• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brokenflutes OFFLINE  

brokenflutes
  • Member No: 61057
  • 22 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Well guys my old Suburban 12 has always turned over slow when I try to start it.  I would have to hold the key for a minute before it would kick off.  Getting good gas and spark but now it will not start at all.  Removed the belt from the starter/generator and it spins pretty good but is it possible the drag on the starter when engaged might mean a rebuild is required?  Stuck in the middle and noy sure which way to turn.  Any advice?

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:11 AM

You stated that it has always turned over slow.  That tells me it is probably not the battery itself or the post connections.  My first guess would be the starter needs new bushings/bearings.  I don't know what motor your referring to, but on a Kohler I have in a Ford I have the same problem.  It turns slower than it should and drags the battery down fairly fast.  Starter alone turns OK but not great.  Going to have it rebuilt and see what that does.

If your battery is fully charged and you have a booster pack, hook the booster pack direct to the starter and use the two together to turn it over.  Will get you going for a while anyway.  Temporary fix.

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 12:21 PM

Getting good gas and spark but now it will not start at all.

So are you saying it will not turn over now or is it turning over but not starting? kind of two seprate issues, just trying to get clarification.

Well guys my old Suburban 12 has always turned over slow when I try to start it. I would have to hold the key for a minute before it would kick off....... Removed the belt from the starter/generator and it spins pretty good but is it possible the drag on the starter when engaged might mean a rebuild is required? Stuck in the middle and noy sure which way to turn. Any advice?

Spinning over slowly is either a weak battery or the starter is needing rebuilt and/or bad connections. I agree with Chief, make sure you got a good battery and even it you can add jumpers from truck/car or battery box to make sure you have plenty of juice. Also check all connections from battery/switch /solenoid.
If it is still slow, then the starter is probably needing rebuilt. It can spin freely, but that doesn't mean the brushes or armature isn't done for.

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,632 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 01:22 PM

Take the spark plug out and it will spin over fine.   :smilewink:

On a more serious note. 

Check that your valve clearance is correct to make sure your ACR is working.  Those old starter generator combo's have just about all they can do turning over a 12 horse engine anyhow so everything has to be just right.

Open up the starter.  If it needs new brushes that would likely be your problem, but you still need to open it up every 40 years or so to clean the commutator bars and grease the bushings.  :rolling:    :wave:

Best of luck and let us know what you find

Edited by Gtractor, December 02, 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 01:47 PM

Too short/ wrong drive belt or clutch adjustment can cause the same thing. Pop the belt off and see if that helps, although it could have worn out the starter already.

#6 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 04:13 PM

I have had Kohlers with a bad automatic compression release mechanism and it was a nightmare, almost no amount of voltage will turn them over.  Like Gtractor said prior, try to see if your motor has that and eliminate it as a cause.  I think on most engines it just holds an exhaust valve open until it reaches 5 or 6 hundred rpms to release compression.  If you pull the spark plug, how does it turn over?

#7 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Check your ground wires for corrosion. I have had this problem before with other starters and it oftentimes is corrosion on the wire terminals causing too much resistance and voltage drop. Give those a look while you're diagnosing.