#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 05:29 PM

This is not a project I'm tackling soon but is in line. I have a '69 444 PK one away from the pampering block. I already have 2 Case' with sleeve hitches. I found in my shop 2: 1/2" x 23" arms that I had made as a linkage but after studying them realize these could be easily made into lower lift arms. My question is, has anyone ever thought of installing a Cat 1 instead of a 0. The 1 could always have bushings put in for 0 attachments. Would the arms have to be any longer for Cat 1? I've never owned anything Cat 1 and notice they are much more common and cheaper. Of course, I understand not all Cat 1 is sized right. There is still quite a selection. Lets say more of a limited Cat 1. Any thoughts?

Eric

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Once bought a heavy Grader box, 5ft to use on my Power King. It was Cat one, BUT, has Cat O spacing and was to be used on Scut (right name?) tractors. I DID have to  use Cat O pins in it to fit my arms, but was right width then. Standard Cat 1 stuff is little wider and you MAY get it between your arms, may not. I have also turned the pins to the inside on the implement before and that keeps it some narrower. I did find the box was a little too heavy for the PK to use, did lift, but didn't pull when loaded up with gravel. Was a nice box too! Sold it at a loss, just to get rid of it, but was hard to re-sell even tho like new.

• dropped82 said thank you

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Check this out...

Attached Files

Edited by KC9KAS, November 30, 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#4 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 07:23 PM

That's a good write up. Achieving a 26" span wont be hard. My concern is using a Cat 1 top link with a shorter lower arms. I've looked at some Kubota lower arms to get an idea. I wonder what's the shortest top link I can find. That would be my limiting factor I would think. I want the arms as close to the tractor as I can get to keep the heavier implements up and stable.

Glgrumpy, was it power or traction when it came to pulling that box? I always see used cat 1 discs anywhere from 4' to 6'. Same with the back blades and even maybe a pond scoop. Just some thoughts. I don't think I can pull a 6' disc but maybe a 4.

Eric

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 08:28 PM

Traction!  Big 24" wheels and once you loaded up the box as it does, any small grade would get wheels spinning and sink you in a moment. Trying to play with 3pt up/down wasn't any better. A box is supposed to fill or at least hold a lot to do the floating needed to level uneven driveway, which I was trying to do. My drive is on a pretty steep hill and up was not going to work at all, but even Down hill was only good about 1/2 way before trouble.

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Thats interesting and exactly what I'm looking for. makes me wonder if i should go this route or not.

Eric

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 06:44 AM

I had a JDx475 with a "limited" CAT 1 hitch. The limited refered to lift height. The lower arms had an extra bend in them to make them wide enough to get a 26" cat 1 implement mounted. Lift height was about 10" which is not as much as a full size hitch. Almost all implement companies make small cat 1 stuff to fit SCUT tractors like the Kubota BX series. These tractors are about the same size as a super GT but tend to weigh more and have 2 range transmissions and 4wd. They can pull harder than most large GTs but for most jobs the GT can get the job done although it may take a bit longer.

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I put cat 0 pins on my scraper blade and just let my arms enough to fit the cat 1 blade.

#9 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 03:34 PM

I use a 60" Woods scraper blade behind my JD 445.  The blade came with both cat 1 and cat 0 pins.  The JD has a cat 0 hitch and it seems to work well if you don't try to pull so much material you loose traction.  The JD hitch arms have the standard ball mount on each end, and a pair of crossed chains in the center to limit the spread on the outboard end. 

Category 0 dimensions:

http://salesmanual.d...oint_hitch.html

The chains can easily be adjusted for either the cat 1 (26.8") or the cat 0 (20") pin spacing. 

Category 1 dimensions:

http://salesmanual.d...00-500-700.html

I could have purchased either category 0 or category 1 lift arms when I bought the tractor new.  The dealer advised me to get the category 0 arms as most equipment meant to be used with this size tractor came with category 0 pins and spacing. 

A few years ago I also made a mount for my Cadtrac to use the blade on the front.  I find I use it more now as a push blade for snow than I do as a scraper blade for dirt.  It's nice not to have to look over your shoulder to remove the snow. 

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 06:47 PM

This is still in planning stages. Its great to hear all the experiences using the Cat 1.

Eric