#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:51 AM

I can understand your concerns about a mouse dying a slow death but you ever watch a cat kill a mouse. Now that's a nasty death.  Hantavirus  is a lousy way to die also. 

I didn't realize until a few years ago that mice don't relieve themselves when their bladder becomes full. They dribble all the time leaving a trail every where they go. One of the USDA inspectors in our facility told me this. After paying attention to their runs this seems to be true. 

Edited by Cvans, December 02, 2014 - 09:53 PM.

• Gtractor, MFDAC, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#17 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 12:46 PM

MFDAC ,

I've found moth balls work great and mice supposedly hate the smell . 

I put a few in the drawers of my tool box , ( they were trying to nest in them over the  winter ) and haven't had a problem since .

They would also nest in my mowing tractor inside the engine tin whenever the tractors sat for any length of time  , but I put a few of the moth balls on top of the engine around the carb and it kept them out .

In the confines of a small shed I'm sure the smell would probably keep them out .

• Cvans, MFDAC and Jack have said thanks

#18 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 01:06 PM

MFDAC ,

I've found moth balls work great and mice supposedly hate the smell . 

I put a few in the drawers of my tool box , ( they were trying to nest in them over the  winter ) and haven't had a problem since .

They would also nest in my mowing tractor inside the engine tin whenever the tractors sat for any length of time  , but I put a few of the moth balls on top of the engine around the carb and it kept them out .

In the confines of a small shed I'm sure the smell would probably keep them out .

Yep, that's what I have been doing as well.

#19 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 06:32 PM

I might try moth balls too. I could throw a couple in each of my drawers in my misc cabinets.
  • MFDAC and Jack have said thanks

#20 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well guys I to had a critter problem in my garage.  I had one of those tiny little Haveahart traps that I tried to catch them in.  I first thought it was chipmunks.  As they were digging in the wife's flower garden.    Well all that was happening is the bait kept getting eaten and I was catching nothing.  So guess what I tried next?  Are you ready for this?  A plain old cheap spring loaded Mouse Trap.  And it worked perfectly.  Seems funny that of all the contraptions you guys are using to get rid of mice no one else is using a mouse trap? :say_what:   I just used those tiny goldfish crackers for bait and strap it to the trip lever with a little rubber band.  All I can say is it works killer!   (Pun intended)         :anvil_drop:  

Mouse --->

Edited by Jack, December 02, 2014 - 07:25 PM.

• Cvans, MFDAC and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I don't have to keep up with the bucket. I use traps in the house. I empty them daily.

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Seems funny that of all the contraptions you guys are using to get rid of mice no one else is using a mouse trap? :say_what:   

The nice thing about those contraptions, is that they are self sufficient.

The mice get pickled in the anti-freeze, and there is no need to have a

funeral every day. Just one, in the spring.

• Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#23 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for all the commentary folks! No hungry ones today but I thought they were gone before. The bait bits sat for a week untouched then suddenly they emptied out. Many times I have just relocated bullsnakes that I have found at work or even off the road,and that always helps. No chickens here so it's not a concern having a bullsnake hanging around. A couple years ago the lady that lives to the east had what we thought were 5 or 6 wild cats living under her trailer but she decided that it was time to live-trap them and take them to the county shelter. It was a huge suprise that she managed to trap 23 cats in a matter of days. The signs of mice in the back yard have been steadily increasing since but fortunately, none in the shop or the house yet. I'm just trying to control what is possible before they move in elsewhere.

Yeah the normal old mousetrap is great, and back in the 80's we even got two at a time in one trap a couple times. I leave for work well before sunup and don't get home until after dark, so it is an effort to not have to maintain them daily. I agree that it could be considered inhumane but has anyone ever used one of those glue traps? Now there is some lingering torchor (sp) and maybe not death. When we got our brand new double wide in 2006 almost right away we noticed mouse droppings under the kitchen sink. We got some of the glue traps and put under there, then I forgot about as fast as they were put in. Our daughters house cat started acting strange in the kitchen for several days then I remembered the traps. We were just moving in and so much going on. Couple were dead but a couple were still alive with their snouts stuck in the glue, no telling how long, up to 3 or 4 days at best estimate.

The part that really sucked was I had to finish them off. Much as I hate mice, that kinda bugged me. No more of them traps around here. We determined they had taken residence in the sub-floor in Minnesota where the house was built.

DAC

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:59 PM

The mice get pickled in the anti-freeze, and there is no need to have a
funeral every day. Just one, in the spring.

Don't leave those pickled mice where other animals can get to them. Can make them sick or much worse.
  • IamSherwood and MFDAC have said thanks

#25 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,485 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 08:51 AM

Yep, sometimes if I put out poison pellets in a new spot, they may lay a week or so before they are touched, guess mice have to make sure its "safe" to eat them.

I had drained some oil from a motor in my back barn last winter, set the drain pan off to the side, competely forgot about it. Found a nice preserved rodent in there when I drained it months later.

• MH81, Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 10:55 AM

I had drained some oil from a motor in my back barn last winter, set the drain pan off to the side, competely forgot about it. Found a nice preserved rodent in there when I drained it months later.

Drinking Texas Tea will do that to a guy.  :smilewink:

• MH81, MFDAC and TAHOE have said thanks

#27 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 01:04 PM

I had drained some oil from a motor in my back barn last winter, set the drain pan off to the side, competely forgot about it. Found a nice preserved rodent in there when I drained it months later.

That's funny. I had the same thing happen a few years back. It was quite a surprise when I emptied the pan.

One year, I put a bunch of glue traps out in a garage I rent. When I checked them a day or two later I found all the traps had the glue surface completely lined with shredded jute padding pulled from an old carpet set on the other side of the garage. I can't imagine how long that must have taken them to do. Why didn't they just avoid running across the traps?
  • MH81, Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 01:17 PM

One year, I put a bunch of glue traps out in a garage I rent. When I checked them a day or two later I found all the traps had the glue surface completely lined with shredded jute padding pulled from an old carpet set on the other side of the garage. I can't imagine how long that must have taken them to do. Why didn't they just avoid running across the traps?

Maybe it was their way of flipping you the bird?  

Pretty funny.

• IamSherwood, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#29 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,861 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 09:53 PM

We commonly get three kinds of mice here; those cute but miserable common house mice with the big ears, white footed deer mice that may carry the hanta virus, and innocent little short tailed meadow voles. All will end up in the house if given the chance, but only the voles are worried about it--- they really don't want to be in there, and to my eyes do no damage. And yes, the other two drag their tails through their urine and establish scent trails every where they go. "Don't ask me how I know", said the woman who once lived with a hooded white rat as a pet.

• Jack and EricR have said thanks