6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Had a tube frame follow me home today and we think it is a 1050.  No motor but 2 hoods.  One hood is from a GT14.  The other hood has Bolens down both sides.  The decal on the left side that identifies the tractor has been painted over with gray spray paint.  The right panel has the decal with the patent applied for numbers and location of mfg.  Is there any way to remove the paint from the decal without destroying the decal?  Am thinking of trying some lacquer thinner on a rag to start with.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   :help:

#2 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 101 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I have use mild compound to take off spray can overspray just try a small spot first some decals more sensitive than others hope this helps
  • VintageIronCollector and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Paint thinner might do it but you have to be careful not to rub off the sticker. I would do a test spot with a Q tip.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Paint thinner might do it but you have to be careful not to rub off the sticker. I would do a test spot with a Q tip.

That is what I had in mind.  Trying a place away from the decal first and see what happens.  Probably a cheap brand of paint so hopefully it won't be bad to take off.  It has stayed on good being out of door for quite some time.  Long enough to seize the steer up.  Time for the BP Blaster again.

• superaben said thank you

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I have removed paint from decals successfully by wet sanding lightly with 2000 grit sandpaper. It takes a while to do, so be patient. Rub lightly, spray the water constantly, and you should be able to read the decal without ruining the decal finish.  

• MH81, WHdbJD, pigsitter and 2 others have said thanks

#6 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:16 AM

sometimes peanut butter,, or vegetable oil  will do the trick   or even WD40  which is fish oil..  No abrasives..Be patient,,It takes awhile. 

• chieffan said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 01:39 PM

I have worked on it some and down close to the original grey paint.  No sign of any decal, on the side panel or on the frame by the clutch/brake pedal.  Will wait till it warm up and try some of your suggestions.  Meanwhile will post some photos for you to ponder over.  (New Topic)