• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 04:56 PM

I went to put my gas tank back on the GT 19 (was off the tractor when I got it) and heard something rattling round.  Turns out it is the tube from the fuel fitting (suction fitting screws in from top of tank)  it busted off and was rattling around. I was gonna use regular 1/4" black fuel hose on the  fitting but cannot clamp any way, hose itself O.D. is too fat to fit thru the 1/4" NPT hole by itself... any ideas besides ordering the fitting with the hose from Ariens? 

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,530 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 05:12 PM

One way could be to enlarge the hole to where your hose will slide through. And put a connector on the outside of the tank. Was there a filter on the pickup?

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 07:12 PM

no filter that I saw.. I unthreaded that fitting and it had about 1" of the remainder of the suction tube left on it the rest came out the fuel fill hole when I flipped the tank and shook it  It looked like at one time the line within the tank was that clear fuel line that chain saws and weedeaters use though it was larger diameter than that. I put a piece of 1/4" standard black fuel hose on it and it fit the barb on the fitting kinda snug, but didn't seem like it wanted to pass thru the hole... too "fat"

. how do I enlarge hole when it is threaded for that 90* fitting to thread into it... 1/4" pipe thread in plastic tank... no way to fasten 90 to tank if I do that, do not want to just have it "flop"

be nice if maybe I could braze a piece of 1/4" steel line (like automotive brake line) to that 90 to stick down into the tank...

Edited by dodge trucker, November 30, 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#4 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 08:44 PM

how about a piece of 1/4" vacuum line? it's not reinforced, smaller OD

or check with the local power sports shop for some 1/4" fuel line. a lot of snowmobiles used similar setups with the hose laying in the tank

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:02 PM

How big of a hole do you have in your tank?

Modern zero turns use this piece here to get the job done:

06-788%20Fitting%20TN.jpg

The long end goes through that black rubber seal that sticks into the side of the tank.  You attach hoses to both ends and "voila" you have go-juice!

Ben W.

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:43 PM

yeah I have a few of those bushings (bought a 10 pack from pats small engine the last time I ordered there)  but no fittings... that may be a possibility. I'm thinking what Wm mcNett says, may be the answer but it is Sunday and no place open to get anything right now

but yeah Ben that fitting looks just like what I have but it is threaded  1/4" NPT, instead of being smooth with a barb for a grommet.

IDK why they put the fuel fitting into the top of this tank rather than the bottom.

Edited by dodge trucker, November 30, 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:50 PM

IDK why they put the fuel fitting into the top of this tank rather than the bottom.

Probably had to.  Emissions regulations are rough on these manufacturers.

Ben W.

#8 Markski OFFLINE  

Markski
  • Member No: 62299
  • 21 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm not quite sure what you're describing but a rubber  bushing with a fitting and fuel line should work and since it's a suction (fuel pump) system it makes sense to draw the fuel out of the top and not have to worry about leaks like you could have with a fitting in the bottom of the tank.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,530 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 04:41 AM

The only good reason to switch to the top that I can think of is, trying to drain the tank to remove it. When it is on top, you can just slide it to the side.

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'm not quite sure what you're describing but a rubber  bushing with a fitting and fuel line should work and since it's a suction (fuel pump) system it makes sense to draw the fuel out of the top and not have to worry about leaks like you could have with a fitting in the bottom of the tank.

Well Mark, you did take this machine apart LOL... (though I realize it may have been a while ago)  Where the fuel line connects to the tank, that metal fitting threads into the top of the tank/  it had a hard plastic tube below the threads that hangs inside the tank,  ("hardness" may be from age) That plastic pickup tube was busted off and laying inside the tank, and what plastic was left on the metal fitting, had split, much like the seam on a toilet paper tube.  I'd bet that when new, that hose was heated slightly to soften it while the fitting was pushed into it then when the tube cooled it shrunk around that hose barb.  

good thing I didn't just mount the tank and put a little gas into it and try to start the engine/ I would have been goin crazy trying to figure out why it ran with the fuel line dropped into a 5 gallon gas can positioned below the tractor but would not run, when hooked up to its own gas tank....with regular 1/4" fuel line hose (I tried it) the walls of the fuel line hose are too fat to fit thru that hole that the metal part of it threads into.

I would just think that having the fitting in the bottom would help the fuel pump not have to work quite as hard as gravity would help fill the lines and "push" the fuel as the fuel pump pulls.

I saw somewhere (in the Ariens manual that came with the machine, I think) that on "early" models of this series tractor, the fuel fitting was in the bottom, while "later models" were set up like mine with the fuel draw from the top of the tank.

Edited by dodge trucker, December 01, 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,530 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 07:24 PM

I would just think that having the fitting in the bottom would help the fuel pump not have to work quite as hard as gravity would help fill the lines and "push" the fuel as the fuel pump pulls.

I saw somewhere (in the Ariens manual that came with the machine, I think) that on "early" models of this series tractor, the fuel fitting was in the bottom, while "later models" were set up like mine with the fuel draw from the top of the tank.

On my S-16, the fuel line comes out the bottom. And the way it is routed leaves very little wiggle room to work around. On the Gravely, which is the same as a GT 18, I could remove the tank and install the rear pto without disconnecting the fuel line.

I agree with you that it seems the pump would have to work a bit harder with this setup.

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 09:47 PM

I have never seen a Gravely 4 wheel tractor that didn't have the engine mounted in the back. though I hear they had a model (or series) that is the same tractor as Ariens' S/GT series.  Did these too have the engine mounted in the back and just have "some" parts the same as these Ariens models?

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,530 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:36 AM

The only diffrence that I found so far, is the hood. It has the original Gravely style hood and every thing else is Ariens. All my attachments for the S-16 fit over on the this Gravely.

post-6172-0-77900300-1411848352_thumb.jp