Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 10:10 PM

Other than backing up all your files (4 DVD) worth, and locating all the original software for the Printers WiFi, Banking, and MS Office to name a few. Then the other files such as Java, Ifranview, Divix, Adobe, etc  Then be prepared to leave the PC on for a few days to download and install all the updates. This screen was after getting the first round of updates including Service Pack 1 installed over the weekend. I still think there are more out there that I missed.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1110400.JPG
  • P1110403.JPG

• NUTNDUN, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Been there and worn that T-shirt. Probably one of the most boring things a man can experience. You can set there for a long time and do nothing but leave for a few seconds and the computer will need your OK for the next step so your stuck there.  :mad2:

Edited by Cvans, December 01, 2014 - 10:19 PM.

• NUTNDUN, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 10:41 PM

And really takes away quality (working on tractor time). looks like I'm back up. The reason for the re-install is I couldn't get the wireless to work consistently and it was taking forever to boot up. I was resorting to using my laptop more and more. My Son recommended the re-doo. At least I have everything located, and backed up. 

• NUTNDUN, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 04:33 AM

A machine with a fresh OS install always runs nicer too. I hate reloading them as well. I also agree that all of the windows updates are the worse.

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:22 AM

I got smart with this new machine. It has Win 8.1 on it now. I bought a 1TB external hard drive and backed up the whole shebang! And it is not plugged in unless I'm doing a backup. So it shouldn't get messed up and I can have it back up and running fairly quickly. Then only issues so far is with the 'new' installation of FF and Pale Moon, I did not set the browsers to dump all cookies when I shut them down. This was causing my 'bar' issues here. Got that fixed and things are looking good again!

I also got a large list of cookies to block going.

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 07:35 AM

When I need an upgrade my tech man will get the machine for a few days and I will operate off my laptop.  Lot easier on the stress level to pay him than to do it myself.  Still have Win XP Pro so probably not far from that time.  As long as it ain't broke - I don't fix it.

Good luck with you upgrades.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:30 AM

Couple of you talk about falling back on your laptops. We have gone to only laptops. Even the equipment in the office is running off of one. We both can set in our recliners and do everything with the aid of WiFi. 

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I have a hard time adjusting to the 'little screen' on mine. I'm used to my 20" diagonal on the desk top. And it's faster than the laptop.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:36 AM

I would love to be able to only use a laptop and sit in the living room but just can't. At work we use a dual 24" monitor setup for primarily CAD but it comes in so handy for everything else. I constantly get emails throughout the day so I can keep my email up on the right monitor and do everything on the left when I am not detailing. 

At home it is the same way. I have to use the desktop with dual monitors if I am doing anything with the site or working on anything. If I could make myself just relax and not need to work on anything I probably could get away with a laptop and we do have one. I don't care for the smaller screen though or Windows 8.

• Cvans said thank you

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 11:31 AM

Save your self some headaches and get cloning software. Clonzilla is a free open source option create a disk image after you have everything installed.  Then when you need to do a reinstall you simply reinstall the disk image and then all you need to do is install the updates from the time the image was created to the present.  Another thing you can do is create 2 partitions one for the OS and one for your files.  Then when you need to reinstall all you have to do is reinstall the OS.

Kenny has it right by backing up to another device and then keeping it safe.  You do have to be disciplined in backing up your date on regular bases.  Another option is to back up to a cloud storage, there are a lot of them out there that will let you have quite a bit for free and you have the added benefit of them backing up their servers as well.

Doing a reinstall of windows was the main reason I no longer work on PC's very much.  Between having the pop up asking for permission, as Chris mentioned, and the constant reboots and long install times it just was to much of a PITA!   I hope you have everything up and running Larry.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#11 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 11:12 PM

Thanks all! I am finally back up and all updates installed, for now. Back-up procedures will be implemented as storage becomes available. 

#12 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Couple of you talk about falling back on your laptops. We have gone to only laptops. Even the equipment in the office is running off of one. We both can set in our recliners and do everything with the aid of WiFi.

We also only use laptops. This one is a 17" to ease the squint. Keep backups on external hard drives and it is much easier to recover from a failure.

Geno
  • Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#13 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 01:10 PM

I have been working on a 17" Toshiba laptop for my mom.  Swapped out the original hard drive for a 120GB SSD and have made 5 attempts to install windows (both cloning the install from the old drive) and starting fresh.  Sp1 update failed on this machine 3 times, and windows update will not work. Walked away and tried several different approaches - all ended up the same way.  Downloaded Mint 17 and installed it without hitch last night so I know the problem is with Win7.  I have never had so many problems with a Windows7 install. 

• Cvans said thank you