• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I what does the people around here think of that idea?  I didn't do the research but the PO of my Ariens GT 19 had bought these to put onto the front, 16-6.50X8's.  I know it needs them, I was looking at some Carlisle turfs for it (do not remember the model of Carlisle I was looking at) in a 4 ply. 

I went and got the rest of the extra parts he had dug out for it and these were part of them. 

My biggest worry I think is them only being a 2 ply.  Will they be sufficient for the weight? tread wise they look like what my son has on his ATV.  I am going to run a 54" snow plow on it this year and in the future if I stumble onto a deal for a 2 stage blower, I may eventually get one for it.
At this time I do not plan on using it as a mower, just snow removal and occasionally pulling my popup camper around the yard and my utility trailer.  that may change down the road, but not as long as I have a Woods ZTR mower around....

The PO said that at least at the time he got them he did not see any listings for a 4 ply version of these Snow hogs, and I looked on the sidewalls/did not see any weight capacities listed on them.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:05 PM

I have them on my Jacobsen 1200 with a two stage 36" blower. They are ok but.. I plan on changing them.

They cause it to steer hard with the added weight on the front and they love to pick up the leaves on the ground. (A little to much grip IMHO)

If I had just a plow on front I would leave them on it.

• Moosetales and dodge trucker have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:53 PM

I have the 2 ply 16x6.50-8 snow hogs on the front of my Craftsman Gt6000 that I used for plowing, they steer great in dirt, mud, and do decent on concrete, etc. I originally bought a set of 4 ply 18x6.50-8 snow hogs slightly taller but would definitely fit the rims. I never installed them. The 2 ply I can jump up and down on the front bumper and it wont squat too badly. I say go for it.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:05 PM

I have them on my Jacobsen 1200 with a two stage 36" blower. They are ok but.. I plan on changing them.

They cause it to steer hard with the added weight on the front and they love to pick up the leaves on the ground. (A little to much grip IMHO)

If I had just a plow on front I would leave them on it.

IDK how big or heavy a Jacobsen 1200 is, I know my Ariens GT 19 is ~950lbs without any accessories hanging off the front

also this tractor has P/S... all I have for it so far is the plow but there may be a blower in its future, no line on a blower at the moment...in the interest of being married, I am not actively looking for a blower "right now"... also as this GT being new to me/ and I have yet to actually USE it for anything (still debugging and fixing issues like hyd leaks)  I want to run it a bit, before I sink the money into any more attachments... BUT I do not want to have to buy a different set of tires for it for different usages of the tractor.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:12 PM

I have the 2 ply 16x6.50-8 snow hogs on the front of my Craftsman Gt6000 that I used for plowing, they steer great in dirt, mud, and do decent on concrete, etc. I originally bought a set of 4 ply 18x6.50-8 snow hogs slightly taller but would definitely fit the rims. I never installed them. The 2 ply I can jump up and down on the front bumper and it wont squat too badly. I say go for it.

I have the 2 ply ones here but have not mounted them yet.  the current (original from new I think) turfs are showing some dry rot but still have some decent tread on them (for turfs) Plan B is to stuff tubes into those for the time being.

I did not do any research on Sno Hogs, but the PO told me that all he could find were 2 ply, in that lineup of tires so that was what he bought for it at the time. he wanted something aggressive for the front that would accommodate the ags that he put onto the back wheels... the current fronts seemed to "plow" straight ahead no matter where they were steered in snow and ice, he said... I can relate to that. from past GT/LT's I have had, and tried to move snow with. IDK if "all" Sno Hogs were but these particular ones that I got from my tractor's prior owner are Carlisle brand.  I have had good luck with Carlisle over the years.

I have Sno Hogs on my Deere 828D walk behind snow blower (that was what came with it) and they seem better than typical snow blower tires plus chains. I do not have chains on the Sno hogs on the Deere but it does like to "one wheel peel" and not go anywhere when I do not have the diff lock engaged... with that locked in it seems unstoppable. 

My tractor on the other hand does not have the diff lock.(may be moot since the sno hogs are for the front of a 2wd machine anyway)

Edited by dodge trucker, November 29, 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:15 PM

He is right, all Snow hogs in 16x6.50-8 are 2 ply. To find 4 ply I has to go to the 18x6.50-8. I haven't used them yet. Not sure if I ever will.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,750 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:16 PM

I would try them out. If they don't work out, I bet you can trade them for new or nearly new turfs on CL in about 24 seconds.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:39 PM

on car and truck tires they list a weight capacity at max weight right on the sidewall. I see no such markings on these.

I don't see an issue going to 18s on the front as long as I ain't mowing (that might make the deck not hang level under the belly like that)

and even in a 2 ply, the 18 has more sidewall than a 16, which I would think by itself would increase capacity without going to a 4 ply...

like has been said though,  I am going to try the ones I have at the moment, since it seems popular opinion seems to say  that they won't pop or wear prematurely from being too light for the machine.     "a bird in hand"/ "run what you brung"

I am not too worried about them tearing up grass, even if I do try to mow with it eventually....my yard is no golf course

with or w/o sno hogs what is the consensus of chains on the front of a gt? (I think I have a set here that may fit the backs too)

Edited by dodge trucker, November 29, 2014 - 10:40 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,750 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:48 PM

From what others have posted about using snow hogs on the front, you shouldn't need chains with them. Without? I haven't ever had an issue running a plow, but I did have new V-61's on the tractor I did it with.

thing 1,2,3 blade 002.jpg May 2012 018.jpg

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 11:26 AM

Would think front chains would just slide more while trying to turn. Hard surface to hard drive surface?  No rubber on tires to get good grip then, being held up by hard chain.  In another posting about puting on chains is an "Official" usage guide about putting them on and one of questions was for front chains. It stated no help on 2 wheel drive tractors.  I've never gotten too interested in the plys of tires when buying them, maybe I should?  I think tires are getting cheaper made to keep costs down and what used to be common in 4 or 6 ply is now uncommon. Myself am happy long as they hold air and stand up like they should, ha!  I have had to put many a tube in them, as the rubber cracks in treads and leaks, but with tubes, good to go for long time once again! I DO use 3 ribs on most of mine, more for looks than for duty. Don't think the tread on fronts is gonna be that big of deal, unless they are nearly bald or hard as rocks.