135 replies to this topic

#1 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hey guys! Im new to this site and found it through MTF where i frequent.

I picked up a Bolen 1250 a few month ago with a hard cab, tiller, blower and mowing deck. The engine was pretty tired in it and a few weeks later the ignition module went on it. Ive had a kubota d722e sitting in my garage for a while and decided to put the two together.
Heres what i started with
bolens 1250 005.jpg
bolens 1250 003.jpg

I took some measurements and found out i needed to lengthen the frame about 8 inches to get the engine and radiator to fit. I bought some frame rails and a steering wheel from a bolens collector. I cut my original frame in the middle of where the old engine sat. I used a piece of 3/8s flat stock to hold everything straight.
bolens 1250 008.jpg
I cut 2 8" pieces from the frame rails i bought
bolens 1250 010.jpg
here is the 8 inch piece test fitted.
bolens 1250 011.jpg
Welded in. I also cut some pieces to fill in where the factory made the cut out in the frame for the wisconsin engine. Once i strip the frame down for paint i will weld some angle iron on the inside of the frame rail to bridge the splices.
bolens 1250 013.jpg
Here i test fit the engine to determine the height and placement. i had plywood bolted to the engine mount locations and it sitting on a bunch of 4x4s
bolens 1250 014.jpg
i then took some 3/8"s flat stock and bolted it to the crank pulley and flyswheel stub shaft so the engine sat the same height as it was on the wood. i was able to remove the plywood from the motor mount location on the block.
bolens 1250 015.jpg
Next i need to work on my motor mounts and radiator mounts

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens 1250 002.jpg
  • bolens 1250 001.jpg
  • bolens 1250 004.jpg
  • bolens 1250 016.jpg
  • bolens 1250 009.jpg
  • bolens 1250 006.jpg
  • bolens 1250 007.jpg
  • bolens 1250 012.jpg

• accidentalchild said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 10:18 AM

Good cutting/welding work there! These Kubota engines sure are gooduns. I see your steel wire brush is about as good as mine! LOL Looking forward to more on this project.
And a hearty welcome to GTT!:thumbs:

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. You did some nice fabricating!

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 08:43 PM

:welcome:Glad to have you on the site. Thanks for the pictures on your project.Looks to be a project that we will follow with great interest. Please keep us posted.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 09:09 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, Very nice fab. work you've done there. Can't wait til you get more done on it. Keep posting pictures please, we love pictures...

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 09:17 PM

Nice work there. I like the conversion. What are you going to to do about the hood?

#7 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 08:55 AM

my wire brush has been replaced since then. I think i got my moneys worth out of that one.
The hood will need to be lengthened or a new one made. All the sheetmetal on this machine is pretty beat up. I also need to make a new dash panel for all the gauges i have planned. Tach with hourmeter, water temp, oil pressure, voltage and EGT.
I ordered some new rubber mounts for the engine yesterday. im going to bolt some 4" x6" angle iron i have to either side of the motor and then bend some 1/8" flat stock to go under the oil pan between the two angles. i want to protect the oil pan incase the pto u joint decides it doesnt want to play anymore.
I know i want it to have a 3 point with a separate hydraulic cylinder. im still up in the air on power steering and turning brakes.
If you guys have any suggestions just throw them out there!
Frank

#8 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:10 AM

i know you guys like pictures but i can do one better.

Edited by MH81, February 27, 2011 - 09:28 AM.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:25 AM

:welcome: to the GTTALK. Nice work. Glad you found us.

BTW: I edited your last post so the videos show in it. I hope you don't mind.

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the video. Keep us informed.
If I can ask what did you use for a radiator?
What was the reason you end for ended the engine?

#11 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 10:24 AM

thanks for putting the videos up like that!
The radiator is out of a walker zero turn mower. i bought the Walker with a bad kubota gas motor. i picked up this used D722e with radiator while i looked for the correct D600 diesel that belongs in it. I found one over the summer and swapped them out.
The D722e is tired and needs a rebuild. i want to fabricate everything and get a test run in before i tear it down. Depending on what it needs i might be able to get a low hour diesel shipped to me like the d600 was for what it would cost to rebuild it.
The wisconsin that was in the tractor before turned clockwise when looking from the front so i had to install this engine the same way. Definitely made this a little harder. if it had been the other way around i could have used off the shelf parts for the drive shaft adapter and pto stub shaft. If i do another conversion i would use an eliminator series tractor since their engine are the other way around
  • ducky said thank you

#12 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 06:47 PM

Worked on the engine mounts today for 6 hours. I just tacked everything in place for now until my rubber isolators show up. The website gave the dimensions for them so i went off of that.
The first thing i did was bend some 3/8" x 2" flat stock at 90* to copy the factory front engine mount. i notched the frame at the bottom so it would sit flush with the edge and tacked it in place.
Im also trying to keep down on the places that will hold dirt or water. ill probably box this piece to the frame to do just that.
bolens 1250 018.jpg
Next i made these mounts that the rubber isolators will sit in. They are 2"x2"x1/4" angle with a 3/4" hole drilled in them. my rubber isolators as 2 piece and will sit on either side of the angle.

bolens 1250 023.jpg
This was the factory front mount. I cut it off and made 2 more like the ones above to weld on at the same height as the rear ones i already made. I think ill have better support with them closer to the pto.
bolens 1250 019.jpg
This is all of the mounts tacked onto the frame.
bolens 1250 024.jpg
Here is the engine side of the motor mount. the vertical section with the angle cut in it will be bolted to the engine with 4 bolts. The area inside the pink marker with the X in it will be cut out. 2 45* gussets will be welded to reinforce the angle from the pink lines to the engine side of the plate. a nut on either end will be welded on to recieve a bolt from the frame side of the engine mounts shown above. The same plate will be repeated for the other side of the engine
bolens 1250 025.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens 1250 021.jpg
  • bolens 1250 022.jpg
  • bolens 1250 020.jpg

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 08:00 PM

VERY nice work hammerdown! I think you know you'd not be truly happy without power steering, especially with how nice everything is coming along. Besides, it another challenge, and I can tell you love a challenge! I'll likely be adding turning brakes to my conversion also, but I'll have to look the whole idea over good, once I get the components. Looking forward to all your updates!

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted February 27, 2011 - 08:17 PM

VERY nice work hammerdown! I think you know you'd not be truly happy without power steering, especially with how nice everything is coming along. Besides, it another challenge, and I can tell you love a challenge! I'll likely be adding turning brakes to my conversion also, but I'll have to look the whole idea over good, once I get the components. Looking forward to all your updates!

:ditto:

#15 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 10:13 AM

Sweeeeet! Great fabrication there. I'm extremely jealous of that fancy yellow hoist you are using to lift the cab with. Sure beats having to ply four strong neighbors with free beer to help lift it!:thumbs:

It looks to me like you are well on your way to a great diesel conversion. Decided what you're going to call it yet?

JN