• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 s78wingrider OFFLINE  

s78wingrider
  • Member No: 63637
  • 5 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Wisconsin serial No. search says made in 42?  history of tractor says made in mid 50's Aaron

Edited by s78wingrider, December 02, 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#17 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Here is the catalog page for it.

MW Catalog.3.JPG

#18 16tractor OFFLINE  

16tractor
  • Member No: 65739
  • 13 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 01:10 PM

Hi s78wingrider and all,

I also recently acquired a Montgomery Wards Tractor.  Mine is a Power-Trac Rider, same as in the picture Lauber1 showed earlier in this thread.  Model MID 5055A.  It has a Wisconsin  model spec # WMC-BKN-122076. From the research I've done, I believe this is a 7 hp engine.  I have five attachments: sickle, plow, disk, rototiller, cultivator plus the sulky.  It seemed pretty amazing to me because the plow had never been used.  The manual was still wire tied to it in the original envelope.  I attached a photo of the tractor.  Will get one with sulky hooked up and post also.  It seems to be in pretty good shape.  This power-trac seems to be a really cool little work horse.  I'm loving the manual raise/lower foot pedals.

Worked on the magneto over the weekend.  Cleaned the points and now is sparking great and fired once for me.  Somewhat blew out the inners of the muffler when it fired. The previous owner said it has been sitting for a while. Then cleaned carb, sediment bowl, lines.  Haven't gotten it started yet but feel that I'm pretty close.  Any pointers?  Is there an easier way to continually  turn the engine over other than with the pull start rope?  

It's missing the gear shifting lever.  I would love to get ahold of some wheel weights and snow blade.  Then I would be cookin.

Hopefully I can expand the garden this year!

Thanks all,

Eric

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02955.JPG
  • DSC02958.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#19 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 05:49 PM

that's way cool, not many of these left around. Good to see you have some attachments with it too.

#20 16tractor OFFLINE  

16tractor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Lauber1.  Here are a few more pictures I took yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0010.JPG
  • IMG_0015.JPG
  • IMG_0017.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#21 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Absolutely fantastic find. Nice heavy Midland mower, and what ever you do don't let that plow touch the ground. This is the way a DB plow also would have came to you from the factory. Usually they were dip painted, tags attached when dry, tie wired together and most of the time wired to a piece of wood. If you can mount it up with out take it aprt that would be great, other wise figure out some way to display it. Very hard to find attachments still in a factory bundle.

• MH81 said thank you

#22 16tractor OFFLINE  

16tractor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 03:56 PM

I'll have to say, it's hard for me to collect something and not be able to use it...  That being said, I didn't realize it was that hard to find those attachments in that condition.  I guess I should tell you that I don't believe the disk was ever used as well.  It still has a paper tag and the hitch is folded back on itself.  I was really hoping to have everything functional for my garden this spring but I'm hearing I should keep the plow in it's factory condition.  How hard is it to find these used attachments otherwise?  

Thanks,

Eric

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0018.JPG

• Gtractor said thank you

#23 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 05:30 PM

nice disc. Your really at a point now where you'll have to decide, should I use them or put them up and find a cheap crappy tractor to work the garden. It looks like you have at least a pair of NOS attachments. So much so that they have been untied from there bundles. Once you cut the wires you cant go back, so choose wisely my friend.

• 16tractor said thank you

#24 16tractor OFFLINE  

16tractor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the advise.  I have some time yet before spring.  I think I will search for some other used implements.  Other than craigslist and auctions, do you know of any other site and would have stuff like this for sale?  

#25 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the advise.  I have some time yet before spring.  I think I will search for some other used implements.  Other than craigslist and auctions, do you know of any other site and would have stuff like this for sale?  

You could put a want ad up in the classifieds here. Don't know where you are at here in Ohio but the Portland IN swap meet in May would be a good source too.

• Lauber1 and 16tractor have said thanks

#26 16tractor OFFLINE  

16tractor
  • 13 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 03:06 PM

That's a good idea and actually not too far. Did you say there is a classifieds page somewhere on this site?   If so where might that be?

#27 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 03:36 PM

Here is a link to the classifieds.   http://gardentractor...e-trade-wanted/