135 replies to this topic

#121 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Daniel, i was wondering whats going to happen as well. i could add a tensioner sprocket to the middle of the chain? I dont know if it will pull the sprockets out of alignment either? when it comes timeto test it, it will have a guard and ill start it at idle with no load then slowly add load and rpms until im sure its safe.

Keith, the chain will always be spinning. I planned on clutching the rear belts that will drive the splined pto shaft. I know it could be dangerous and will have proper guarding before i even begin to test it. I didnt have much choice but to use a chain drive due to space constraints.
Both of you guys have a ton more experience than i do so i greatly value your opinions. I refuse to settle on something that isnt functional and safe. If you have another way i could go about it please dont hold back. As you can see i have no problem completely changing my plan as i go.

Edited by hammerdwn20, December 04, 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#122 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:27 PM

I have the same dilema on my ford, I need a PTO that doesn't need to have a sub frame to run it . (Bolens tiller runs the wrong way so I had to reverse it with a right angle gear box) . I wish I see the entire rig. but I think you will figure it out , your doing a pretty nice job so far.

#123 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:34 PM

I myself am having problems designing a rear pto for my diesel Bush Hog. Mine is much worse, as with my engine orientation, I have to reverse rotation on my rear pto to work with my tiller. Finding a reversing/reduction gearbox is out of my price range for now. I think I can go twin belts from crank to pto feeder shaft, then twins up to a reduction/reversing gearbox. But I'm going to have to wait till I dig up some gold first. A gearbox like this will work for me on the rear:
ptogearbox3.jpg

About the cheapest I can find these is $300, then I'd like a twin sheave electric pto clutch for the crank stub....another $250 to $300!

33-121.gif

#124 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Daniel, why dont you try building your own gearbox?
FYI there is a NOS FF Sears 2 speed pto gearbox on ebay now for 100$ dont know if it reverses roation but seems like a good deal.

I also considered an electric clutch. there just isnt the room for it and they only come with large pulleys. i would really have to slow the shaft down by the time it got to the rear

#125 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 07:18 PM

Wow! That's a great price on that Sears gearbox, however, it's a 3 gear unit, so no reversing of rotation. I've actually considered building my own gearbox, but quite an undertaking at my skill level & my old limited tooling.
Also, later in the coming year, I should be getting a Massey 1855 2spd differential that I will be putting under the diesel JB. So really I can't do any rear pto fabbing until I get that installed.

#126 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Got some work done on the rear pto

machined some DOM tube for the bearings to press into then made 2 frame brackets.
The rear still has a lot of steel work left to do. nothing is welded yet. Dont really have a plan so its going pretty slow.

[ATTACH]28929[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]28928[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]28927[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens pto 003.jpg
  • bolens pto 002.jpg
  • bolens pto 001.jpg

#127 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Impressive work

#128 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:04 PM

I like the way you ran the shaft inside the frame rails. Makes for a nice clean installation. I did use a chain on a Lister install and I did have some doubts. So far I haven't even had to adjust it. I used #50 size chain.
100_4188.jpg

I should mention that the wood inserts in the pillow blocks were just used during construction.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4189.jpg

#129 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:38 PM

i also used #50 chain. Im going to add an idler sprocket as a tensioner. Pto engagement will be done by an idler pulley at the rear belts

#130 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:33 PM

I made slotted mounts on both ends of the shaft for the bearings so I could make adjustments. My two sprockets were too close together for an idler. There is some noise involved when the shaft is turning but nothing annoying.

#131 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Awsome Frank! Looking great! Not sure you need double shives though, a single belt will handle a ton of power? Might save some room too.
Boy it would be cool to get a pto clutch on the end of that shaft, then you would not need a funky belt tensioner out back, just make the pto shaft /pulley ajustable if need be. :thumbs:

#132 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 09:54 AM

You guys amaze me! If I ever decide to build a nuclear submarine I'm calling you! Nice work - all of you. :worshippy1:

JN
  • Cvans said thank you

#133 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Awsome Frank! Looking great! Not sure you need double shives though, a single belt will handle a ton of power? Might save some room too.
Boy it would be cool to get a pto clutch on the end of that shaft, then you would not need a funky belt tensioner out back, just make the pto shaft /pulley ajustable if need be. :thumbs:

I went with the double pulley because the front uses a triple belt setup. id would rather have it be overkill than not work. A pto clutch would make it easier but i think i need to stay on course or i might never get done. Ive redone too much already

#134 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Frank, the "Bolenbota" is coming along well! I may not end up putting rear pto on the diesel Bush Hog, as I just don't have the time to put into it. I have the Massey "2055", the JBI w/twin cylinders, OE JBI, the Allis 620, and the Allis 720....all with rear pto. So I can't justify the time & money to put the rear pto into the diesel right now.

#135 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 05:45 AM

because Ive redone too much already

NEVER!
Heck, I am constantly re-doing my rigs, in fact I'm re-doing the rear pto gearbox as I type! And if I can get my duff more motivated I'm going to re-do the entire back side to incorperate the 3 point hitch with a live pto shaft combo , consisting of 3 different shaft options all in one neat package .And it will be on both my tractors.
I really REALLY like how the 3point came out on my older LGT ,and want to use that as the base, it works, and looks amazing.
So don't feel pressured to settle! Make it just the way you want!
It's just more fun that way ! :thumbs:

Edited by olcowhand, February 11, 2012 - 07:40 PM.
fixed the quote