6 replies to this topic

#1 Spaceboy5 OFFLINE  

Spaceboy5
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 62693
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Still hard at work on my well-worn Cub Cadet Original. I just replaced the reduction shaft seal in the transmission, and stopped my rapid gear oil leak. I had to split the tractor to do so, and when I got her all back together and filled with tranny oil, I wanted to go for a ride. But I quickly ran into a problem. When I depressed the clutch, the drive shaft wouldn't stop spinning. The slip is due to the throwout bearing not sliding on the shaft. It's supposed to slide and compress the clutch loading spring, but instead is just pulling the whole drive shaft with it. There is also a bit of play at the rag joint. The joint isn't being pushed tight against the reduction shaft, leaving room for the drive shaft to slide back. I'm led to believe that there's a shot snap ring somewhere along the drive line at fault. On another forum, I read this response regarding the same model and problem:

"if the driveshaft had no groove in it that the bearing could get hung up on check to see if the pinion is being pushed back into the reduction case,when you push the pedal down the driveshaft is movin back instead of compressing thge spring.if thats the problem a od snapring is at fault..."

It's hard to understand due to the composer's poor grammar, and the resolution of the issue wasn't posted. I'm sure that the fact that I split the tractor and disconnected the drive shaft at the rag joint was what screwed it up. That gives me hope that the problem won't be hard to fix. Clearly other people have experienced this before, so I'm open to possibilities. Thanks in advance!

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Not sharp on these, but recall there is a big Ball bearing, just one ball that sits in one junction and if it is not there now, might make a bit of movement? The ball sets on end of shaft and think maybe a hollowed out slightly drive coupling, can't recall.

#3 Spaceboy5 OFFLINE  

Spaceboy5
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Eh... I doubt it. Don't think there's anything like that in the drive line, but I'll keep that in mind.

#4 Spaceboy5 OFFLINE  

Spaceboy5
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 08:37 PM

There's something that should hold the drive shaft in place though. That "snap ring" would explain it. I'll have to look again tomorrow. Too late right now.

Edited by Spaceboy5, November 30, 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#5 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 10:32 PM

There is a locking collar with set screw at the very front of the driveshaft which should be flush with a flanged bearing . That should hold the driveshaft from moving rearward when the clutch pedal is depressed .

Its right above the  A  in the picture below .

Clicking on the picture makes it larger .

Attached Thumbnails

• Original Chassis.jpg

Edited by Jlaws, November 30, 2014 - 10:51 PM.

• diesel nut and Spaceboy5 have said thanks

#6 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 499 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 12:18 AM

There is a locking collar with set screw at the very front of the driveshaft which should be flush with a flanged bearing . That should hold the driveshaft from moving rearward when the clutch pedal is depressed .

Its right above the  A  in the picture below .

Clicking on the picture makes it larger .

:yeah_that: 

Also I had one at work about 3 months ago that I had to fix the return spring on and checking the clutch over because the owner complained about hard shifting I found that there was a spot worn on the shaft where the release collar rides. Also there is a bushing in the collar that was worn to.  It made it bind just enough that the shaft kept spinning.  I had it out so I had a new shaft made and bushing put in because the owner wanted it fixed completley but I'm pretty sure just the shaft or bushing would have fixed it.  That might also be something to check on yours.  Hope this helps.       Stewart

• Spaceboy5 said thank you

#7 Spaceboy5 OFFLINE  

Spaceboy5
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 12, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Awesome! Really helpful guys. Thanks for the diagram. I've noticed that the collar you speak of is not there. It must have come loose and fallen off. But I'm not sure that I recall the collar ever being there in the first place, but I'm probably mistaken. I'll have to look around my barn floor and see where it went.