#1 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 531 Thanks
  • 601 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Just got this today --starts easily and purrs like a kitten... (Its really THAT quiet, with a crap muffler on it --and is not lack for power.)

8hp Briggs, 3-speed trans (no granny low), and recoil start only.  Headlights are wired together, and don't function. 

It needs some work, and I will be replacing pretty much the entire frame.  Someone welded in the trans, welded the back plate on, destroyed the front axle, and blew up the brake drum. (has no brakes)  I have a buddy with a Custom frame that he is going to drop off for me to use.  Plans for this tractor are to use it as an ATV.  I plan to make some accessories that won't alter the tractor, just make it more functional and "fun."  I don't plan to beat the snot out of it.  

But, until I get that frame, I plan to upgrade the exhaust, make some adjustments, and tighten all of the rattly pieces up --I want it to be a quiet machine so that I can drive it in the woods without disturbing the peace.

Anyone have an idea on year, or have links to a manual?  It's the equivalent of a Custom 8m

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1129141439.jpg
  • 1129141440.jpg
  • 1129141440a.jpg
  • 1129141459.jpg

Edited by Dane M., November 29, 2014 - 10:54 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 11:00 PM

I'm thinking 67 or 68

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 11:33 PM

Looks like a good little tractor.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

• Dane in PA said thank you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,809 Thanks
  • 6,603 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Don't know Roper's, but suprised not a Tec engine, same as "Sears".  Looks pretty good shape. All Welded? PO didn't know how to buy bolts tor have tools to reach them in these awkward spots? They are a bear with Nuts that need to be held in tight spots and bolts that don't come out w/out holding the nuts. I've had Sears and found that very frustrating while working on them. Have to also assemble in correct order or you won't reach some bolted places once another part is put on. BTDT too.

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Not a bad looking tractor, sorry about all the issues it has. 

I like the roper grill as the headlight a flipped from the Sears models and the top half is sometimes aluminum, most Sears are fiberglass....and broken! Like the square fenders too!!! 

From the hood and grill design, you are looking at a 73-76 model tractor, based on a Custom frame, front axle tells that story along with the single range 3 spd tranny. I think the RT8 was maybe a '74 model.  Sears didn't not make an 8hp after 72 in the suburban line so that was a Roper only motor. Roper usually used Briggs or Onan's not sure they used and Tecs in their tractors. 

• Dane in PA and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 531 Thanks
  • 601 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:58 PM

Not a bad looking tractor, sorry about all the issues it has. 

I like the roper grill as the headlight a flipped from the Sears models and the top half is sometimes aluminum, most Sears are fiberglass....and broken! Like the square fenders too!!! 

From the hood and grill design, you are looking at a 73-76 model tractor, based on a Custom frame, front axle tells that story along with the single range 3 spd tranny. I think the RT8 was maybe a '74 model.  Sears didn't not make an 8hp after 72 in the suburban line so that was a Roper only motor. Roper usually used Briggs or Onan's not sure they used and Tecs in their tractors. 

Sears use Briggs in their Custom line of tractors for two years --'71 and '72, and both were 8hp.  The 8m and 8e.  That being said, I'd think it would follow those years, or slightly after --so your estimate isn't out of the park.   This one also has an Alum. grill.  

It's most certainly a Custom-based tractor.  (Best line, in my opinion)

I was also lucky enough to get these tonight --for nothing but a tire change.  Almost brand new Carlisle 8.5 Tru-Powers.  I'm not sure if I'll be putting these, or my set of new 10.5s on this tractor once I change the frame around...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1130141721.jpg

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Yea, I think Sears/Roper must've been trying Briggs those two years as most of their tractors used Briggs in 71 & 72 across all the lines.

I'm still betting it's a 73 or 74 from the grill as those didn't go in production until '73. I found a pic of a '74 RT8, looked just like yours, but it was fully restored....pretty tractor. I like the low stance of the custom, but not being able to use the front suburban attachments have always kept me from them.

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,003 Thanks
  • 28,948 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Wow, nice tractor and a set of good shoes for it.

#9 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 531 Thanks
  • 601 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Thanks guys --I appreciate the kind words.

#10 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 531 Thanks
  • 601 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Put the new seat and tires on.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1203141756a.jpg
  • 1203141755a.jpg
  • 1203141755b.jpg
  • 1203141756.jpg
  • 1203141821.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,571 Thanks
  • 2,854 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 09:02 PM

She's looking real agressive now with new boots on. Sorry too about all the problems but you already have made some good progress. Keep us updated.

#12 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 531 Thanks
  • 601 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 10:29 PM

She's looking real agressive now with new boots on. Sorry too about all the problems but you already have made some good progress. Keep us updated.

All it needs urgently is a new front axle --I can deal without brakes, as I don't plan on taking it trail riding this winter.  

Eventually the main components/tins will be going on a 10xl frame, so I'll have the 6-speed high/low.  I will probably be adding a larger engine pulley or smaller trans pulley at that time, and seeing about adding a magneto to the engine --as I'd like to use the headlights and possibly add a battery to run an electric sleeve-hitch.

• Sawdust said thank you