don't like to make false accusations I've seen Mike Wulf step up to the plate when a seller was leaving a lot of money on the table and say I'll give you 250.00 instead of 50.00 I never saw frank do that oh no he's to busy thinking how he can bundle and really screw the guy. I loved it when he got that Lionel  train stuck up his tunnel laughed it up on that one and the car's ha ha ha ha ha.

Edited by HANKG, December 04, 2014 - 03:31 PM.

• Bolens 1000, GTTinkerer, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:43 AM

American Restoration did a DB a couple of years ago. The prices, like the shows, are fiction. CL is loaded with dreamers that want very high prices for their treasures. Let then keep them. Only pay what its worth to you.

The other side of the coin is the ones that think you should give them a big discount so that they can resell for a big profit. I just laugh at them. They think that everybody else should be working to make them rich. Good Luck, Rick

• Brando, HANKG and cootertom have said thanks

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 08:04 AM

Common...quit with the negative hype.  I find the show extremely interesting, and never miss it.  Sounds like quite a few of the nay-sayers here watch it regularly too.  hmmm...

It's TV, so you have to watch it for what it is...entertainment.  Don't get your panties in a bunch...there are literally 10's of thousands of old GT's laying all over this country, and most are probably worth so little to their owners or inheritors, that they end up getting scrapped.  Lots to go around, and better-than-reasonable prices for us.  I highly doubt every old man with a GT that hasn't ran in 10 years watched and was influenced by the airing of that few minutes of negotiation.  I think $400 was too much for the tractor, but certainly not out of this world, and there are overvalued GT's selling every single day...sometimes to those of us here.

I've been to their shop in Iowa, and it's as legit as it gets...sure the show has boosted their streetside business incredibly, but they are just like any other antique shop, found almost everywhere.  High priced (IMO), and waiting for the right buyer for each item.  When they aren't working with the camera crew, they are normal, everyday folks with a small business.  They certainly profit from their work.  I think most of the stuff they drag home is pretty damn neat.  It's always a bummer when the Negative Nancy's come out to gripe about any old thing...sounds like envy.

• grnspot110, GTTinkerer, Delmar and 5 others have said thanks

#12 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Made for T.V.

If I was paid (when it started) $22,000 per episode then I could paid silly money for items. I've bought and sold since 1973 and they have been the worst thing that has happened for buying and selling. Had a friend that went by the place and said it was very small and super high on prices. I'll look for the pictures he sent me. They were closed and he didn't get to go inside but took pictures outside.

• Gtractor and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#13 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,878 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 09:07 AM

I agree with boyscout  I don't care what you ask for something that belongs to you its CAPITOLISM at its finest if you as a buyer don't like the price don't buy it. And if you  want it bad enough you'll buy it  or wait for a better deal. If I buy a GT and restore it should I only ask for the money I put into it, is my labor and time not worth money? I have bought GTs for $300.00 $400. fixed them up painted them and have gotten $900 each for them the buyer was happy with the deal he WANTED THEM and ironicly they were wheelhorse's  a '58 and a 61. PS I still don't like Frankie

• GTTinkerer, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#14 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm envious of the American Picker's and will be the first to admit it.

They've made a living (and with the revenue of the History Channel, a VERY good living) doing what most of us love to do and could only wish we could do for a living.

I don't always agree with what they value certain items at, but then again, I probably don't agree with what many buyers and sellers value their items at; on TV or at a swap meet down the road. At the end of the day, who really cares? They've exposed many more individuals to the hobby of "picking" and if our hobby becomes bigger because of that; I view that as a good thing.

I'm 31 years old and many of my friends are twice my age and older. I look up to my elders and respect their knowledge and experience that they have, and at the same time, really hope that by the time I'm in my 60's and my 3 year old daughter is in my shoes, that this hobby still exists but I believe shows like American Pickers really help it to sustain by attracting others (many of them younger), and keeping it growing. 

My humble 2 cents worth...Rob

Edited by oldiron1, December 10, 2014 - 12:13 PM.

• GTTinkerer, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 09:52 PM

I still like the show, good entertainment. I don't care for Frankie either.
  • GTTinkerer and GTpicker01 have said thanks