• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#32 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Where has this gone? How far is it? I just read through the whole thread and now I'm in total suspense!!

#33 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I think the cold weather put the halts to it for a while

#34 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, Ben doesn't have a heated workshop, and it's been danged cold down there.

Even colder up here  :D :D :D

#35 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Ahh, I see. I know how that is! 

I had no idea how rare the HDT 1000 is! I've heard of them, but never learned much about them. This is a very interesting thread.

#36 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 24, 2015 - 06:07 PM

looking good so farcant wait to see it complete i hope dave put up a shed to keep this and the forklift and others in

• LPBolens said thank you

#37 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:41 PM

I suppose everyone figures I fell off the face of the earth. 

For the record, I did not fall, but I nearly froze. 

The last time I had breathing space to sit down and report the doings and happenings with a Bolens HDT1000 was February.  In February, Virginia had a record cold snap.  We dipped down into the teens as a high and single digits for days.  It was absolutely miserable.

The HDT1000 sat quietly and waited.  I threw on a tarp to keep the miscellanious junk out of the holes (and off the tractor, since horizontal space collects anything in my shop) and then went inside to stay warm. 

Between then and really the last of March, I was afraid to throw paint.  About the time I would get an itch to mess with the tractor, it was either too cold or snowing. 

About that time, I remembered that I had a tractor buried in the shop.  By buried, I mean that the tractor was surrounded by boxes of stuff that had come in and I was too lazy cold to put away.  It is no fun to try to sort parts out in 16 degree weather when you are so bundled up, you turn around and sweep half the parts off your workbench and can't even feel it happen. 

So I dug out the tractor, put up my parts, and then surveyed the wreckage.

Surprisingly enough, nothing had magically been painted, or cleaned, or sandblasted.  So I had work to do.

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#38 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:49 PM

These pictures are leftovers from last fall when I had the machine up in the air with the strong help of a Gehl excavator. 

I think everyone should have an excavator to help restore tractors.  I was able to yank the transmission out with ease and then get under the tractor and paint without any pain and stress at all.

IMG_1246.JPG

This little cute spring was hanging down.  Does anyone have any idea what it might do?

IMG_1247.JPG

Looks like someone has been here before me.  A support was welded up front.  Looks like a nice clean weld, though.

IMG_1248.JPG

The steering support was due for a replacement.  However, someone had done a great job of bending the rod that holds the cylinder in place. It would not budge.  However, a little judicious torching and cutting seemed to make it change its mind.  Then it would not come out of the cylinder.  I ended up needing a hefty press to work it loose. 

IMG_1456.JPG

These hoses was what seemed to be making the worst mess in the tractor.  They were oozing a little fluid out around the seams, and then two were clogged solid with that slimy yucky oil that was loose in the system.

IMG_1457.JPG

The front axle was next to come off.  About the time I got it free, I had a rude reminder that Dave had the front tires filled with fluid.

Gee, thanks... that exercise was really good for me.

IMG_1459.JPG

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#39 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:04 PM

The transmission was one of the biggest mechanical problems on the tractor.

Dave explained the problem best when he dropped it off.  "It takes two men and a boy to shift from high to low."

Since I was only one man and I never could round up another man and his son, I was never able to shift the transmission.   I feared the worst, maybe a gear had been speed shifted once too many times.

Thankfully, it was not as bad as a I thought.

The hydraulic pump came off very easy.  Four 3/8 bolts hold all that torque down. 

IMG_1537.JPG

The transmission weighs approximately three tons... or so I tried to convince myself as I lugged it around.  However, everything on it was a pain to get apart.  The hubs would not budge first, then they came loose.  The side cover bolts must have had a generous coat of lock tight.  They were even more fun to crack loose.  Then we had to work the side cover off.  I didn't think that would happen for some time, but it came. 

And then, once that cover came out, the meanest, grossest, most disgusting smelly tar poured out.  I can't even label that stuff oil.  Or grease, either, since any regular grease would be ashamed to be associated with it.

It was like a vaseline.  Except it stunk to high heaven. 

Once that junk was smeared out of the way (and all over my pants, too) the rest of the parts fell out fairly easily.  That "oil" did not do a great job of protecting metal parts.  I doubt if it did much of a job at all.  There was quite a bit of surface rust on some of the gears.  Thankfully, it brushed off without leaving any pitting.

The two speed selector was on the side cover.  It consists of a couple planetaries and the shifting mechanism.  Once I was able to see it my heart beat slower since nothing looked torn up or destroyed.

The planetaries looked like this:

IMG_1357.JPG

Once apart, they seemed fine.  Moving on, I tried to pull the shifter rod and fork down from the housing.  A little tug became a big yank once became a light pry to a full size pry to a small hammer to a big hammer to finally a press. 

Once it came out, I knew I had found the reason why it took two men and a boy.  Considering how hard to came out, that boy must have been extra strong. 

IMG_1356.JPG

The guilty party was little cute oil seal that protects that shaft.  It had gone to the happy home of all old worn out seals years ago and the carcass left did no good.

IMG_1355.JPG

The hole in the housing didn't look much better.

IMG_1353.JPG

However, a little reaming, polishing, oiling, and repair made it slide back in 100 times smoother than it came out!

IMG_1538.JPG

I think Dave can fire the extra man and his boy now.  He can shift the transmission by himself. 

Ben W.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1458.JPG

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#40 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Here are some more miscellaneous pictures from the middle of the freezing arctic of Virginia in March 2015. 

The transmission spent quite a bit of time like this:

IMG_1441.JPG

The tractor looked like this for most of the winter as well, monopolizing three jackstands and dreaming of spring.

IMG_1428.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1436.JPG IMG_1440.JPG

The brake pedal shaft seemed to have fared the worst of any part on the tractor as far as corrosion went. 

IMG_1433.JPG

However, a little lubrication got it snapping back to attention without any real trouble at all.

More decal pictures in case anyone cares:

IMG_1443.JPG IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1451.JPG IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1455.JPG

Ben W.

• MH81, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 3 others have said thanks

#41 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:20 PM

Ben, you can bring the finished product to West Virginia to park for a while until Dave has time to get it picked up. :)
  • superaben said thank you

#42 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 852 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the updates! You're doing an excellent job!!

#43 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:52 PM

Glad to see your able to work on it again,I heard things were a little cold up your way,I picked a good winter to go to Florida,think it might just happen next year again

#44 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 11:22 PM

Looking good  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

As cold as it was,  I wasn't surprised that there wasn't much progress.

Especially since I know that your shop isn't heated.

#45 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 09:45 AM

More decal pictures in case anyone cares:

Ben W.

Given the scarcity of that model, whether anyone cares about pics of the decals is irrelevant. Thanks for documenting them.
  • OldBuzzard, LPBolens and superaben have said thanks