• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 04:05 PM

Has anyone soda washed the gt frames and if so which would be the best, soda washing or sand blasting it? I'll be carrying one in the next few days.

I've never tried soda blasting on anything other than a carb or light duty projects. I don't think it would be abrasive enough to knock down a metal frame. If you do try it let us know how it worked. :thumbs:

• Moosetales and cootertom have said thanks

#17 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I would talk to the company take a small piece to them. And a small piece to a sand blaster see what one looks better .And keep us posted with pictures your experience with it what ever one you chose. I guess a lot of us me included don't want to try things we don't know about for fear of the unknown . I myself have seen them blast paint of metal with crushed walnut shells

Edited by AfterShock95, December 01, 2014 - 05:31 PM.

• superaben and cootertom have said thanks

#18 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Tractor is coming all the way down. It's down now to taking the motor off and the rear end out and a couple of other small things to do. It's been so nice the last couple of days I've been doing outside work with the temp in the 60's. When I get it to the cleaning company I'll talk to them and see what they say. It's all they do is cleaning of metals, bricks and so on. They should know when they see it which way will work the best for the project. I'll let everyone know what they think will work best and then will take pictures when I get it back.

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:45 PM

We use soda blasting at work.

It is baking soda and it is dry. It is not as agressive as sand or slag and can easily be cleaned up after blasting.

• Sawdust and cootertom have said thanks

#20 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 09:27 PM

I know they use it on old cars when restoring them. It isn't suppose to heat the metal up as much and warp the thinner gauge.