1 reply to this topic

#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,747 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 10:04 PM

How hard is it to find a high low for a Broadmoor or b208 and b207? Thanks. I know that they do in fact exist because my uncle has one on his one Broadmoor. Thanks

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:25 AM

They are about as common/uncommon as the type for the large frame, but are much less costly, usually under a hundred bucks.  The small frames in general demand much lower prices, as do their attachments and accessories.  That's part of the reason I have found them fun to collect (and they take up less room!). 

The greatest downfall to the hilo on a small frame tractor, is that while their biggest benefit on a large frame is for tilling, on a small frame the hilo not only reduces ground speed, it reduced rear PTO output speed (it slows down your tiller or revitalizer).  They were advertised for use when snowblowing, but in my experience, those little single stage blowers need to be fed a lot to work well, and so driving slow kinda restricts their ability.
I have seen almost as many NOS small frame hilo's over the years as used ones.  I have a couple NOS now, that I plan to use to simply slow my tractors for the kiddo's some day.  I like to run faster pulley's so my tractors will run faster, or at least run as fast, at lower RPM for shows/butt-buggy work.  To counter that when my son is big enough to drive, I'll use the hilo.
You cannot install these on the earlier AC small frames (B-206, B-207, B-208) because they do not use a Simplicity transaxle, but a Peerless instead.  Also note there are a couple varieties for the Simplicity small frame tractors.  Different shifters were used on the hilo's to work with the different seat pans on early and late machines.

• VintageIronCollector said thank you