• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Tonights American Pickers Frank bought a Wheel Horse tractor. I have watched this show since it started. I have always seen tractors on here but their never featured.
  • Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 06:46 AM

I watched it too . I was thinking of that fellow who wouldn't  budge on his prices .  At 88 years old he might not be around the next time someone is standing there with a fistful of cash . More then likely  it will be some auctioneer selling off the good stuff when he's dead  but most of that stuff will be at scrap prices .

• GTTinkerer and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Haven't watched it yet but I'm shocked! They NEVER show even the slightest interest in GTs. Guess they already know there's no money to be made there...

I passed them back in August or September. I'm not sure if they were shooting for the show at the time as I didn't see anything following them that looked like it might be a production crew. I assume there would have to be a van with people, camera equipment, sound equipment, lighting, etc. Anyway, there may or may not be some Pennsylvania episodes coming up. I notice they've been in Ben's neck of the woods this season.
  • Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Being it was "restored" I didn't think they did too bad on the price. The old guy seemed to know how to repair and rebuild stuff as he had a lot of cool stuff there. It was positive for the gt guys for sure in my opinion.
  • GTTinkerer, Talntedmrgreen and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:01 AM

At 88 years old he should be taking cash on a lot of things but I guess we all like to keep our valuables.  :D

I agree with Brian on this one I thought they got a good deal on a restore. The camera's view didn't do it any justice because of the angles & it still had the ole familiar barn dust on it. This may show up on their website for sale as most of their items do.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:09 AM

On the "Red Square" site, a member, 'Lane Ranger' was asked to provide some pictures and background information on Wheel Horses for this show a few months ago, via 'Pickers' production office in New York.  

Here's a thread on this (some older video clips in there, and then his pictures on entry #49),   very interesting, looks like 'Doug' had 6 or 7 Wheel Horses and I think I saw a Cub in there too.

http://www.wheelhors...ge-match/page-2

Edited by GlenPettit, December 04, 2014 - 11:10 AM.

• Talntedmrgreen, Sawdust, GTpicker01 and 1 other said thanks

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:15 PM

I saw it too.  We watch it regularly, first time I've even seen them show any interest in garden tractors!

The thing is about the old man selling it, if he didn't need the money & enjoys his "stuff", why sell it!  His kids (or who-ever) will just spend the money anyway!

• Gtractor and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,067 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:19 PM

You guys know this show is all rigged and fake right?

The "negotiating" is scripted.  People go there, pick out the items they are going to "buy" and then tell the owner the "script" and if they want to sell it or not.

• Gtractor and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#9 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:50 PM

You guys know this show is all rigged and fake right?

The "negotiating" is scripted.  People go there, pick out the items they are going to "buy" and then tell the owner the "script" and if they want to sell it or not.

I dont know that it is or not, or to what degree it may be. Sounds like you do...can you share your definitive source?
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Yes, tell us how you know this.  It will ruin my enjoyment of the show, but tell us how you know this please.

• GTTinkerer and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,067 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 01:07 PM

I dont know that it is or not, or to what degree it may be. Sounds like you do...can you share your definitive source?

Two friends of mine from the minibike world have been approached by "auction hunters" and "American pickers"

If you go back and find the show of storage wars where Ton and the other guy buy a bonanza mini bike.  Ton tells the other guy we need to go see my friend evil ed, he knows all about these bikes!  It was all staged.  They were told what to be doing when the guys "showed up".  Ed was not interested in the bike, but they talked his buddy into "buying the bike"  and they staged the negations.  He said everything from beginning to end was basically scripted.  There was no truth to show at all.  I know Ed personally.  Not just a guy behind a computer screen.  He makes the journey from SoCal to Winber PA just about every year for the mini bike reunion.

Another guy from the minibike world is a large collector or many things.  He had ads on the internet advertising all kinds of stuff for sale.  They(History channel, American Pickers) contacted him and asked if he would be interested in being featured on the show.  The explained the process and what was involved.  He turned it down. 

http://www.westcoast...rs-is-fake.html

A quick google search produced that webpage.  But like anything else, if it's on the internet, it doesn't make it true.  I however believe it.

Sorry to spoil anyones fun, but I loved this show and the others like it until I seen it.

I've also been to the Pawnstars shop in Vegas.  The pawn shop is there, but its the same deal as the others.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 04, 2014 - 01:16 PM.

• daytime dave, Coventry Plumber and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,573 Thanks
  • 3,896 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 01:13 PM

There is a thread over on Smokstak about how the Pickers operate.  Mike and Frank don't drive all over the country in the white van looking for stuff. 

There are people who go ahead of them to find, and purchase items.  Then Mike and Frank are flown in along with camera crew. "Negotations" are done in front of the camera on items already purchased before their arrival. 

C'mon folks, this is TV.

I occasionally watch and enjoy the show but every TV show has a script.

I haven't been to their shop in Iowa but a local that has told me first hand that very few of the items from the show in their store are for sale.  Mostly what was for sale was trinket style stuff.  T-shirts, mugs, etc.  Again,  I haven't been there myself.

Edited by Gtractor, December 04, 2014 - 01:19 PM.

• daytime dave, toomanytoys84, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 01:16 PM

From the little I know about television and films, that sounds on the mark.  

Oh well, now I can miss an episode and not feel bad.  More time to watch Walking Dead.  At least I know that's all fiction..................................................................right?

• Gtractor, Sawdust, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 02:13 PM

I just read that story about the show being fake and while I have no idea how much is scripted I can confirm that they do indeed drive around in the van. The story states that never happens unless it's being filmed. As I mentioned earlier, I passed them a few months ago on my way to my work's shop. You could clearly see Mike and Frank and there was no filming going on and no production crews anywhere in the area.
A member at MTF had contacted them and was on the list to be paid a visit. I lost track over there but I wonder what ever happened with that deal. He would have been able to give some input.
  • Gtractor and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,573 Thanks
  • 3,896 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 02:49 PM

They could drive from the nearest major airport to the sellers place.  That'd give the producers more than enough "driving" content.

Plus they have to be moving down the road when Danielle calls for it to look correct.  I'm sure they drive some,  but doubt they trekk to Califunny or New Yuck State on a regular basis. 

Again,  I enjoy the show as much as anyone.  Just remember things aren't always as they seem. 

OH!  and the TV cameras mounted near the windshield are smaller than a pack of cigarettes.  The days of the huge tripod mounted behemoths are long gone.  They could very well have been filming as you went by. 

• Sawdust and Coventry Plumber have said thanks