• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:24 PM

We need to organize and go through all the parts we have. There is a lot of stuff that wouldn't ever be worth anything or a piece that never gets worn out. I like the idea of the spreadsheet to keep track of the parts that you do have and want to keep organized. The shelf numbering system sounds like a good idea also. We used the number and letter system when I used to do assembly work on big machines. We have a couple engines that we need to get pics of and post to figure out what they are and if they are worth keeping or not. I think I know what two of them are but the other ones I have no idea.

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Right, I wish I had parts to organize. Either I use em or they are junk. So I guess my parts are pretty organized, the good ones are on my tractors and the bad ones are in the trash.:toilethead:

That sounds like me LOL! I do have a very small stash of new parts, but they fit into a shoebox sized tray, so it's no big deal. I buy them when they break! I would love to some day have the problem of not knowing where to put it all, well with parts anyway LOL!

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:12 PM

My boss was cleaning up around the shop & decided to get rid of a bunch of stuff. In the boxes were thousands of crimp connectors. All kinds of eyes, hooks, bullets, etc. My daughter & I spent a couple hours sorting the bags, then putting them into some old small drawers. That's 1 job off the list.

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 07:40 PM

When I do clean the work bench and put things in order , I use clear plastic shoe boxes with snap on lids .They stack easily on the shelf .

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 08:16 PM

got around 60 parts added to the spread sheet

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 01, 2011 - 08:53 PM

Parts Organized? Isnt that an oxymoron?

I used to be a hoarder of sorts, "oh i might need that one day so lets keep it". After about the 4th move I decided that enough was enough. Now if its something I havent seen in a year or so and i find it, I get rid of it. It wasnt as important as I thought it would be. I also figured out that by the time I hunted down that one bolt i put up, I could have went to the store and bought one faster than finding the old one.

So no i aint organized.

#22 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 08:16 AM

My boss was cleaning up around the shop & decided to get rid of a bunch of stuff. In the boxes were thousands of crimp connectors. All kinds of eyes, hooks, bullets, etc. My daughter & I spent a couple hours sorting the bags, then putting them into some old small drawers. That's 1 job off the list.

Now THAT is a score and a half!

#23 QAW13310 OFFLINE  

QAW13310

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2228
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 11:44 PM

Sad to say, the house is kept very well organized by a wonderful woman. And, I can never find anything. The garage looks like a mess to an untrained eye, but it's very organized. A few weeks ago, I sold a small sand blasting pressure tank. The gentleman who bought it saw my Panzer mowing decks hanging on the wall. Long story short, he said he picked up a nice Bolens G10 with no motor. He had a motor to put on it, but was missing the pulley. I reached on the back of a shelf, pulled out a G10 crank pulley with set screws, and said here you go! Organization is in the eye of the beholder!

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 04, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Sad to say, the house is kept very well organized by a wonderful woman. And, I can never find anything.

Ain't that the truth :thumbs:

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 04, 2011 - 05:12 AM

Speaking of organizing parts, anyone know where to get nice nut and bolt bins for a decent price? I checked ebay, harbor freight and a couple of other online places. The nice ones are super expensive and basically make it not worth doing. There are some that can be had for $150 or less but they don't look like they would be very strong.

Would be great to be able to mount it on the wall with slide out trays or trays that hang and can just be taken off the rack. We only want to be able to sort 1/4" x 1/2" -> 3" bolts, nuts and washers up to 1/2" x 3". Right now we are using the tractor supply bags we got the bolts in and it is getting to the point it sucks trying to find anything.

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 04, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Speaking of organizing parts, anyone know where to get nice nut and bolt bins for a decent price? I checked ebay, harbor freight and a couple of other online places. The nice ones are super expensive and basically make it not worth doing. There are some that can be had for $150 or less but they don't look like they would be very strong.

Would be great to be able to mount it on the wall with slide out trays or trays that hang and can just be taken off the rack. We only want to be able to sort 1/4" x 1/2" -> 3" bolts, nuts and washers up to 1/2" x 3". Right now we are using the tractor supply bags we got the bolts in and it is getting to the point it sucks trying to find anything.

Check the Northern Tool web site, I was in the Des Moines Store last week and almost walked out with a nice rack of organizers seems like it was about 2'X3' with nice plastic trays.
Though I don't even remeber the price I thought it was reasonable(the one I looked at was under $100).

Here is a link, and if you type Bolt Bins in the search screen there is 49 pages of bolt bins. so you should find something there. Northern Tool is my go to place for many ag and shop related items.
http://www.northerntool.com/

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 04, 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#27 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:36 AM

just went through most of my parts I have for bolens, lawn boys etc and labeled everything and put stuff in zip lock bags too. Then I put them in boxes and stored them away for now....Upon doing this I found some 1 pulley and 2 pulley pto's for some bolens I forgot about LOL, It actually fun looking through stuff I had and it made me happy to find stuff i had forgot about

#28 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• Member No: 2212
  • 70 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:47 PM

I have been using these lunch meat containers, they are stackable and I write on the side whats inside. We usually go thru 3-4 week and I keep them for small parts, elec conectors, fuses, gaskets, carb kits, spark plugs, staples, etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• lmcont.jpg

#29 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 08, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to GTtalk JD212.

Now, that I have three projects going on at the same time (STX38, 314 and 214) I am finding I need to figure something out. It isn't that I have too many parts, but with everything apart I am getting things mixed up. I think I need an office cubical for each tractor.